Reload this Page >

Hotel for two nights on the Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Denni

We're spending two weeks in Hawaii on February, most on Maui, but have the chance to spend a couple of days on the Big Island before departure. Any suggestions on things not to miss, transportation on the island, a nice hotel not too pricey, would be much appreciated.

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 08:30 PM
Kelly

Denni,

Because you'll already have had ample opportunity for waterfalls, whales, and beaches, I would fly into Hilo (if possible) and drive straight to Volcanoes National Park. Accomodations in the area are quaint and reasonably priced (IMO). My personal preference is Kilauea Lodge. Depending on the number in your party you can do a room at the main house or, like us, rent a cottage. We loved it there and wished we had stayed for at least two nights instead of just one. Even if you don't stay there, it is one of the best places to have dinner on the island.

Volcanoes National Park is a truly remarkable natural wonder that shouldn't be missed. We hiked several trails, as well as trekking out to the lava flow itself, so if you'd like additional details let me know. There are many easy hikes, but the best way to experience this park is by taking in some of the more difficult trails.

If you're not into the "volcano" thing, or are limited to flying through Kona, you may want to consider staying near Kailua-Kona. There are many reasonably priced hotels/condos in the area. On this side of the island, I would head south of Kona for a day of exploring the coffee farms, Place of Refuge (great history of the islands), and possibly Capt. Cooks monument.

The Big Island is such a vast, glorious place, you'll have to be very specific with only two days to spend there. If you let us know what types of things you're interested in and what type of accomodations you're looking for, that might help narrow it down.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 03:25 AM
annemarie

Our favourite place on the Big Island is the Hilton Waikoloa Village and you may be able to get the Bounce back rate which inlcudes a buffet breakfast. I twas reasonable comparatively speaking when we went 3 years ago. The above posting is right though...if you are going for the park you may want to stay closer.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 11:28 AM
Gail

Denni: i've stayed at both of these places a few years back and I'd go towards the volcano. It's awesome, unique and extremely interesting. The lodge in the park is nice, don't miss the pie, and you can check out the black sand beach near the flowing lava.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 06:25 PM
Denni

Thanks to all who have replied. The feedback was really helpful. I'll try to get back with more specific questions once I've sorted things out more. Thanks again.