hotel between Grand Canyon and Vegas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone recommend a good hotel/motel to spend the night to break up the drive between the south rim of the GC and Las Vegas, preferably with something to do/see of interest? I'd rather not rush back from the GC to Vegas in one day, especially since we'd like to stop at the Hoover Dam that day also. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Why not just stay at the south rim for the night?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying at the South Rim. However, we have to get back to Las Vegas to fly home and would prefer not to have such a long drive back from the GC in one day. We'd like to spend some time at Hoover Dam, and feel like by leaving Grand Canyon, seeing dam, and getting to Airport would make for a very rushed day.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM

You can try Laughlin, NV.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Holiday Inn Express in Kingman, AZ is a great spotless hotel with helpful desk people
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM

The south rim to Las Vegas is about a 5 hour drive. Kingman is halfway, about 2.5 hours from the south rim. Laughlin is a bit further, about 3.5 hours from the south rim.

However, Hoover Dam is beyond both of them, and only an hour or so from Las Vegas. If you have plans to do some hiking or something at the south rim in the morning, and can find something to do along the way, then either of those locations makes sense. Otherwise it seems like kind of a waste of a night as I don't see a reason to leave the south rim and drive 2.5-3.5 hours and then stop for the night.

Without knowing more of your plans, I'd say consider stopping at Hoover Dam on your way to Grand Canyon and staying overnight in Laughlin or Kingman. If that's not feasible, I'd either find something to do at the south rim until early afternoon, or head down to Sedona and at least drive through Oak Creek Canyon, then make your way to either city for your overnight stop.