Reload this Page >

Honeymoon - Where to go?

Search

Honeymoon - Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 12:38 PM
Natalie Tomich

Honeymoon - Where to go?

Hi! We want to plan a romantic trip for our honeymoon, which is in September. We don't want to spend too much money. We live in Chicago and are looking for something secluded and relaxing. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 31st, 1998, 05:00 AM
Paul Rabe

The lodge at Starved Rock State Park would probably fit your needs perfectly.

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 02:57 PM
Judy

Kauai, Kauai, Kauai! My husband and I were married on a beach on the North shore (near Princeville) 3 years ago, and wouldn't have changed a thing! It's one of the most beautiful spots on earth, and we think there must be something in the atmosphere that forces you to relax as soon as you get there. We too were on a budget and decided to forgo the fabulous & pricey Princeville Hotel. Stay at a Condo, e.g. the Marc Pali Ke Kua, which is probably better than The Cliffs, where we stayed. You save on endless restaurant breakfasts and lunches, the suites can be nice, but truthfully, no one spends much time indoors on Kauai anyway! We also had an "Entertainment" Book (you can buy one for your area), which entitles you to 50% off many hotels and condos. I know the Pali Ke Kua and several other Princeville condos owned by the Marc Co. are in this year's book. The only # I have for them is (909)599-5828 in California. Check out "The Tunnels" Beach (also known as Bali Hai beach), the road to Hanalei and beyond (actually the only road), Waimea Canyon (the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific", and at the end of it, the Na Pali Coast which will take your breath away. Check out AAA discounts, too, and/or packages through a travel agent. Good luck!

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 05:44 PM
LML

Natalie: I am not sure how far you want to go, but if you are interested in a secluded cabin on a lake, with a hot tub, fireplace, etc. look up information for the Hocking Hills area in Ohio. You may have some similar possibilities nearer to you, but the HH in Ohio is absolutely gorgeous in the Fall. Beautiful rolling hills, woods with walking paths, etc. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 01:34 PM
Natalie Tomich

Thank you to everyone who responded, I will definately take you suggestions into consideration!

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 07:44 PM
J. Maroney

Rancho Encantada in Santa Fe NM
Water Street Inn, Santa Fe NM (request bkfst in your room)
Check out New Orleans (if it's not too hot in Sept)

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 05:45 AM
Brian

There is a great resort in northern Wisconsin called the Heidel House in Green Lake. It's about a 3 hour drive. Nice rooms in a seculded area, but still lots of activities available from hiking to tennis and golf.

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 12:28 PM
kris

Hello fellow Chicagoan! You didn't say what your budget is or when in September you were looking to go, but if someplace like Hawaii is out (although ATA is running round trip fares right now from Midway at $500) you might want to think about some of the driveable trips from Chicago including Brown County in Southern Indiana, Door County in Wisconsin or even the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee (about 10 hours by car). You can probably get secluded cottages in all three of those places.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 05:52 AM
kris

I thought of a couple more places if you want to stay local. Galena, IL is known for its charming B&B's and antiquing. Also Put in Bay on Lake Erie near Toledo, OH is supposed to have nice cabins to rent and is near Sandusky OH where there's a really nice amusement park called Cedar Point which I think is much nicer than Great America in Gurnee.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 05:59 AM
JR

I'm from central Illinois. My husband and I drove to Niagara Falls -- it's only 10 hours from here, so would probably be about 8 from Chicago. In any case, you could make it in one day of heavy driving. I-80 goes all the way to Buffalo NY. It was very romantic (stay on Canadian side). You *can* get less-expensive lodging if you stay a little further from Niagara and make good use of the internet for planning. Lots of good info. available for trip-planning. Niagara Falls was definitely worth every minute & penny!

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 07:13 AM
kay

Have you ever considered Mackinac Island in Michigan? It's very romantic, beautiful, small town feel to it -- you really feel like you're away from it all. And contrary to popular belief, very affordable. You have to take a ferry ride over the the island which costs around $20 bucks round trip per person. Then once you're there you have a variety of accomodations to choose from. We stayed at a beautiful B&B there (can't remember the name) and they weren't out to rip you off. There are lots of quaint shops and the island is known for its fudge so be sure not to miss that!!! Since you're from Chicago, this is probably only about 7-8 hour drive for you. Have fun, wherever you decide to go!!!

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 01:24 PM
frank P. Grande

There are romantic sailing cruises available on the coast of Maine aboard schooners, menus of lobster & filet mignon, the chance to view whales and dolphins up close and the serene sense of well being as you sail past historic, picture perfect lighthouses. Visit www.goddesscruise.com