Search

Hotel Del Coronado next weekend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Del Coronado next weekend

Hi there,

My husband, myself and our 2 month old daughter are taking a quick trip to Coronado next weekend (8/26-8/28) to get away from the Texas heat and relax before I return to work. Does anyone have advice on family friendly restaurants within walking distance of the Del? We may just eat all meals on the resort, as the rate includes brunch, but we'd love to hear any tips for the surrounding area. We do not plan to sightsee in San Diego this trip since its so short, so only looking for ideas on the island.

The forecast is high 76/low 68, and since we've been in 100+ heat all summer, I really am not sure what to pack. Should I expect it to be chilly with ocean breeze mornings & evenings? I have no idea what to dress my little one in either....I guess I will plan on getting some longer sleeves and just keeping her bundled up if needed.

Any advice on travelling with a baby welcomed too. We might be cuckoo, but I really need a change of scenery!

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it's a great idea and you are going to a great place. Definitely plan to have a sweater or jacket for evenings. Plan on dressing like you do at home on fall days/evenings. Definitely get longer sleeves for the baby. Probably the best part will be the low humidity. It's pretty much heaven. The first time I went to Coronado I was shocked to see open windows without screens. No bugs?! I couldn't imagine. The flowers and gardens (at private homes) will be beautiful too. Consider getting out and walking around a bit. If you are only going to be there for the weekend, I'd just relax and eat at the resort. If you've never been to San Diego before, you may want to consider taking the ferry over.
http://www.sandiego.org/listing/Visitors/1250
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Sweater or jacket looks a bit strange in SD this time of year (it's summer after all), a sweatshirt hoodie or polyfleece zip jacket will fit in better. You need it mostly for outdoors, if there is wind coming in from the ocean it feels chilly. You won't need to dress up.

I probably would just eat on site as they have a range of restaurants. There is a shopping center just behind the Del with some eateries including the chain La Salsa if you're just looking for an inexpensive meal.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Not really any "right next door" restaurants as the distances between Hotel Del (big but lovely beachfront complex) and main street Orange ave are walkable but not just right next door.

If you have a baby backpack/stroller, walking the main street Orange Ave is a very enjoyable thing that many do. Lots a local shops & rest. I rec Brigantine: reasonable close by to Hotel Del maybe a 2 block walk. Lovely local restaurant chain with great fish: happy hour could fill you up.

Ferry Landing is a looooong walk at the opposite end of Coronado from Hotel Del,,, really a Taxi ride and there are some nice restaurants there with San Diego skyline views across the water. I rec Il Fornaio.

If you do take the Water Ferry from Coranado to San Diego proper, you would also be walking distances: not unpleasant but again city blocks are loooong: you could do this and see the Midway aircraft carrier and I rec The Fish MArket.

Here is a nice Coranado website:note the address for Hotel Del is

http://www.thefishmarket.com/default.aspx
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM

oops ...grabed the wrong website

http://www.coronadovisitorcenter.com...ning.html#null
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! We will have a stroller so will definitely check out Orange Avenue. Ferry Landing is tempting as well, so I guess we'll just see how much energy we have and how the little one is behaving.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM

The ferry landing is on the opposite side of the island so I would take a cab over there unless you really wanted to do a long walk. I mentioned the ferry over to San Diego because I wasn't sure if you realized it was an option over to SD. It's a nice, scenic ride. The Gaslight Historic District is a great place to walk around, shop and eat in SD.

We ate at Croce's which may be an option in early evening. Don't forget the ferry schedule or you'll be taking a taxi over the bridge -
http://www.croces.com/

I'm not sure why a sweater would look strange if "sweatshirt hoodie or polyfleece zip jacket" would be appropriate. I'm not talking about a woolen Icelandic sweater, but just something to throw on at night if you're chilly. We take light sweaters into movies in the summer because the a/c can be chilly. I have more summer/fall sweaters than cold weather ones because we have a climate similar to Texas and 68-70 is going to be a chilly night. Nice, but chilly.

You made a great choice for destination. Enjoy!

Have you seen "Some Like it Hot"? You may want to before your trip
http://www.hoteldel.com/slih.aspx
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM

It looks strange because San Diego and southern California in general are casual and people rarely wear "sweaters and jackets" unless they are in their senior years, going to work or a formal event, or have never owned a hoodie or polyfleece garment.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM

You are saying that southern Californians don't wear sweaters but only wear athletic type coverings on chilly nights?

Okay. I don't think that's true but okay.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I'm assuming you're not from here and are not in the OPs age bracket or you wouldn't question my advice.

It's along the lines of wearing white trainers in Paris.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Well, a lot of people DO wear white trainers in Paris

I took a look at pictures on Facebook and DID see friends from Southern California wearing light sweaters and blue jean jackets on summer nights. The age groups varied from teens to 60s - and every decade in between. They were stylish and happy and presumably warm. In any case, the OP has been given different suggestions and I'm sure she'll make good packing decisions.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM

I was in Coronado the first week of August. We went into "downtown" Coronado twice; the first night we carried light sweaters and did not need them, so the second night we didn't take sweaters and ended up freezing as soon as the sun went down. I am thinking a light cotton cardigan would be fine. After all, this is not a Vogue shoot, and the streets will be filled with other tourists. Wear whatever you are comfortable wearing and defnitely take something light, so that if you end up carrying it you are not bogged down. And by the way, I am from AZ where it is HOT!

We ate at a Mexican restaurant which was very good, called Costa Azul, and saw families with kids there. It was within walking distance of the Del. Also ate at the Coronado Boathouse, which was excellent.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Stylishness is in the eye of the beholder )

I'm pretty sure the last time my San Diego nephew wore a jacket was when he was forced into one for his Bar Mitzvah.

My sister will put on a sweater when she goes out for a fancy dinner, of course, as a hoodie looks pretty silly with a dress. As would white trainers.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM

"I'm pretty sure the last time my San Diego nephew wore a jacket was when he was forced into one for his Bar Mitzvah."

Good grief, mlgb. I said "sweater OR jacket" as something for the WOMAN to wear if the night got chilly. I didn't advise her husband to wear a jacket for dinner.

It's not that big of a deal. The gist of what I was saying was -
If the temps are going to get down in the 60s and she's coming from almost 2 months of 100+ temps, she's likely to be chilly at night and pack accordingly. Pack a sweater. Pack a jacket. Pack a hoodie. Pack a fleece. Pack a shrug. Pack a shawl. Pack whatever she has in the closet.

My suggestion was " Definitely plan to have a sweater or jacket for evenings. Plan on dressing like you do at home on fall days/evenings. Definitely get longer sleeves for the baby"

A lot of people think "California" and think "hot". The nights can be chilly. The last time I was on the bay it was for a corporate event on the High Spirits and I wore my microfiber cardigan I bought from Chico's in La Jolla. The women who didn't bring something were freezing.

The suggestion was NOT re styling, it was re warmth. I'm sorry you have such a problem with the suggestion.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM

"It looks strange because San Diego and southern California in general are casual and people rarely wear "sweaters and jackets" unless they are in their senior years"

Geez, I saw my neighbor this morning wearing a very pretty sweater, maybe she isn't quite as young mlgb is talking about. Late twenties, she grew up in Carlsbad.

If you're spending time at the beach and eating at La Salsa or Rubios, a hoodie is just fine. If you're going somewhere more upscale a sweater is good. If the weather holds up like it's been, you'll be glad you have something a little warmer in the morning.

Daytime temps will be warmer it's in the 80's now but that could change. August is typically pretty hot and mornings are warm. You never know in the desert. Being from TX, you know that.

Please, don't pack the hot weather we'll have enough soon.

This is a young woman with a child! Why would you think she would want to dress like a 13 year old kid at a bar mitzvah?
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM

I wasn't the one recommending a jacket. I was using the Bar Mitzvah example as to how incongruous wearing a "jacket" is by the beach in San Diego in summer. Unless of course you prefer to look like you are on your way to your house of worship.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM

So how is a hoodie or a fleece more appropriate than a Columbia jacket?

You're the only one who imagined a man's jacket
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Bottom line beckytx, bring clothes both appropriate for sunny days and cool mornings and evenings. Wear what you look good in because you'll be on vacation. Have a great time.

If you plan on going to the zoo, wear comfortable walking shoes.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 03:23 PM

migb, there are jackets other than the type you wear to a bar mitzvah. I think you are the only one who imagined that kind of jacket. I don't think anyone was recommending that the OP's house wear a suit and tie to stroll along Orange Ave.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Beckytx, forgot to say, have a wonderful time. It will be so delightful for you to escape from the heat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -