Honeymooner needs Itinerary Critique

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 20 days, my soon to be wife and I will be heading to the islands of Kauai and Maui. I put together a seemingly thorough itinerary for our honeymoon and would very much appreciate any feedback anyone can offer! Thanks again for those of you who helped in drafting this itinerary. Can't wait to post my trip report!

November 21 to December 1 Kauai and Maui Itinerary

Nov. 21 (Poipu)
Morning:
Depart St. Louis 6:30am
Arrive Lihue, Kauai 5:06pm
Afternoon:
Sightseeing on way to Grand Hyatt Regency
Check in to Hotel
Dinner:
Tidepools Restaurant (Hyatt)

Nov. 22 (North Shore)
Morning:
Brunch
Afternoon:
Helicopter Tour (Jack Harter 11:00am) on Hughes 500, be there 10:15am
Eat at Duane’s Ono-Char Burger
Drive to North Shore (visit Kilauea Lighthouse)
Visit Secret, Anini, Tunnels, Hideaways, Kee beaches for sunset
Hanalei Lookout
Dinner:
TBD

Nov. 23 (Poipu)
Morning:
Brunch
Afternoon:
Massage 10:00am
Hang out around hotel or Allerton/McBride Gardens, Lydgate State Park, Poipu Beach
Dinner:
Beach House Restaurant (outside table)

Nov. 24 (Kokee State Park)
Morning:
Drive to Kokee State Park
Check out overlooks and Visitor Center
Afternoon:
Hike Nualolo and Awaanapuali Trails
Jo Jo’s Shaved Ice
Dinner:
Drums of Paradise Luau

Extra’s
Polihale State Park
Wailua Falls

Nov. 25 (Maui)
Morning:
Drive to Lihue Airport
Depart 10:30am
Arrive Maui 12:10pm
Afternoon:
Check in to Fairmont Kea Lani
Walk on ocean path/ Polo Beach
Walk to Maliakao beach
Dinner:
Mama’s Fish House 4:30pm

Nov. 26 (Snorkel)
Morning:
Drive to Paragon Tours Boat Dock 72 at 6:30
Arrive by 7:15am and depart on cruise 7:30am
Breakfast and lunch and all drinks included
Afternoon:
Snorkel Molokini, 85pp
Back at dock 12:30am
Back to hotel or hang around area/ Beach hop
Dinner:
Warren and Annabelle’s 5:00pm

Nov. 27 (Road to Hana)
Morning:
Road to Hana and various stops
Or
Beach hop around island
Afternoon:
Dinner:
Nick’s Fishmarket at 8:00pm

Nov. 28 (Kaanapali & Lahaina)
Morning:
Brunch
Hang out at Hotel
Afternoon:
Kaanapali/Lahaina-lunch at David Paul’s
Honolua Bay
Dinner:
Old Lahaina Luau

Nov. 29 (Haleakala)
Morning:
Brunch
Head to Haleakala, check out park and sites
Afternoon:
Hike Haleakala Grand Crater Loop Trail
Back to Poipu
Dinner:
TBD

Nov. 30 (Poipu)
Morning:
Brunch
Hotel
Afternoon:
Beach hop, etc.
Dinner: “Dinner on the Beach” by Tableside Chefs

Dec. 1 (Depart)
Morning:
Brunch
Afternoon:
Beach/Hotel
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM

Nov 30th - Poipu?

Don't think you meant that did you (Poipu is back on Kauai).

Other than that, a couple of observations:

1) Helicoptor tours are best done early in the day before things begin to heat up (the rising air becomes unstable, resulting in bumpier flying and increasing clouds). Your morning flight on Kauai is good.

2) Similar to point #1 - Haleakala is best visited as early as possible. As the day heats up, clouds often begin to build in a ring aroung the mountain at around the 3-5 thousand foot level, blocking views from the summit. Leave as early as is reasonably possible.

Ken
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:03 PM

You're going to really enjoy Warren & Annabelle's! Make sure you have the reservations before you leave...they sell out often!

I would suggest you do ANY snorkeling early, esp. Honolua. 1) It gets really busy later, with alot of (paid) snorkeling excursion providers. 2) Winds pick up and makes snorkeling more difficult the later it gets. In fact,I'm not sure about snorkeling it at all that time of year (2o to surf?)...we were there in July.

When we went to Mama's, we went early and watched the wind surfers at Ho'okipa Beach. They were beautiful and so fast!

Part of the beauty of Haleakala at Sunrise is the way all the scenes are constantly changing with the increasing sunlight, and cloud intermingling, causing a 'walk on the moon' like atmosphere for awhile, and colors constantly changing.

That said, arising so early and the cold winds, make me want to sample the sunset next time!
See my bleary-eyed picture at the Paia Fishmarket restaurant to see what it does to you at:
worldisround.com olesouthernbelle Maui 7/05.

Order the Maui Wowie salad at Nick's...the best salad ever!

Looks like you're going to have a wonderful time!

Belle

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM

Two luaus? - You might find that one is enough...

Try to include a visit to the Iao Valley while on Maui. Also, I like the drive up the west coast about as much as the Road to Hana if you're feeling a little less ambitious. The amazingly red dirt of the cliffs and the olivine pools are pretty neat. You could actually stop at the Iao Valley on the way back around. The Kahului Swap Meet is fun too if you're in that area on a Saturday. In fact, we made a day out of the west coast drive, the swap meet, and the Iao Valley.

Did you mention visiting the blowhole while on the southside of Kauai? It's a typical tourist spot but really pretty cool. We saw a large turtle swimming in the crashing surf. Funny to see all of those people - including us - standing there waiting for the perfect spout to photograph!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:29 PM

Oh, and that salad Belle mentioned is the best salad in the world! My husband ordered it as a prelude to his entree and it was better than anything else the three of us had - and it was all pretty good!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 08:31 AM
MMN

Sounds like a great plan.
Remember that day one you will most likely be shot. 5:06pm Hawaii time is 9:06 Missouri time. So your bodies will feel that you are arriving at the hotel around 10pm, after starting at probably 5am. My husband and I barely made it for a burger that night....
Hideaways beach was awesome for snorkeling - be sure to stop and rent snorkel gear in Hanalei before you get there.
Beach House - awesome. Be sure to get the earliest possible reservation & make them before you leave if not already done
Agree with previous poster than 2 luaus is too much. Food is not great & they are a little cheesy. If you must...one is more than enough.
Mama's Fish House - this was our favorite dinner of all islands on our 11-night trip.
We schedule Nick's fishmarket dinner after our Road to Hana trip also - ended up cancelling. Road to Hana was 7am - 7pm, which I think seems pretty standard. Were shot upon return and ordered take-out for our balcony as my hubby did not want to refresh for a "nice" dinner!
Kea Lani - LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT
Agree that Haleakala sunrise was well worth it if you can get up in time - We left the hotel around 4am or something insane - and wore layers of clothes (Turtlenecks, sweatshirt, jacket, gloves, scarf...) But once up on top and watching the sun come up through the clouds was an unforgettable experience which we have amazing photographs from as well.
On the way back down we could start removing the layers of clothes & we relaxed at the pool that day to treat ourselves for having gotten up so early! My husband did not want to do this at all and now that is one of the first things he talks about whenever we talk about our trip to Hawaii.
ENJOY!!!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 08:40 AM

My suggestion for the first night -- room service on your patio or balcony! You will be arriving at the hotel about 11 p.m. your time. You will be exhausted and unless you have superhuman strength will not be up for a long dinner at the Hyatt. Go to bed around 9 Hawaii time and it will be pretty easy to adjust to the time change.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Your itinerary is indeed full. It should be a fantastic honeymoon. I own a condo on Kauai and spend a month there every year. The Hyatt is the most gorgeous hotel on the island and you'll have a hard time pulling yourself away from such a luxurious place. The beach there can be a little dangerous. I've watched many first time bodysurfers get a slamming, so watch it. Here's some helicopter advice: the best service on the island is Air Kauai. They have the quietest helicopters and best safety record. Guidebook advice, because you'll need them: Fodor's for where to shop and eat and Kauai Trailblazer for hiking up in Waimea and the North Shore. Sharon and I go to the buffet at the Hyatt and sit there for two hours soaking up the ambiance. Also, don't eat before your helicopter ride.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 03:06 PM

First, have a fabulous wedding!!!

Next, would it be better switch Nicks and Mama's so that you are in that neck of the woods? I wouldn't want to land at the airport pick up a rental checkin and then head back the way I came on my first day.

Make sure you bring a backpack to trek down to Secret Beach and your bigger hikes.

You are visiting as the seasons change. NEVER turn your back on the ocean. Rogue waves, and many places that travel books describe are less hospitable during the fall/winter months. Use caution.

On Mauai, go to Makena beach!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 05:29 PM

A few thoughts:

I thought the Drums of Paradise luau at the Hyatt was terrible. I would not waste the money on this one. Cheesy entertainment and bad food. There is a much better hula show at the Poipu Shopping Center once or twice a week in the late afternopn and it is FREE. There are also afernoon hula shows at the Seaside Terrace at the Hyatt that are also free and wonderful. I was walking back to our room from the pool to get something I had forgotten and ended up sitting and watching a hula school perform for about an hour. Serendipity! Wonderful!

Bring bug spray for sunset on Ke'e. Auntiem was telling us that it is very protected and there can be little or no breeze. The breeze is what keeps the skeeters away. I'd rather watch the sunset at Hanalei or somewhere along the cliffs at Princeville.

We thought that dinner at Postcards in Hanalei was delicious. Stop there on your way back from the north shore beaches. Get a reservation though.

I would not even expect to snorkel or swim at any of the north shore beaches. Go for wave watching and scenery. As gyppie says the seasons are a changing and that means waves, rouge waves and dangerous surf up there. Snorkel at Poipu. Please be safe!

-Bill

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:39 PM

For luau: Recommend Feast at Lele in Lahaina. More intimate, romantic; candlelight dinner at private tables on the beach, better food, than either of the two luaus you've mentioned.
Website description is at
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/mauidin...st_at_lele.htm
Or....If you to one luau only, and it is more convenient to go to one on Kauai, IMHO try to do Smiths OR Princeville Hote'sl--NOT the one in the hotel nr Coconut Marketplace (can't recall the name) or the Hyatt.
The Hyatt is a GREAT choice for a hotel in Kauai. Ahhh....that lobby with the Pacific Ocean view !! Good buffet breakfasts there by the fishpond, as well as above mentioned music and hula on the terrace overlooking the ocean at sunset. They are not done every evening, so get performance schedule .
If you do the W. side Maui drive recommended by Crazy4Hawaii--stop at little village of Kahakuloa. Stop at the first stand you come to on the right side of the road (as you're heading in the direction AWAY from Kapalua). It is run by the wife and SIL of famous Maui singers the Ho'opi'i brothers. She sells their CDs, as well as one of my all time favs, HoloHolo Maui, a collection of songs by local Maui singers. It's fun and interesting to talk with her. That's indeed a great trip--that road, then Iao Valley, then exploring the old town of Wailuku (adjacent to Kahului's west side).
Congratulations, and have a fantastic honeymoon!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I just spoke to a credible guide on Maui that informed us to refrain from stopping and wandering far from our car on the Road to Hana. Supposedly, there has been a recent problem with frequent car break ins on the Road to Hana.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM

If you ahere to that, you're going to miss ALOT!

Just take a backpack for the things you can't afford to lose, and go for a hike!

Belle
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM

....ADHERE, not ahere, sorry AL just made a play!

Roll Tide!

Belle
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM

I doubt that there are many road breakdowns on the road to Hana, it's just a (in places narrow) road.
And, there aren't many ways to wander from the road, unless you go bushwacking into the jungle! (Don't plan every minute, just relax a little--you are already ahead of the game, having chosen Hawaii for a honeymoon...)
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 06:44 PM

sylvia3: I can't believe you said there aren't many oportunities to leave the road!

You have to walk to the first Black Sand beach, Blue Pool and several other waterfalls! You can't see the car from alot of those places!

Take a look at Maui Revealed and you can see there are a multitude of places to hike to 'see more'!

Belle
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM

I also need someone to look at my itinerary and let me know if it makes sense. I'm having problems figuring out if we should stay 2 nights in Hana and 2 nights in Lahaina OR 1 night in Hana and 3 nights in Lahaina.

Tuesday:
Arrive at Kahului airport 6:40 AM
drive to Hana
spend the day exploring Hana

Wednesday:
Drive from Hotel Hana to Haleakala to see the sunrise (what time should we leave the hotel?)
I'd like to visit the 7 Sacred Pools on this day as well. Is that close to Haleakala?

**This is where I need help. After Haleakala should we drive back to Hana and stay the night or should we drive to Lahaina? Is this backtracking if we go back to Hana? How far is the drive from Hana to Haleakala?**

Assuming we stay 2 nights in Hana, we would then leave Hana on Thursday morning and head to Lahaina until Saturday. On Saturday we ferry over to Lana`i for 3 nights at Manele Bay.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Is this really a honeymoon or a drill team?
The traditional honeymoon meant time to "be together" and "relax" and "get to know each other" and "relax from the wedding events"!
I'm tired reading it, you need to sign up for a 3 week intensive bus tour, not a Honeymoon in Hawaii.
Hang Loose, Bro, and play it casual!
You're going to Hawaii, not 3 weeks in 20 locations in Europe!
I've been traveling frequently to Hawaii for 40 years and haven't seen it "all" as it is a place to travel casually and see a little at a time and savor , but relax and enjoy when you do,not return home exhaused!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:25 AM

I agree. It's a HONEYMOON. Even if it weren't, it's a vacation. Relax! Just MHO

Read. Read guidebooks. Read this board. Print out ideas. Each of you make a list of your top 2 - 5 things to do. Refer to that list when you get there - and mutually decide what you'll do and what you'll toss aside because you are having such a good time hanging out together - enjoying your time together.

Dinner:
TBD

MOST should be TBD. Can't believe you are scheduling every meal and waking moment.

Okay, enough chiding. She's marrying you so she probably knows what she is getting into. I like to plan, but I'd be weirded out by this kind of schedule for a HONEYMOON!

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and I hope you both have a wonderful and relaxing honeymoon in Hawaii.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:54 AM

nonohina -

IMO you should not be trying to make sunrise on Haleakala from Hana. OMG, I don't know what time you'd have to leave in order to navigate those narrow roads in the dark to make it on time. Nor should you try to return to Hana once you've left. Do your trip to Haleakala from Lahaina if that's a priority for you.

Start another thread for your question or your answers will get all mixed up with RiverRanger's. It took me a few minutes of scrolling up and down to see that he had not wildly changed his itinerary and was asking for additional advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -