Reload this Page >

Hotel comparable to the Marriott Marquis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:45 AM
Robyn

My husband and I are planning a trip to the city in October. The Marriott is apparantly booked for that weekend so I would like to know about hotels that are comparable for about the same price. I would actually like to go down a little in price but am willing to pay for comfort. I have been surfing the net looking for places but would like some first hand knowledge. Let me add that I have also stayed in the Crowne Plaza at Time Square and really didn't think it was that nice. I think it is in need of a face lift in the rooms. (I was there several years ago so if it has had this face lift I would also like to know this too.)

We are not against being up around Central Park either. I have even entertained the thought of a bed & breakfast.

This is my husband's first time to NY so we would like to be in a highrise with a view if possible.

We cannot pay more than $300 per night. (mid 200 a much more comfortable range.)

I would really like some input from this frame of reference. I thought the Marriott was wonderful except for the elevator issue but we can live with that.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Karen

Doubletree Guest Suites is directly across the street from the Marquis. It is not as glitzy or as busy with crowds of people, but we liked the arrangement of bedroom/living room . The concierge desk was quite helpful and gave us some good leads for getting around the city. The only thing we didn't like was the coffee shop which was in a windowless dark room. Our room view was of Times Square and the Marquis.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 07:35 AM
xxxx

What about the Hilton Times Square? It is brand new - just opened on 42nd Street between 7th and 8th Avenues.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 08:14 AM
tweedy

Robyn, are you stuck on the Time Square area, or would you be interested in other parts of the city?

How about midtown and walking distance to the Theatre District. My favorite hotel in town is the Palace which is on Madison ave (just behind St. Patricks) at 50th St. Staying there you are right in the heart of the city. A friend of mine works there, so if you have a problem with reservations, I may be able to get you a better price. I put all of my clients and friends there and they have all raved about the place.

There were some major rennovations done a couple of years ago and one of the best restaurants in the coutry Circqe 2000 is in one of the wings of the hotel.

From some of the upper floors, you have a wonderful view of the city.

Hope this helps some. Let me know if you need any more help.

tweedy

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Caitlin

My boyfriend's folks just stayed at the new Hilton Times Square, and we visited their room, with which they were very pleased. The street entrance is just a small doorway on 42d St., and you take an elevator to the 23d floor lobby. The lobby's not real large or luxurious, but s fine. The rooms are on floors 24-44 and all face north or south. They were on the 38th floor, and the room was quite spacious by NYC standards, with a huge bed, good-size table with chairs, and armchair, and still a good amount of walking-around space. The window was huge, with a good view that included the Hudson as well as Times Square and beyond. it was quiwt, as well. You could probably request a north- or south-side room. They usually stay at the Hilton near Rockefeller Ctr, but really preferred the view at the Times Square location. They were there the week after it opened, and everything was running totally smoothly.