Reload this Page >

Honolulu Evening Dinner Cruise Recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Paul

My wife and I will be in Honolulu in early March and would like Evening Dinner Cruise recommendations. How much do they cost? What's included? etc.

We heard that being on an open deck was best, but aren't sure if it will be too cool or windy. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Paul

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 06:15 PM
Paul

Don't tell me no one can make a recommendation on this!

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:22 PM
k

Paul, I'll try to help. You might also want to do a word search in this forum, as this question has come up before.

A number of boats sail daily from Kewalo Basin, ewa side of Ala Moana Beach. The more established cruises are reviewed in Fodor's Hawaii 97 under cocktail and dinner cruises. There are several cruises that use large catamarans, one is on a fireboat, and another on a restored Hudson River excursion boat done up like a clipper ship. Accordingly, the boats vary in in price and in the type of experience they provide.
Of the dinner cruises, the Navatek (in a sleek hydrofoil) is the most upscale, with a Hawaii regional cuisine menu that is quite good and entertainment by Nohelani Cypriano. It is also somewhat expensive, although you can get 2 for 1 coupons in Entertainment books. The catamarans offer outside decks, tend to be more racous, and their food is a secondary consideration. For a true sailing experience, Tradewind Charters offers a three hour sunset sailing cruise for no more than six people, champagne and hors d'oeuvres extra. Other than Tradewind Charters, these are all large capacity boats, so you can consider your options after you arrive and have had a chance to check out each company's brochures. Bring a light jacket or wrap, evenings in March can be pleasantly cool (69-75degres).

Aloha.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 07:43 PM
Brandi

Well I hope you both have a great time on ohau. I lived there for 3 yrs thanks to the military. While I cant recommend a dinner cruise since we never went on one. the reason being, Umm not sure this will gross you out, but we had some friends come for their honeymoon and on their dinner cruise they saw a waiter sneeze on someones dinner and still serve it. I would highly recommend the whale sighting tour, I believe thats the perfect time. Also, the best and only luau you both should attend is at the hawaiian cultural center. Its a bit of a drive so I would go with a group. For a nice romantic dinner right on waikiki (away from the tourists) is at the hau tree lanai. I appologize for the bad rep of the dinner cruise, but in hawaii cleanliness is most important. Well have a wonderful trip!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 09:49 PM
susanna

Sorry Paul this is a warning and not a recommendation!!! My boyfriend and I went on the Navatek dinner cruise recently on our vacation. After looking into dinner cruises the Navatek seemed like the best choice, but boy were we disappointed! We paid $75(using an entertainment coupon) and got 3 drinks, salad, appetizer, and filet mignon with mashed potatoes. The filet and potatoes were both dry and tasteless and looked liked they had been cooked 3 days ago! The room where we ate looked like a cafeteria and the entertainment was very hokey!! Unfortunately, it was not money well spent, but to focus on the positive the view was great! Maybe if we had spent more it would have been better?

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 10:47 PM
k

Again, do a word search for some other (more positive) opinions.