Hotel Help Between LAX and Palm Springs

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Help Between LAX and Palm Springs

Will fly into LAX late and want to drive part of the way to Palm Springs. Any suggestions on town/hotel for stop over. Am not familiar with any of the towns on the 10 to Palm Springs.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM
hsv

If you are going to arrive at LAX during rush hour, you are indeed well advised to make a stop-over IMHO. Why not try Pasadena? I has a beautiful Old Town section with lots of restaurants that are fun to stroll to. Most of them are located in the area around Colorado Blvd..
A nice hotel there might be the Westin. The Courtyard by Marriott has a great location, too.
From Pasadena it's going to be approximately a 2 hour drive the next day. But it might well take you about 2 hours from the airport to get there.

Slightly further in that direction, Monrovia appears to be a developping area. It also has a nice center of twon that would offer a few choices for a nice dinner, especially if you count in Arcadia in the same area.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM

You mentioned that you are flying in "late", so you will probably not run into too much traffic if it is late at night. From LAX, just head north on the 405 to the 10 east. If you want to head away from L.A. towards Palm Springs, Ontario is about mid-way between the two on the 10 fwy and, because the Ontario Airport is nearby, there are quite a few hotels/motels. Check out tripadvisor.com for that area - the ride from Ontario to Palm Springs the next day should only take about 1 1/2 hours.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM

What time are you arriving? If it really is late, then you might be better off driving all the way to Palm Springs because you will not have to deal with the traffic. If you wait until the next morning, it will a longer trip although you will be going against most of the traffic.

Hsv's recommendation of Pasadena is a good one although I would never consider Pasadena on the way to PS from LAX. It is actually out of your way about 10-15 miles. However, there is not much on I10 so again depending on the time you arrive, it might be choice. You would definitely enjoy your stay there if you get there in time for dinner and a walk around. But then, you would be heading for Pasadena during rush hour and it could take you 1.5 hours or more to get there.

If you are getting in really late and am worried about being too tired to drive all the way to PS, I would suggest trying to get as far east as you can. Redlands has a Comfort Inn and a Dynasty Suites which get good reviews. Although San Bernardino is not a place I would normally stay there is a Best Western on Hospitality Lane that is decent. My friend stays there a lot for business and she is pretty picky.

Anyway, let us know more about your plans and flight times and we can help more.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM

As Sherri said, Ontario is also a good alternative and you would have more choices in hotels by the Ontario airport. Without traffic drive time is a little less than 1.5 hours into downtown Palm Springs.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
hsv

paula,

I am well aware that Pasadena most likely is not on the direct route from LAX to PS.

However, I just tried to think of a stop-over place that's really nice. All I could think of in the general direction was Pasadena, which IMHO has a vibe about it that makes it really attractive.

However, as a (frequent) visitor my expertise most certainly isn't as well founded as yours.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:34 PM

hsv-I know why you picked Pasadena but just wanted to let the OP know that it is a little out of the way. As I said, there is nothing very appealing along I10. I love downtown Pasadena and if petsitter has time to go there I would recommend it. Although I now live north of San Diego, I lived in Monrovia at one time. It definitely has changed for the better. Thanks for mentioning it. The shops on Myrtle Ave are cute and that street has been used in many movies.

I guess it all depends on what time petsitter is arriving at LAX as to what plan fits best.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your much needed help. Ontario was the only place on the map I recognized. I was hesitant about some of the other cities not knowing anything about them. I did consider Pasadena (have tourist info and it looks nice) but we don't land until 10 p.m. which for us 50-somethings is bedtime! I will look into Redlands, Monrovia and Arcadia. Thanks again!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I live 2 minutes from Pasadena and Monrovia and I would not chose Monrovia over Pasadena. THe suggestions for hotels in Pasadena are great and I think you'd enjoy walking around Old Town the next day. Then take off for PS around noon and you'll miss any traffic. Monrovia's hotels are next to the freeway and not near the shopping district (unless you consider Comp. USA and Office Depot "shopping".

Oh the flip side, arriving at LAX at 10:00 p.m. means you won't get in to your Pasadena hotel until a little before midnight (unless you get your luggage and rental car FAST) and to pay for a hotel in Pasadena will be sort of a waste of money if you have to check out around noon the next day.

If I were you, I would stop by a self to a Starbucks with extra shot of caffeine and just drive to PS that night. You can take the 10 directly from the airport and be in PS in 2 hours max.
If you really want to see Pasadena...let me know...I can answer any questions you might have...use my PM since i don't check fodors every day.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM

ok, I must admit...you won't get from LAX to PS in two hours..but at the most 3 hours... maybe you should just stay at a hotel near the airport...not real thrilling, but as I said, you wouldn't get to Pasadena much before midnight, so why spend money on a hotel there either? Why not plan a day in Pasadena on your return?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM

tennislvr-Actually they probably could get to PS in 2 hours at that time of night. Looking at the map, it's a 121 miles from LAX to downtown Palm Springs. That's taking the 91 to the 60 to the 10 route but I would imagine the 405N to the 10E wouldn't be much different (and much less confusing).

However, sounds like you will be pretty tired. I still would try to get away from the west side of LA before stopping for the night if you don't think you can make it. That way you don't have to fight LA traffic the next morning. Do you have a particular time you need to be in Palm Springs? If you aren't checking in until the next day, then you might as well stay in Pasadena and look around Old Town in the morning. Just get on the road no later than 1 pm and you should make decent time to PS.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:01 PM

I based my info on the fact that we can make it to PS in 2 hours and we are 35 minutes from LAX (with no traffic in both cases). So I figure at a minimum it would take a visitor to these highways 3 hours.
And this is all calculated on driving with my hubby who never drives the speed limit - always 75-80 mph.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM
lvk

Hi Petsitter,

If you don't land until 10pm (assuming no flight delays), you then have to retrieve your luggage and get a shuttle to the rental car. That puts you on the road at 11pm. I don't know about you, but I don't like driving in an unfamiliar city late at night.

I would opt for an LAX area hotel, and get up early the next morning to make the PS drive.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM

We drive to Palm Desert frequently from the LAX area, in two hours, by leaving at 10am. (Friday's would take longer) No one has suggested the 105 Freeway east, out of LAX, it's speedy. We then take the 605 south for a couple miles and turn east on the 91 to Riverside and then the 60 east.

I agree with Ivk that you should just spend the night at an airport hotel, and go out the next morning. (Remember 10 am, no sooner, no later!) I suggest the Embassy Suites on Imperial Blvd. in El Segundo, you are out the door and right on the 105.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:15 AM

I would also stay in the LAX Area when you arrive and head out the next a.m. (after rush hour would be best). I would take the 105 Fwy E to the 605 N and then the 60 E all the way to Palm Springs (it turns into the 10 out by Banning). I think taking the 60 right from the LA area is easier than going to the 91 and then getting on the 60 out in Riverside Area.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Cali-I think your route would be the best also, less confusing and avoiding the 91 is usually a good idea. Petsitter, it probably would be better to just stay by LAX. Take MBnancy's advice about leaving for PS around 10am.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for suggestions. It was helpful to have suggestions for which roads are best to take. We actually booked a hotel in Upland which is about half way (I think!) on the 110. After looking at all your suggestions I may have to rethink this.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Oops! I said the 110 but I meant the 10. I'm starting to feel like a real Californian saying "the" in front of all the road number!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:37 PM

petsitter-I think staying in Upland would be fine if you want to drive part of the way when you get in. Where are you staying in Upland? I am not aware of any hotels in Upland right off the 10. Ontario Airport is only two exits past Upland so there are many more hotels there. Let us know what hotel you picked.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:49 AM

My sis just moved to Southern Ca from Nortthern CA and thinks it's hilarious that everyone uses “the” in front of freeway numbers. In northern CA we don’t say the 80 or the 50, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information