Reload this Page >

Hot Air Ballooning in Wine Country

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 10:32 AM
mj

Can anyone recommend a reputable company to go hot air ballooning with in the wine country. We are staying at the Applewood Inn so I suppose Sonoma would be most convenient. Thanks!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:03 AM
X

Be very, very careful. My wife and I had a terrible experience with a hot air balloon company in Wine Country.

Here's our story. We were staying in San Francisco, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We had scheduled a winery tour for mid-morning. Because the balloon rides usually are scheduled for very early morning, and because we are early risers, we decided to book a balloon trip to fill the time before the winery tour.

We made all of this clear to the balloon company when we booked.

The morning of the balloon ride and winery tour, the balloon company called us and said the balloon ride would have to be "postponed" till later in the morning because of heavy fog. We said in that case we would have to pass because we had a winery tour scheduled for later in the morning.

The balloon guy became very insistent, and eventually belligerent, that we take the tour. He wouldn't let us off the phone and eventually went so far as to say that he would take off at the time scheduled -- despite the fog -- if we would not cancel.

By that point, we were fearful about the company's tactics, safety and judgment.

Of course, we didn't go. But the balloon company charged our credit card for the full price. It took us months to get the charge removed.

I can't recall the name of the balloon company, but I will try to find it and post it here when I do.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:15 AM
kam

My husband and son went with Balloons Above the Valley in Napa. Try www.sonomavalley.com for info about Sonoma. If you're going to take a balloon, it is true that you are somewhat dependent on the weather and must be a bit flexible. Don't know what happened to the above poster but I've always heard good things about all the balloon companies. You might ask at your hotel/B&B as well.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:23 AM
frank

When we went, we were told there was a 48 hour cancellation policy just as there is at most hotels. If the company had to cancel, there would be no charge. Because of weather, I don't think you can book only "between the hours of x and y." I think winery tours could be rearranged more easily than balloons.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:28 AM
awake

It's a shame fodors.com doesn't have a balloon, because there's enough hot air being generated on this site to send it around the world several times without a problem.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:13 PM
bellhop

Yikes! MOST hotels have a 48-hour cancellation requirement? Where have you gone, Conrad Hilton?

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:55 PM
jo

My husband and I went on one 9 years ago on our honeymoon.

It was the best trip. I do not like heights and was a little hesitant but I am glad I did.

I will try and find the name and post it.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:59 AM
mj

Thanks for all the responses. Would appreciate any names of Balloon companies. We plan to make this the highlight of our day so hopefully we will not need to cancel.