Honolulu airport hotel-HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently posted our 10-day Hawaii itinerary which includes the BI & Kauai. However, I neglected to mention that we will by staying in Honolulu for one night.

Our flight arrives in HNL around 8:30pm on a Thursday, and we are flying to BI at 5:30am the following morning. Any hotel recommendations near the airport? Prefer one that offers shuttle service, and the cheaper the better (but clean!!) since we will only be there for approx. 6 or 7 hours. Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

To answer my own question, I just found the following thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1

I found a rate of $109 for the Pacific Marina. Is that a good deal? The others seem to be around $129. I hate to spend anything just to sleep for a few hours, but I assume staying at the airport is out of the question?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM

We stayed at this hotel as we also had very early morning flight next day. The hotel was OK, clean not luxurious. Staff were very nice. We took the rental car back at about 4.30am and the shuttle from there to the terminal. We couldn't find anywhere to eat around the area so ate in the hotel. We could have stayed at a better hotel but did not seem worth it for a few hours stay.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think anyone would throw you out of the airport, but you mean to have no sleep that night? Just sit up waiting for the morning flight?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

I think we will def. want some sleep after our long flight from the East Coast, and I know I will want a shower! Husband thought we could have late dinner in Waikiki and then sleep for a bit at the airport. Guess that is why I do the trip planning
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM

FYI -- I'm pretty sure the hotels near HNL Airport are still offering free shuttle service. No need to rent a car if you're just staying overnight.

And if you're staying at one of those hotels after having spent time (and renting a car) on O`ahu, it's easy to return the car early, then take the car rental shuttle to the airport, then take the catch the shuttle to the hotel. Saves you any of that day-of-departure panic! 8-)
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM

I agree with your thinking sessa. A late dinner, a shower and a few hours sleep in a hotel bed would be the way to go after flying in from the east coast.

Besides the airport hotels, you might look at the Pagoda Hotel which is in central Honolulu, near the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Popular with locals, it is a moderately priced property and might work for a few hours stay.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to go to Waikiki for dinner, you could get a hotel there instead. There are so many more to choose from.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM

I agree -- staying in Waikiki might be best. It's only 15 minutes or so from the airport, and with such an early flight, you won't have to worry about rush hour traffic in the a.m.

Then again, coming from the East Coast, arriving at 8:30pm will feel like 2:30 in the morning! You may be too pooped to party

The airport is very empty and quiet at night. You would have room to spread out. However, I don't think those sleeping arrangemenets -- combined with jet lag -- would make for a fun first day on BI!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Pretty decent for an overnight and real close to the airport

http://www.ohanahotels.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=91

Aloha!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM

If you have an early morning flight, as we did, getting a hotel shuttle at 4am can be a problem as they may only run on the hour, as in the case of the Pacific Marina.

So we opted to keep the car and drop it off that morning which worked out better and avoided "the day-of-departure panic."
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Not sure if the OP will have a car, since that's the night of arrival. But the concirge at your hotel -- no matter which one you choose -- should be able to call you a cab or car service if there's no shuttle.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up on the shuttle service. We will not have a car since that is our first and only night in HNL.

We are going to try and fly standby on an earlier (and nonstop) flight that day, so hopefully we will have a chance to check out Waikiki! Otherwise our only memory in HNL will be a shower and bed!

Thanks again for your responses!