Hotel for 1 night in Honolulu

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel for 1 night in Honolulu

I thought we were going to be able to fly direct to Maui using our frequent flier miles, but we wouldn't be able to get home! So to fly free we have to fly into Honolulu and won't arrive until 11:30 p.m. local time (which is like 4:30 a.m. to us!) We will probably spend some of next day seeing something on Oahu - either Pearl Harbor of the famous surfing beach or Waikiki. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions? I am thinking near airport would be good so we don't have to drive so far when we arrive because we will be tired! (unless of course we manage to sleep on plane)
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:19 PM

If you do a search here for "honolulu airport hotel" there are several threads.

What time does your flight to Maui leave? If you will have a few hours on O'ahu, why not choose a hotel in Waikiki. you can get there on a shuttle. The next day you can walk around Waikiki, then shuttle back to the airport. You could get to Pearl Harbor via public transport. If you have enough time, you could rent a car for the day to drive up to the North Shore.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:02 AM
iceeu2

I used priceline for our 1 nighter in Honolulu in March and got a 3* for $60
at the Renassaince Ilikai. Check out betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com......There are lots of posts and helpful info on priceline and hotwire bidding.
We just took a cab to and from Waikiki, it was around $25...

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:13 AM

Yes, instead of agonizing over a hotel for one night, I would do the Priceline bid also. Go to Biddingfortravel.com and see what the "going rate" is these days for Waikiki West.

The airport hotels are grim. This is not where I would want to wake up on my first day of a vacation! If you stay in Waikiki you can enjoy the beach in the AM before you head to Kauai.

However, if you are just planning to go to Pearl Harbor, then an airport hotel would be mre convenient.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:12 PM

For our last day in Hawaii, we booked a 4 1/2 star hotel on hotwire for $109 overlooking Waikiki Yacht Harbor. It's fit for a prince.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:04 PM

miscrapper,
I, too, had a problem flying in and out of Maui w/ my AA frequent flyer miles so orignially booked an extra stop in Honolulu. A month later, the airline added a flight out of Kaui thru L.A to Dulles. They changed the flight for me , no cost and reimbursed me the extra flight to HNL. Keep checking the airlines to see if they're adding any flights before you book a night on Oahu.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:11 PM

I had a similar situation on the way to Kauai. A few words of warning. If you're changing planes on your way to Honolulu, bring 1 day's clothes etc. in your carry on bag. Our luggage got lost & we had no change of clothes for our day in Honolulu. Also, because we had to stand in line to fill out lost luggage forms there were few cabs left at 11:30-midnight. Finally, on arriving at the hotel past midnight there was no food available! Be prepared!

If you have all day, I wouldn't stay near the airport. If it's just the morning, stay near the airport.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:04 PM

We did the same thing a week ago. I got a 3* for $50, the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, on Priceline. It was a nice room, and they arranged a shuttle to transfer us to the airport.