Reload this Page >

Hotel del Coronado or somewhere else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Devon

I'm interested in some recommendations on where to stay in the San Diego area. We'll be there sometime in August & are looking for a nice hotel - nice atmosphere, nice quality rooms, etc. I was told a few years ago that the Hotel Del Coronado is beautiful, but haven't heard from anyone who's stayed there recently. Is there anywhere else that we should consider staying?
Any recommendations/reviews would be much appreciated!

Old May 19th, 2000, 01:49 PM
Lyn

Friends stayed at the DelCoronado about 2 years ago. Remember, it is a very old hotel with renovated rooms. Their complaints were that the rooms were very small and extremely noisy - they heard footsteps overhead all night and noise from either side in adjoining rooms. A scheduled 4 night stay turned into one night. I personally have not stayed there, although I have had dinner there. The common rooms are very lovely, but based on their experience, I would not stay.

Old May 19th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Emily

The Hotel Del is a wonderful place but is currently undergoing extensive renovations in honor of its 100th (?) birthday. That could have been the cause of the noises mentioned above or it could have been the GHOST -- at least 2 of the rooms are haunted!

Old May 19th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Devon

What about:
Coronado Island Marriott
Hyatt Regency
Westgate
or
La Valencia?

Any thoughts?

Old May 19th, 2000, 05:49 PM
lori

We went to San Diego for our honeymoon about two years ago. We stayed at Lowes Coronado Bay Resort. It's also on Coronado Island with Hotel Del. It was beautiful - the rooms were large and the service was absolutely wonderful.

Old May 20th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Debra

The Meridian on Coronado is lovely and a short drive to the Del. I have stayed in both places...the Meridian has nicer rooms, and a nice pool, but the Del has better atmosphere (incl. being right on the beach) If there is significant renovation going on, I'd stay at the Meridan, but be sure to visit the Del.