Search

Hotel in Eugene?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Eugene?

I would appreciate a recommendation for a hotel in Eugene - two adults. We generally like to stay in or near the downtown area of a city The Valley River Inn sounds interesting as does the Campbell House.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Have you checked out Trip Advisor recommendations? That's where I would start if I were you. Then again, if I were trying to save money (you may not be), I'd be trying Priceline.com.

I stayed at the Hilton (via Priceline) in downtown Eugene a few years ago. It was basic but fine, great location; I'd stay there again, but I like downtowns and walking, and it's not a far walk to the U of O campus either. I think the Valley River Inn isn't quite downtown but is in a decent location.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM

You're better off with Campbell House or Hilton for location as far as walking places. Valley River Inn is next to the mall and a few stores/eateries on a strip but not walkable to downtown.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Actually Valley River Inn is the nicest property in Eugene - It is next to the mall - but has a nice dining area on the river, walking/bike path- you can rent bikes there - I recommend it.
There is not much to downtown Eugene- I cant think of much of a reason you would want to go there- it is in a constant state of being revitalized - but not much has happened yet.

I have heard that the passing trains can make Campbell House rather a noisy place for sleeping.

Residence Inn by Marriott is also nice- across the street from the river and walking trails and close to Alton Baker park

Oakway Mall is really where most of the better stores are now - not walking distance but a short and easy drive.

I live in Eugene so let me know if you need more info
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM

If you want a nice place for a meal and like to wine taste, don't miss King Estate winery. ***kim***
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM

The thing is if you have a car nothing's too far away because Eugene isn't that big. The Valley River Inn is in a better scenic area by the river and literally a 10 min drive to downtown.

If you want to be within walking distance to campus and some funky shops and restaurants as well as the 5th Street Market, then downtown is a better option.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM

If you are interested in a B&B check this out
Its walking distance to University and has a lovely restaurant as well

http://www.excelsiorinn.com/theinn.htm
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Oh, yes. It's been forever since I've been to the Excelsior, but it's held up to it's great reputation for many, many years.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM

We just stayed in C'est La Vie Inn. It's in a funny neighborhood in Eugene but is the most lovingly restored Victorian B & B with a nice garden and soft luxurious bed. It's certainly not a hotel but what a special place to stay. Cookies and tea too! We found it in the Fodor's Guide and thought it was comfortable and reasonable and included breakfast of course.