Hotel Help Los Angeles

Search

Hotel Help Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Help Los Angeles

Haven't been on here in a while, we have 3-4 days in LA at the beginning of December. We are from Australia, and it is our first time in LA, we want to see as much as we can, are not interested in Disneyland etc. At this point I'm trying to get a handle on which area would be best to stay, for a couple, just out sight seeing, we will probably be hiring a car. Our budget is between $100 and $175 per night, but cheaper would be better. Off to Las Vegas afterwards to get married, very excited, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:21 AM

www.betterbidding.com

Westin Bonaventure usually best for me bidding priceline $70

for me when there last an awesome location.

www.lasightseeing.net
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:21 AM

carrentals.com usually Fox for me very cheap out of LAX
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:23 AM

www.vivalasvegasweddings.com

Congrats!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Fox has a very bad reputation for customer service, though, so beware of their cheap prices. Pay the extra dollar or two to get another car company. Enterprise is the best, IMHO.

Here is one little hotel we like, which is about three blocks from the Venice Beach pier:
http://www.innatvenicebeach.com/
Its rates are about $130, including a continental breakfast. Parking is about $7/day.

There are other hotels in that Pacifica group that are good, too. This one in Marina del Rey has free parking:
http://www.innatmarinadelrey.com/

This area of L.A. is where we stay, because we like to be near the beach. From these locations, it is relatively easy to drive up to Malibu, visit the Getty Center or the Getty Villa (both I highly recommend) or Greystone mansion or Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, etc.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM

I agree with PeaceOut re staying on the Westside.
We always stay near Culver City - the Marriott Westside is a safe, clean and easy option but a little pricier than the choices PO gave.

The only place we go east is Pasadena. The Page & art museums are really the easternmost spots normally.
Getty is cool, Santa Monica (try and hit the farmers market), Culver City for light strolling, a drive on the coast up to Santa Barbara (or AT LEAST Malibu) are musts too imho.
Beginning of December the weather could be cool but nice or rainy (prob both). You'll see snow in the mountains around LA if it rains though - that helps ease the pain, it's beautiful.

Griffith Observatory is cool too and can be combined with a quick obligatory tour of Hollywood, then picnic lunch up there.

Have fun.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Australians get the best car hire rates from NationalCar or Hertz, the collision and liability insurance should be included in the final price quote. (California is the only state where liability is not provided by the car rental company.)

Hotel should be chosen based on what you want to see and do. This modest place is in a decent area near the GROVE and the Farmer's market, with parking included:
www.parkplazalodgehotel.com
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM

Another good choice in your price range, street parking only but the hotel provides you with a "resident street parking permit" to park alongside the hotel:
www.wilshirecresthotel.com
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Wow guys, thank you so much for all the suggestions above. I'll digest and have a look at them all. Have used priceline extensively before and would like to again, so it's great get this help. Thank you
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Me Again, are there any pitfalls to staying in the Santa Monica area? thank you
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Just traffic. On Sat and Sun it's not too bad, but you have a long haul/ slow going on weekdays if you plan to visit Universal or Warner Brothers, downtown Los Angeles, Museum of History, The Science Center, Griffith Observatory, Huntington Gardens, The Walk of Fame/Hollywood etc.
Santa Monica is a great choice, but you shouldn't plan to , for example, check-in to your hotel room mid-day for a refresher . Once you're out for the day to any of the places mentioned above, you're out FOR THE DAY. No back and forth.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Many visits to the area. Santa Monica the ONLY place I care to stay in.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I tend to agree with the traffic comment, and would add the parking issues as well -- but if you're staying in Santa Monica you won't really have to be concerned about parking issues (costs, really) in Santa Monica.

Also, because rush hour traffic changed course (literally) around 15 years ago, commuters flock in from the east to the west in the morning (heading towards Century City and Santa Monica) for work, then starting around 4 p.m., the cattle drive starts moving east. Trying to get from Santa Monica to the 405 (at Sepulveda) at 5 or 6 p.m. can be painful.

But going from Hollywood or Century City towards Santa Monica at that hour is usually a breeze.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM

I second Surfergirl
ALL LA traffic sux to some extent, but staying mid-city just because you are going to Griffith or museum area for 1 day doesn't make sense. On any day, heading east between 9 & noon and west afternoon/evening is no big deal.

The only negative to SM to me is cost (make sure to add parking in too).
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM

We have always found the Best Western Century City to be very conveniently located for any attraction as it is so close to the 405 and the 10. Haven't stayed there in a year but the rates were always reasonable and included breakfast. They do charge extra for parking, though.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Great advice guys, thank you. It sounds like Santa Monica it is. Now... priceline
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 05:52 AM
ltr

Sana Monica is a great area. As several others have mentioned parking is the biggest problem. It will most likely run between $25 and $35 a day and not included in your Priceline rate.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Note the hotels I mentioned above have free parking or $8/day covered parking. They are not in Santa Monica per se, they are in Marina del Rey and Venice Beach. Santa Monica itself is pricier.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Note the hotels I mentioned above have free parking or $8/day covered parking. They are not in Santa Monica per se, they are in Marina del Rey and Venice Beach. Santa Monica itself is pricier.

There is also a Marriott Courtyard in Marina del Rey, which has a large, free parking lot. It is a nice hotel, with a pretty pool area in back. Basic setting, though, in a parking lot with stores.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Ooops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -