Search

hotel info

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 04:55 AM
stephen bostock

hotel info

I would like to travel to New York in November.Is this a good time to visit New York and can anyone suggest a hotel for a good base around $150 for my wife and i.Stephen from England

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Owen O'Neill

September and October will have better weather but November is usually tolerable - a bit brisk and sometimes overcast. Temperatures will range from 30's to 60's (fahrenheit). November can be nice in that the first 2 or 3 weeks have a bit less of the tourist throng than some other times of the year. Be aware that the period from around Thanksgiving weekend (when the famous Macy's parade is held) until new year's is a very busy tourist season in NYC and many hotels are booked long in advance, especially the more affordable ones. During the first 3 weeks of November you should have no problem getting a hotel within your price range. Use the search function for this forum to check - there are many available for $150 or less.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 08:07 AM
sheri

Just one caveat to Owen's comment about the first three weeks in November being "no problem" for finding an inexpensive hotel room: I managed to time my annual NYC visit at the same time as the NYC marathon last year, and had the worst time finding a moderately priced room! So you may want to find out when that is scheduled for, and avoid that weekend. I ended up staying at On the Ave on the Upper West Side, which I liked, but due to the demand, the rates were higher than I've seen posted here. On the plus side, I was just a few blocks away from Central Park, so we went and watched the finish of the marathon!

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Christina

Whatever you do, don't come to NYC during Thanksgiving weekend. Not only is is difficult to find a moderately priced room, hotels actually raise the rates that weekend so they are a lot higher than normal. I know, I was there last year and I stayed in a "moderate" hotel (by NYC standards) that had raised its rate $100 a night for that weekend (from about $175 to $275 per night). I think the rate was okay on Thanksgiving night but then went up for Fri and Sat of that weekend. Plus the museums were wall to wall packed with people.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 10:41 AM
lisa

I can recommend two hotels in your price range. The Hotel Edison is in the theatre district in midtown, convenient to Broadway and Times Square. I've stayed there many times and it's a good value for the price -- great location & clean rooms. Recently refurbished. The website is www.edisonhotel.com

The Hotel Beacon is on the Upper West Side, which is a more residential neighborhood. Near Lincoln Center, convenient to Central Park, and very close to a subway stop. This neighborhood is less touristy than the theatre district, a bit quieter but still with a lot going on, and has wonderful restaurants and shopping. The website is www.beaconhotel.com -- it's a bit pricier than the Edison. With both of these places, you may be quoted a better price if you call directly and ask for the lowest rate for the nights you're interested in.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 03:51 AM
stephen bostock

Thankyou for all your help,Stephen from England