Reload this Page >

Hotel at LAX? Rental car company?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:36 PM
klasvan

My daughter and I are going to LA Tuesday the 13th (from NC) to visit several universities. We will be arriving around 8pm. I have been advised to stay in a hotel at the airport and then take a shuttle the next morning to pick up the rental car, before heading to Northridge. Does this sound right?(If so,how late should I wait to drive to avoid rush hour on our way to Northridge)? I have also been advised to rent a larger car, like an SUV, b/c there are so many on the road and it will increase my visibility, pickup, and safety in the event of an accident. How much of a concern is this? We are both fairly well traveled, but honestly, my husband is usually there to do the driving in bigger cities (Manhattan, Atlanta, Rome, Paris), so I'm a bit nervous about the freeways. And, sorry about the rambling, but one more thing, a friend who lived in the LA area for many years says a navigation system is a must. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I may even put you in my will if it's really good!

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just drive to Northridge...it is only 25 miles or so and traffic will be minimal at that hour.

If you think you'll be really tired upon arriving then I guess I can see staying near LAX.

What do you drive at home? If you don't drive an SUV at home I would not recommend getting one in Los Angeles.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM

You could easily get your rental car that evening you arrive and head straight up the 405 Fwy to Northridge. Traffic should be fairly good! However, coming from NC, that might represent a 3-hour time difference and would be closer to 11 P.M. by the time you arrive. Add another hour to claim your baggage and pick up your rental car and it would be more like midnight.

If you do decide to spend the night near the airport, a 10 A.M. departure for Northridge and the Valley should be O.K.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
klasvan

I think you guys are right. I didn't realize that Northridge would be as close as it is. And, yeah, we will be tired, but it's probably better to wake up where we need to be and get the university tour started earlier. Do you think a four cylinder car would have enough pick up for the freeways or should I go with a six?

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM

You'll be fine in either...just get what you are comfortable in.

There are thousands of 4 cylinder cars cruising around the CA highways (mine included).
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM

If you're really tired you could take a taxi to Northridge and rent a car the following day. (Many car rental companies here deliver to hotels.)

GPS is a good idea, though not essential if you have mapquest directions printed out.

I live on the Westside of LA and in my neighborhood every other car is a Prius (4 cylinder hybrid).
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I second just getting your car and driving to Northridge when you land. It sounds as if you are nervous about driving the freeways--and, anyway, L.A. traffic is notoriously bad and unpredictable in the mornings--so best to go at night when the traffic will be light. As stated above it's pretty much just a straight shot up the 405 to the CSUN area and there won't be too many cars on the road at that hour.

There is no need to rent a larger car. Rent whatever you are comfortable with. L.A. drivers are defensive drivers, not offensive drivers--and contrary to myth, we are pretty good drivers, overall--so you don't really have to worry all that much.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Oh, another thing--I don't think you need a navigation system. Los Angeles is a VERY well-marked city. (I say this as someone who has been completely baffled by how awful other cities' freeways/exits are marked--Memphis and Nashville in particular, ahem/cough--Just print out directions on your computer and you will be fine.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM

I agree that you should go to Northridge when you arrive, and that almost any 4 cylinder car available should be just fine (maybe not a minicompact but certainly something like a Corolla or Ford Focus).

I think you might want the GPS if you're not good at reading maps. LA Freeway signs are marked with the name of the city you are headed toward, not the compass direction. So if you don't know where Pasadena, Santa Ana, Sylmar, etc. etc are, you might feel confused. I do think we are good drivers, just try not to drive slowly or at least do it in the right hand lane.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:00 PM
klasvan

Crosscheck: I had wondered if hotel delivery of a car was an option, good to know it is. And good to know that 4 cylinders are used by so many locals. (I am wondering if I can even rent a Hybrid)?
Gellers: I had heard that before about LA drivers being more defensive than otherwise. I'll tell you my thinking on the navigation system. Not so much that I'll need it for our university scouting trip next week, but that my daughter will really need it as a college student in the area. I love her to death, but honest to God, she is a terrible driver with probably 7 or 8 minor accidents under her belt at the ripe old age of 18 and a practically absent sense of direction. She has lots or trouble even where we live (Greensboro, NC). I've actually wondered if we should make her learn to use the "terrible" bus system in the LA area just to keep her and the rest of mankind/womankind safer. Any advice folks? Am I crazy? (Okay, don't answer that last one).

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Saps gave you great advice. I would get the GPS just because you might be in a wrong lane and miss an exit.

As for your daughter, usually college students don't have their cars for their first year of college. They'll address this during orientation.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM

" LA Freeway signs are marked with the name of the city you are headed toward, not the compass direction."

Eh??? They have the city more PROMINENTLY featured, but you'll always see the north/south/east/west designation.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM

If you're getting your daughter a car to use in L.A., then sure, get her the nav system. I didn't have a car my first year of college, but Northridge is a commuter school out in the Valley and it would be very nice for her to have a car if you can trust her with one!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM

What other colleges is your daughter considering besides Northridge?

She might be able to get by without a car in certain areas, but I agree with Geller that she will want a car in Northridge if that's where she ends up.

And if she's directionally challenged, she'll definitely want a GPS.

I learned the freeway system easily when I moved here (in my twenties), but I rely on the GPS when I take my son to soccer games on college campuses in out-of-the-way places.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM

UCLA and USC offer enough within walking distance to keep the kids busy without a car. CSUN, Pepperdine, LMU...probably a good idea to have a car.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM
klasvan

Crosscheck, the other colleges she is considering are Long Beach and Riverside. Do you think she would need a car for either of these?
And does anyone have a suggestion for a B&B or hotel near any of these campuses?
You guys, I really appreciate your advice on this stuff!! I would insert some sort of smiley here, but I haven't figured out yet how to do that!

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM

So let me get this straight. The person who made that recommendation to you thought it was better NOT to arrive in the evening, get the car and drive to Northridge when there is not that much traffic (after 9PM), but that it would be better to sleep the night near the airport and wait until the next morning to get the car so you could be guaranteed of being in bumper to bumper commuter traffic all the way to Northridge?

I don't get it.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM
klasvan

Yeah Neo, it didn't sound right to me either. It's becoming clearer that, although well-intentioned, this person wasn't thinking through it entirely (or was Pinot Grigio afflicted)!!

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Perhaps the Airport Marriott near Long Beach, or the Holiday Inn near the airport in Long Beach. I wouldn't stay in downtown Long Beach, it's really in the wrong direction. There's also an Ayres in Seal Beach which isn't far.

I know people who take the bus and people who commute to CSULB, but it's probably nicer to have the car unless she's going to live in the dorm.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I do not know students at those schools, but I do think your daughter would want a car in both Riverside and Long Beach. I have a friend who is a professor at Riverside who says many students come into to LA often (about 1 hour, not counting traffic).

In Riverside there is a famous historic landmark hotel - The Mission Inn.

Long Beach is much closer to the westside of LA. I would think students would want to come here on weekends, but I'm not sure what the scene is for freshmen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -