Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honolulu hotel advice needed--please sort out the contrasting views!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 04:30 PM
Will

Alright. I am going on my honeymoon in late April. Starting off on Oahu for 2 days and then going to Maui and Kaui for the remaining 10. In WAIKIKI where would you stay? I've heard so many things, my head is spinning. Please help.
Here are my options:
1)Halekulani--smack in the middle, can walk everywhere, great hotel, great service/restauants/pool. Heard the beach isn't the greatest. Heard it can be way to formal. No way to get any kind of a break on a rate.
2)Kahala-Mandarin--outside Waikiki, beautiful neighborhood, better beach, dolphins, no crowds,etc. Drawbacks as I understand, rooms can be drab, need to drive or cab it to nightlife, pool's not the best, BUT--can get a better deal than Halekulani with winter choice package
3)I am a starwood preferred guest--any starwood hotels that can compare to these 2? (I'm leaning towards ignoring the starwood discount and going for the sure thing--after all is my honeymoon).
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
If you actually reply to this and aren't totally confused, thanks alot.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 05:21 PM
Cheryl Z.

Will, congratulations, and you've picked the most beautiful islands on which to have your honeymoon.
Re the Halekulani - I think it is over-rated in that there are other hotels to choose from that are more reasonably priced for the same view/location. The pool IS pretty, but very small, pool lounges very close together, and virtually no beach area. It's wedged in between the Sheraton Waikiki and the Outrigger Reef (where we often stay). The outdoor dining area is lovely, and I'm sure the service and amenities must be great considering the reputation and prices. But this is just my opinion. Re the Mandarin - we haven't stayed there, just toured the property and had lunch. The drive out there is scenic, and yes, you'll need a car, or a taxi for everything else. I don't remember the pool area specifically but I do remember lots of people. Lots of celebrities stay there since it is away from the hustle bustle of Waikiki (The Rolling Stones stayed there a few years ago when they did a concert there). As you mentioned, it is rather drab and I didn't really see the appeal other than the more remote location and scenery.
Now, since according to your msg you'd only be on Oahu one night (two days), then I would suggest, if price is no object, the Halekulani, if these are the hotels you've narrowed it down too.
Have a great trip and a wonderful honeymoon.
Your choices are the subject of a great deal of input on this forum so you have come to the right place.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 05:30 PM
Brad

My advice would be to stay at the Halekulani, but I'd also want to know where you're staying the rest of the time (Maui, Kauai).
If you'll be staying at quiet, reserved places on Kauai (what else is there...even the Hyatt is quieter than at most other places) right after leaving Oahu, then there's even less reason to consider the Mandarin.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 05:46 PM
will

Staying at the grand wailea on Maui and Hyatt on Kaui (good guess). Should have said 2 nights on Honolulu...
Anybody know if Halekulani ever has specials on rates like normal hotels?
Thanks again to the above for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:12 PM
Paul

Will,
I could be mistaken, but I think that the Royal Hawaiian is part of the Starwood collection of hotels. In case you aren't familiar, it is the "pink palace" right next to the Sheraton Waikiki located at a pretty nice part of the beach. It's a really nice hotel, great restaurant and bar "Mai Tai". The pool is very small but the beach access is great and it's location on the strip is good. If your Starwood membership can get you some savings it might be a nice choice. We stayed there summer of 2000 and are planning on going back next summer. Enjoy.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 11:09 PM
rbp

Would recommend the Royal Hawaiian (the Pink one) - I think its lovely for a honeymoon!

Congratulations! And good luck.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 07:09 AM
will

OK, if I stay at the Royal Hawaiian should I stay in the tower or in the historic wing (heard good and bad about both). Do you really think its as nice as Halekulani or the Mandarin? Thanks again!

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 10:02 AM
Brad

No, the RH is not as nice as the MO and H.
Since you're staying at the GW on Maui, then a few days of quiet at the Hyatt on Kauai are a good move IMO.
I'd still choose the H on Waikiki. The MO underwhelms a bit for a really special occasion. Its main unique attribute is location and quieter atmosphere, but I think you'll get that on Kauai. The GW is very active (relative to most places in Hawaii).
I think you've got a great itinerary planned, Will. Good work.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 10:32 AM
Dawn

Hi Will,
I've done all of the research you have and I have to stay 'it depends'. The Halekulani is the best spot but pricey. The beaches are all public on Oahu on Waikiki and the Halekulani has a very small section (I don't know if it is sectioned off for the hotel). The Royal Hawaiian in my opinion is the best value for the money. This is where we stayed twice. They do have a beach and it is sectioned off for the guests with chairs.

I have stayed in the tower and the old historical part. Personally I liked the towers better as they have private balconies with great views (and the birds come right to your balcony and sweetly chirp away - just ask for a high floor with an end unit). We stayed in one of the suites and found that it wasn't worth the money. The other thing to keep in mind is that the fridge in the room is EMPTY which shocked me as I was expecting an honor bar. I said this was a great deal because we stayed here 2 Decs ago (as a Starwood member) with 50% off rates that UA gives you for mile redemption. So our rate was $250/night. I wouldn't pay $500/night for Oahu lodging. Not worth the money.

As far the the Oriental, I love this chain but I did not stay in Kahala. It's a cab ride away from Waikiki. BUT it is an Oriental and I would think it rivals the Halekulai.

I don't blame you if you are confused. It's a tough decision. I don't know how many days you are in Waikiki but I found 2 nights there to be enough. The good thing about being at the Royal Hawaiian is that you can walk to everything which I liked. The Oriental is a 10 min taxi ride - if I wanted seclusion, I would go to the other islands for that - not Oahu.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps you decide.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 01:53 PM
Celeste

OK, just to confuse you a little more... Waikiki Beach has two distinct sides, as at high tide the water completely covers the beach in front of the Sheraton and Halekulani. From Halekulani towards Diamond Head (which includes the Royal Hawaiian area), the beach is pretty small and has walls and jetties between you and the open water. As a result, this water has little movement and smells like suntan lotion in the heat of the day!

Toward Honolulu, the beach gets much larger, with its best section between the Army's Hale Koa Hotel (military ID card holders only) and the Hilton, which has many towers and is a lovely resort.

If nice beach matters to you, go for Hilton Hawaiian Village. You're in walking distance of Ala Moana Mall (if that matters) and on a wonderful section of beach. Take a walk at dusk heading toward Diamond Head and I guarantee you there's just nothing like it.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Jack

for the BEST view IMO the Hilton Rainbow tower Diamond head side 20th floor or above, as a added bonus, the beach is far less crowded than further up..

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Will

Thanks to everybody for the help--
(glad I didn't ask for opinions on Kaui and Maui too!)

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 12:30 PM
allen

Will, don't worry too much about your choices. Both the Halekulani and Mandarin Oriental are great properties for the very reasons you stated. They each have some drawbacks but overall you will be pleased whichever way you decide. Enjoy yourselves.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 02:03 PM
barbara

Mandarin has very nice rooms- I certainly wouldn't call them drab. Take a look at their website. I've stayed there twice (overlooking the lagoon- not in the highrise tower) and very much enjoyed it!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:05 PM
cheri

Drab!!!There was nothing drab when I stayed. It has totally changed my ideas on hotels all together.Huge marble bathroom with separate marble shower area and seperate tub area. Top notch. The beds were to die for(canopy). Everything has to live up to the MO. We walked out onto the beach after breakfast and had the whole beach to ourselves for at least an hour. No crowds. It was a pain trying to catch the last van back at 8:45 p.m. but we took a cab when needed. Next time at the Kahala we will have a rental car. I'm sure you can get a good deal.If you decide to stay, smile and mention your honeymoon very generous with upgrades. I know you will enjoy your stay where ever you choose. Also there are lots of reviews on the famous Kahala Mandarin. I hope I can make it back next year.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Judy

My vote is definitely with the Kahala Mandarin. I think it's the best hotel in Honolulu, and it's location is actually a huge advantage to staying in Waikiki. Waikiki is so crowded and commercial. Mandarin Oriental is quiet and has a great uncrowded beach and wonderful rooms. I always stay at the Mandarin Oriental.

As for the Grand Wailea, my advice is to avoid it! The grounds and pools are great, but the rooms are a real disappointment and service is terrible. Not worth the money, in my opinion. I would recommend the Four Seasons instead. Or if your priority is a great room but not necessarily over the top service, then I'd suggest the Kealani.