Reload this Page >

Honeymooning in Hawaii

Search

Honeymooning in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 03:27 PM
Robin

Honeymooning in Hawaii

My fiance and I are getting married in California so we thought Hawaii would be a easy plane trip and relaxing place to visit for a week on our honeymoon. Our question is this, we are looking to stay at the Four Seasons Maui (3 nights) and Four Season Kona (4 nights) - which should we do first? We will want to relax on the beach for the first few days and recoup from the excitement of the wedding festivities then the next few days we will want to do some site seeing etc so which is better for relaxing Kona or Maui? Thanks for the advice!

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 04:41 PM
Bart

If you must do 2 islands, go to Kona 1st. It is more slow paced and a great placew to relax. The day you go from Kona to Maui is going to be wasted. There is lots to see on the BI after you recover.
Bart

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 10:43 PM
Bill

You'll need to recoup? Relax? Can't you do that just about anywhere? Have you considered a remote B&B on the CA coast? Gorgeous scenery, without the stressful plane trip...(and extra expense). Interesting that you haven't mentioned just spending time doing absolutely nothing (or absolutely everything) with each other...

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 10:44 PM
Maura

They must be under 20!

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 09:50 AM
Barry

I agree with Bart's comments which implied that 2 islands may be too much for a short, 1 week honeymoon vacation to Hawaii. The better part of one day will be spent commuting to and from airports and checking in and out of hotels. Better to stay on one island and maybe, if you must have diversity, stay at 2 different hotels/locations on one island. I've stayed at the Four Seasons on the Big Island and it has several beautiful oceanfront pools for your "relaxing", although it doesn't have much of a beach at all. For a first visit to Hawaii, I'd recommend Maui over the Big Island.

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 02:29 PM
arlene

I just returned from both places (also honeymooning!) I don't think a week is too short. Definatly go to Big Island first. The 4 seasons there is amazing and you will not want to leave the place. The rooms are really quiet and airy and there are several pools, including one you can go snorkerling in - they have a lot of great amenities right on the property and you can relax, play golf (watch out for the random wild goats), go out to eat, go to the gym, etc. That's all we did! Make sure you go when they have the sunset seafood buffet. 4 seasons Maui is also beautiful (although I liked 4 seasons big Island better) and there definatly felt like more "activities" going on that island. We did a rain forest hike and a catamaran ride - a lot of other couples go to haleakela and bike down. There is a really pretty path you can walk along each day. They have activities booths so you can do just about anything. Have fun!

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 02:15 PM
edie

i agree with other posters that one week is too short for 2 islands, but i need to point out that kona village, which is right next door to the kona four seasons is am amazing place to relax. we were there for five days and i want to go back right now! all meals are included, so while it is not at all a cheap hotel, you can budget better b/c you know what you'll be spending in advance. the food is excellent, dinner is a five course meal with lots of choices, even for me who doesn't eat any seafood beyond shrimp and lobster. every day we woke up, put on our bathing suits, stepped out of our private hale (that's what they call rooms, they are individual little huts with all the amenities) right onto a sand pathway, walked along the path to breakfast, and spent the day at the beach or pool, with included kayaks, snorkeling, sails, gladd bottomed boat exursions. they have ancient hawaiin petroglyphs on the site, as well as what everyone says is the best luau on the big island. like i said, to relax, spend time together after the craziness of a wedding, this is the best place. also, they have no tv's, clocks, radios, and phones. so talk about isolation from the world!