Honeymoon road trip - Pacific Highway

Feb 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon road trip - Pacific Highway

Hello!

My future husband and I are planning a road trip for our honeymoon this July. We want to fly to San Diego and take the Pacific Highway up to San Francisco. We decided on 8 days/7 nights. We love nature, beaches, exploring. We are very low-key but love exploring! Any itinerary suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you!!
Daria
Feb 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM

In Southern CA, the coastal road is called Pacific Coast Highway or PCH. North of LA it is called Hwy 1. Major highlights of this drive are Santa Barbara, Cambria, Big Sur, Point Lobos State Reserve, the village called Carmel by the Sea, the 17 Mile Drive thru Pebble Beach, Pacific Grove, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay. Plan on a half day to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's great. The most beautiful part of the drive is from Cambria to Carmel. There is so much more to see in addition to these highlights so I would recommend traveling with a guide book. Also be sure to block out several hours on each day's drive for leaving your car to explore all the wonderful sights and scenery on foot.
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM

The scenery is fabulous and and driving up the coast is great fun . . . but don't expect warm/sunny weather. It can be quite cool/foggy in summer, especially north of about Morro Bay/Cambria.

Also, many places on the coast have a 2 night minimum. Especially on weekends. So plan accordingly. More 2-nighters and fewer one night stops will make it easier to find accommodations.

What is your budget?
Feb 20th, 2012, 04:49 AM

Janis makes a good point about the coastal weather. Always dress in layers for this trip as the temps can vary from t-shirt weather to fleece or heavy jacket weather even hourly depending on your distance from the ocean, micro climates, fog, and wind.
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:03 PM

My husband and I travel this part of the country often since we love it so much. One place we think is special is Rosehaven Cabins in Carmel/Big Sur. We discovered this place in Sept and have come back as part of our 25th anniversary celebration. Hopefully you'll get some sun to enjoy some of the most beautiful sceanery in the world.
Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM

You will definitely want to stop at Big Sur, Carmel and Monterey. They are all located along Highway One on your way to San Francisco. Monterey is about a 2 hour drive to San Francisco.

Big Sur is great for hiking and exploring, Carmel is perfect for shopping, wine tasting and fantastic food and Monterey is full of activities from kayaking, whale watching to bike riding.

http://www.seemonterey.com/big-sur-california
http://www.seemonterey.com/carmel-by-the-sea-california
http://www.seemonterey.com/monterey-california
Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM

Seven nights to get from San Diego to San Francisco is not my idea of relaxing travel, particularly since this trip is one where slowing down is the whole idea!

You love beaches, nature, exploring? May I suggest you limit the trip to some small area between San Diego and Santa Barbara, and just explore the nature and beaches there only? There's plenty of that all along that area, and trying to see less will DEFINITELY lessen the strain.

Of course, if doing the kind of travel I prefer -- "If it's Tuesday, this must be Big Sur" -- is also the way you two enjoy traveling together, then simply ignore what I just said.
Feb 23rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Hez

Seven nights from San Diego to San Francisco sounds like the perfect amount of time to me. The drive is only about 10 hours so only a bit over an hour a day, hardly an "If it's Tuesday" scenario.

I like Del Mar and Laguna Beach south of LA. I'm sure there will be lot's of suggestions for the north of LA segment.

Hez
Feb 24th, 2012, 03:09 AM

While my wife went to UC Santa Barbara - we love getting to Solvang - about 45 minutes "above" Santa Barbara and a fairly easy one day drive from here in SD. http://www.solvangusa.com/

Around Solvang are some great wineries (did you see the movie "Sideways"?) and they also have some nice tasting rooms on the main st in Solvang, as well as a beautiful Lavender field in nearby Los Olives.

From there - we usually go another couple hours up to Cambria - and then take the tour at Hearst Castle, an absolute must in my opinion. http://www.hearstcastle.org/

And don't miss the huge Elephant Seal beach a couple of miles north of the entrance to Hearst Castle.

From there - it's a fairly easy drive (although there may be a few stops due to road construction) to beautiful Big Sur - and perhaps a cup of coffee/snack at Nepenthene - before making it to Carmel/Monterrey.
Feb 24th, 2012, 03:10 AM

Here is the Nepenthe page: They have great coffee, super views and people are always having a lot of fun there.

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/
Feb 24th, 2012, 06:25 AM

If you do the route southbound you will have all right turns to the ocean viewpoints. Left turns across traffic waste time and can be dangerous.
Feb 26th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone! You are truly a big help!