Search

Honolulu in Sept.?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honolulu in Sept.?

I am thinking of going to Hawaii in Sept. for one week. Have never been and don't know too much about Hawaii. Is Honolulu my best bet? Airfare from Phila. is not too pricey. Want good beach, some sightseeing, some night life. Any thoughts on where to stay on the beach? Any contributions would be appreaciated.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Aloha, You will enjoy your week in Hawaii. Tell us a little more... are you renting a car? Are you traveling with a group or just a couple? What age group? If you are travelling solo and not renting a car, I suggest you stay in Waikiki as you will have it all, night life, beach ect. But, if you have a car I suggest getting out of Waikiki to see more of the Island as Wakiki is really geared up for the tourist. If it just a relaxing beach (more for it's beauty rather than waves) go to Windward side (Kailua Beach). If you are looking to see big surf get out to the North Shore. Which hotel you stay in wil depend on your budget. If you can afford it try the Moana Hotel, or The Royal Hawaiian. The Hilton Hawaiian has everything. If your on a budget look into some of the Outrigger Chains. Good luck and if you can provide more details I'm sure you will get alot more input from others.
Aloha
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Or going solo?

Oahu is a great island for a first trip, plenty to see and do. You can stay on or near the beach right in Waikiki, there's loads of hotels. Or if you want something more quiet, head out somewhere else around the island.

Each island is very different one from the other. And any of the islands offer everything on your list of activities. You might get a couple guidebooks from the library to get a better idea for yourself?
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Lots of Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com free brochure

www.bigisland.org free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM

The Aloha Festival is in Sept and there are alot of things going than and Waikiki would be a good place to see it. Beachfront is around twice the price of across the street from the beach if that helps.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. We are in our mid forties. Celebrating our 25th anniversary. We usually like to rent a car for a day to explore on our own. Is one day enough or should we plan on renting one for more? The Hilton looks good to me. Any site to book cheaper? Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Aloha,
The Hilton is wonderful (lots to do and you dont even need to leave the hotel grounds if you did not want to), you may even want to book a couples massage (special treat for the anniversary) at the Mandera Spa (at the Hilton). They have a nice show on the grounds every Friday night with a fireworks display and a little Cultural Dance Groups. You really should rent a car for a day or two and go see the other side of the Island, take a drive out to the country so to speak! Really get to see something other than what is for show to the tourist.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM

Sept and October are my favorite times to go to Hawaii. Not too hot, not too crowded, and not too pricey. Who could ask for more.

We have stayed at Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott in Waikiki and a house rental in Waimanalo in Oahu, Kauai Marriott in Kauai, and Wailua Renisnace and Maui Marriott in Maui. All great places with + and -.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Hi.. I just read your post.. I am planning on taking a trip in Sept and also staying at the Hilton Hawiian resort.
Please let me know how you are making out with your reservations . Have you found any good deals on rooms there?
Have you booked yet? I really want to stay there even though the rooms are pricey and I'm going with 6 adults so I'm going to probably need two rooms so I am looking for any help I can get in finding reduced hotel rates for that resort.. Thanks! Lisa
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM

mariefl - Yes - Sept is a really good time to go to Hawaii and Honolulu/Oahu is the best island (IMO) for a first-timer to Hawaii because there is so much to see and do. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is a good place - lots of ammenities, but pretty pricey too. There is a great coffee shop (Wailana's) across the street for some more reasonably priced food (open 24 hours.

From the HHV you can walk all over the place - no need to rent a car for the whole trip, but would recommend renting one for a day or two to get out of Waikiki and see the rest of the island. The last time I was there I went on Priceline and did the "name your own price" and got a Mustang convertible at Hertz (airport) for $40 per day! Parking is expensive and hard to find in Waikiki so renting a car for a day or two is less hassle.

You can easily walk to the Ala Moana Center from the HHV, or down the other side into Waikiki and there are many options for dining, shopping and nightlife. One "not to miss" on my list is right there at the HHV on the weekends - Olomana plays in the Paradise Lounge and they are excellent.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM

September is generally when the Aloha Festivals is on. www.alohafestivals.com When will you be in Honolulu? The annual floral parade is September 15.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM

We have stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian for a 10 day stint a few years ago. We were graded up to the Rainbow tower (large painted rainbow on the side) facing Diamond Head. Every Friday night they shoot off fireworks, so it was a great watch from our balcony. There was a Hertz outlet a block away and we rented a Mustang Convert for 3 days. Drove to some must-sees - Hanauma Bay for snorkling, The North Shore, Dole Plantation, Pearl Harbor.
Try checking pleasantholidays.com and airtohawaii.com for a couple website other than the usual ones. Good Luck. PS - Join the Hilton Honors via Hilton's website. It's free and can help with upgrades.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I have not booked anything yet because we may decide to spend around 3 days in Honolulu and 5 in Kauai. Friends told me Honolulu is similar to New York City with a beach. I do want to go and see Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, etc. I was told Kauai is beautiful. Any suggestions on hotels, nice beach, some nightlife, etc? Looked online and the Sheraton looks nice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Marie, your friends are killing me. Anyone who thinks Oahu is "New York City with a beach" has either never been here, or is extremely sheltered/naive. Check this out, please:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34515901
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Sorry--before anyone jumps on me--I mis-read your post. Honolulu is a big metropolitan city, but it's NOT New York City. And it's attached to the rest of the island of Oahu.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Hi Melissa. Even my DH who isn't that much of a Honolulu fan, says it isn't NYC with a beach. I even think Miami appears more the candidate for the title than Honolulu, LOL.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM

LOL, the day Honolulu becomes like New York City, is the day I move to Hilo!
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:38 AM

mark
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM

LOL, Melissa. I was just talking to someone about Hilo. DH and I liked it: the farmers market, zoo, gardens and nearby waterfalls.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
New York City with a beach is an absolutely ridiculous statement about Honolulu/Waikiki. Have these people actually been there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -