Reload this Page >

hotel for five hours vs. airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
jetset1

Here's my situation.. my two kids and I(all seasoned travelers and not toddler age), are arriving into Seatac at 1 am. Our next flight doesn't board til 6 am.
Is it worth finding a cheap room for those few hours, or do some of you occasionally "rough it" and try to rest at the airport? My 16 yr. old and I are both light sleepers, and my 11 yr. old would likely sleep anywhere. Thanks, J.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends upon where you are coming from and how long you have been traveling, and where you are going, and how long that leg of your trip will be.

Maybe a shower and nap in between the two might be in order.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It wouldn't really be five hours that you'd have in a hotel room. Your flight could arrive late (I know, they never do!). It will take some time to get to a hotel, check in and get to your room. You would have to be back at the airport at least an hour, probably more, before your flight leaves to get through security and get to the gate on time. So, you'd probably only actually have two and a half hours at the most. Not worth it to me. Also, you don't say where you'll be arriving from, so you may have immigration to go through.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
jetset1

Sorry, in my haste, I forgot to mention we arrive from Anchorage( three flying hours)..
I think we'll just find somewhere to curl up at the airport. Yikes, but since we have two award tickets(heading to Calif.), I am not complaining.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Your 5 hours would turn into maybe 2 or 2 1/2 at the hotel - hardly worth it.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:30 PM

If the airport has any of the airline clubs, you might be able to pay to go in and at least get a snack, a quiet comfortable chair, and some have showers.

Just pack your alarm clock in your carry-on!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
jetset1

kelliebellie~ I checked the Alaska boardroom, but they are closed during the wee hours.. does anyone know if others remain open all night? Maybe I could get a one time pass. J.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:29 PM

That's a pretty rough time for a long layover. Most everything will be closed except for the restrooms--restaurants and gift shops will be closed, and probably the club rooms will be too. I've had 5+ hour layovers with my kids when they were both toddlers but not at that hour. Pack a towel, thin blanket, sheet, or something that you can lay on the ground inside the airport and get some sleep. I don't remember the seats in Sea Tac, but some airports have armrests on each chair to avoid people from laying down across the chairs.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:04 AM

I disagree with the others. You can get a 2-3* hotel at the airport for ~$30-35 through Priceline.com. Sure it's only 2-3 hours of usage, but the airport will be under a shutdown except for the restrooms. If the layover was during the day, I would tell you to forget the hotel option and enjoy the airport, but this weird connection makes me recommend just the opposite.

You may not be able to get any sleep either way but in my book, to actually have a place to relax, take a shower, have a comfy bed to take a short nap, watch TV if so inclined, and possibly have the ability to get some food is worth every penny.

decisions, decisions.....

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with AA traveler. I would opt for an airport hotel for the time period. Bring some snacks and relax. Can you really sleep while someone is vacuuming off in a distance or at that hour lurking off in a distance. I would see if there are any hotels really close and go take a nap and watch some tv.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:56 AM
jetset1

I think finding a cheap place will be best. At least I can take a hot shower(before bed), my younger son will be comfortable, and Mr. teen night owl can do whatever!
Being that our luggage will be checked through and the flight boards by 6:15, we could go directly to our gate.. I just hate to think of trying to stretch out on the floor or sit upright for 5 hours.
Plus, the hotels are right across the road, so literally a five/ten minute ride.. thanks for your input, J.

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Also think about transportation at that hour. Will it be easy to get to the hotels, are the shuttles running, are cabs available? Just something else to consider.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it is worth further investigation... The Raddison et al. are within spitting distance of the airport. If you could get a good price and they offer shuttle service in the middle of the night, a shower and laydown for everyone for a few hours would be well worth it to me.