Hotel in downtown St. Louis

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 12:15 PM
sandy

Hotel in downtown St. Louis

Can anyone suggest a safe, reasonably priced hotel in downtown St. Louis near the ball park? Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 03:43 PM
ca

Try the Adams Mark, it is very reasonably priced on weekends! It is approx. 3 blocks from the stadium.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 06:07 PM
gmd

Marriott Pavilion is just across Market Street from Busch Stadium.

Also within walking distance is Hampton Inn at Union Station (on Market Street).

A little cheaper is Ramada Inn at the Arch (7 - 8 block walk, or $1.25 on MetroLink) on Washington Avenue.

gmd

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 07:54 PM
sandy

Thank you both for your responses. We don't mind walking a few blocks or so, but is it a safe area after dark? Will the entire area be busy after a game? We'll have kids with us and be there on a weekday evening, when the rates will be higher.... I will check those you suggested....any additional rec's and comments appreciated!

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 07:29 AM
ca

The Cardinal games are almost always near sell outs, which means that at least 30 thousand people will pour into the streets, so it is safe to walk to the hotel. Another hotel to try is the Regal Riverfront(I think this name is correct, it changed names a few years ago) This hotel is across from the stadium parking garage.
Also when in St. Louis be sure to try to visit the Cardinal Hall of Fame and the Bowling Hall of Fame. These are both located across from the stadium and are great fun for kids. Also downtown is the City Museam another place that kids love. The Arch is another family activity, you can take the tram to the top(if you are not claustrophobic). There is also an Omnimax theater in the base of the Arch.
Just outside the city is the zoo, art museam, and the science center-all free admission. Your hotel may have a shuttle to these places.
One suggestion about the Stadium, get there at least an hour early if you want to see batting practice. The players also sign autographs for kids but the line gets very long! If you consult the Cardinals website you may be able to find out who is signing aotographs that day and what promotions are going on.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 09:50 PM
George

If you haven't already done so you might want to check hotel rates at travelscape.com, expedia.com, betterdeals.com, etc.

Previous poster is correct. Attendance at Cardinal games is terrific. Most of next weeks games are already sold out. (hope you arranged for tickets already) You'll have plenty of company walking back to your hotel no matter where in downtown St. Louis.

ca mentioned several great cheap places to visit while you're there. Also downtown in what was the regular downtown Dillards Dept. Store is their discount center. Four or five floors of everything 66 - 75% off. You can kill some time there very easily.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Sheila

We are staying at the Regal Riverfront which is directly across from the ballpark for $125 a night next week. I have had my reservations for a few months because they sell out pretty fast when the Cardinals are playing at home. We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn a few blocks away but we did feel safe walking with the crowd after the game.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:33 AM
ca

I am glad that Sheila mentioned about having tickets early especially the Cubs series and the Reds series. These are probably already sold out. Also a warning St Louis is a "sizzler" during the summer, it is generally 90 plus degrees with very high humidity. Bring water to the baseball game(unless you want to buy it for three dollars a bottle from a vendor.) Also use sunscreen on your kids because the stadium is only partially covered, depending where you sit, first base side is shady, third base is in the sun.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Sandy

Thanks everyone, for your responses. Sadly, I assumed we could walk up to the ticket window and buy tickets - LIKE WE HAVE THE LAST FOUR YEARS!!! - but not this year. I guess we're out of luck - or are we??!!! How likely is it that we can buy some legitimate seats off the street? In Cleveland, Jacobs Field is always sold out - over 405 consecutive games in fact, but tickets are usually available on any given night. PLEASE tell me what you think our chances are next week, mostly Thursday. My dh and ds are going to be so disappointed.

In fact, last year as we approached the stadium, we were HANDED four free tickets from a church group that had too many! And we saw Mac hit a homer! Not quite like being at the Jake, but not a bad night, all in all!

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it!

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 10:41 AM
ca

I checked the Card's website and yes the Red's series is sold out, but the Giants game on Fri the 7th at 7:10 still has seats. The game on the 7th is giving away a McGwire commemorative pin, your kids may like that. You can try to find tickets the Red's game outside the stadium but be prepared to pay top dollar. I would try calling the ticket office(the number is on the Card's website)they may save some tickets for walk-ups.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:56 AM
TH

I second the vote for the Regal Riverfront. We stay there every year for fourth of July and we live ten minutes from there. It's a great location. Ask for an arch view in the north tower. And if you want a special meal, eat at the top of the riverfront in the Regal. It's a revolving restaurant that views the downtown riverfront, the stadium and the old courthouse.

Also there are always baseball tickets being sold outside the stadium but be careful, if you are paying more than face value, it is against the law.

There is a roller coaster film showing at the science center omnimax which is five minutes from downtown that the children might enjoy. The zoo is great and the peddle boats on the lake in Forest Park are a lot of fun too.

If you're looking for shopping, the St. Louis Galleria is great and about ten minutes from the Regal.... have a great time.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:53 AM
kathleen

Avoid the Regal Riverfront at all costs!! I'm a meeting planner and took 80 people there this April...it was so awful and dirty that the hotel had to rebate every guest with my group $50, just under half the price the hotel room. Complete dump!!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:59 AM
kathleen

Avoid the Regal Riverfront at all costs!! I'm a meeting planner and took 80 people there this April...it was so awful and dirty that the hotel had to rebate every guest with my group $50, just under half the price the hotel room. Complete dump!!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 07:45 AM
sarah

Drury Hotels also have two downtown hotels. One is at Union Station and the other is new in an old building (the international fur exchange building).
It is suppose to be very nice and it is right by the Arch on Broadway. Both
are about equal walking distance to
the ball park. Also can check out the metro stops will take you from downtown, to forest park, all the way to the airport.

Number for Drury is 800 325 8300.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Sheila

I am sorry to hear about the Regal Riverfront as I am staying there next week. I have never had a problem before or I would not be going back. Hopefully, they have cleaned up their act since April. I will report back when I return from St. Louis.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:48 PM
jjj

If you're still looking for tickets you might try postnet.com (for St. Louis Post-Dispatch), click on "Classifieds" and then "tickets." There you'll find the 800 numbers for ticket brokers, but they usually charge about double the price, probably more for a sell-out.

All ticket sellers get a little more nervous the closer to game time it gets. And if the game has already started you'll probably be able to get them at pretty close to regular price. And then there are always those who happen to have extra tickets and offer them at cost. (or you may luck into the situation as you did with the church group with extra tickets)

good luck

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Greg

This ad is in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Cardinals/Reds tickets, 4 tickets for 7/5 & 6. Face value. Mike, (915) 620-0845.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 06:02 AM
TH

I'm also sorry to hear about the Regal being in poor condition. I'm staying there Sunday night and will report back on Monday.

We've always had a pleasant experience and stay there every year for fireworks after the fair.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 07:34 PM
melissa

Please do report on the condition. I have reservations on the 7th. They were about the 15th hotel I called though, they may be the only chance in the downtown area.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 08:33 AM
anne

Just checked out the new Drury Inn on
4th Street across from the arch and next
to the Regal Riverfront. It is gorgeous. If you can get a good deal may want to check out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -