Honeymoon near Seattle, WA: Ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! My fiancé and I are planning to fly in to Seattle in mid July next year and spend 10 days honeymooning in the area. We will probably rent a car and so we can drive out of Seattle and explore the WA area, but neither of us are familiar with the Pacific Northwest and we are looking for tips on beautiful places to stay. Since we're staying in the US for our honeymoon, we're hoping to splurge on a couple of luxury hotels/inns. We both love walking and hiking, though we are also looking forward to some relaxation. We're also both foodies! We're going to spend the final 2 days or so in Seattle, but before then we want to get out of the city and visit two areas while staying in nice hotels. (I also wouldn't mind a spa treatment ;-)

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.fodors.com/search/results...ific+Northwest
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM

We live in Seattle, and we love to stay in good hotels which have rooms with balconies and great views of mountains or water. Unfortunately there aren't many such places in Washington.

Three very honeymoon worthy hotels that come to mind are Sun Mountain Lodge, in the mountains near Winthrop, Washington; a Fireplace room at Lake Quinault Lodge on the Olympic Peninsula; and Stephanie Inn on the ocean in Cannon Beach, Oregon.

We usually settle for such places as Red Lion Inn, on the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Port Angeles, Vacations by the Sea condos in Westport, or the Best Western Hood River Inn in Oregon.

We don't enjoy B&Bs, but if you do there are said to be good ones in Langley, La Conner, and Friday Harbor--among others..
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 03:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Seattle is a nice enough city but I would not spend even 6 days there. See either Mount Rainier or Mt. St. Helens and then visit Portland Oregon. Go east from Portland to see the waterfalls flowing into the mighty Columbia River.
You could also go west from Portland to see the ocean anywhere south of Astoria. I prefer the Oregon coast to anything I've seen on the Washington coast.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 03:58 PM

I loved staying at Lake Crescent Lodge- there are some wonderful hikes within driving distance.

As a foodie, you might be disappointed with the dining room but I thought it was fine- but not fantastic. Loved kayaking on the lake too

https://www.nationalparkreservations...A#.VDHadEve7wI
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Salish Lodge (at Snoqualmie Falls) is a nice place to stay, good restaurants, great spa, and only 1 hour outside the city.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM

I would add Edgewater Hotel, where the Beatles stayed sometime in the 1960s. I don't think it is terribly luxurious, but the location is superb.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 11:08 AM

Sun Mountain Lodge is magic, but you have to make your reservations early on. They fill up pretty quickly in July.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 11:27 AM

Well darn, I wish I knew where you were from, because I'd then do a better job of putting myself in the mode of writing as if I weren't mere minutes from home (a prerequisite when talking of somebody's honeymoon).

But... surely Seattle proper would make for a suitable spot for the immediate requirements of your trip... then you could augment that quite nicely perhaps with a circle tour of the North Cascades Highway (highway #20 across northern Washington) toward above-mentioned Winthrop (a cute little, honeymoon-ish place... although don't return in 40 years expecting it to be much different????)... then, from there take your pick of the very unique town of Leavenworth, and later, depending upon how much time is available, perhaps farther south toward Ellensburg, Yakima (though I think nobody should have to remember Yakima on their honeymoon - hopefully IT WILL be much different in 40 years)... and then west again via Mount Rainier and then back to Seattle.

With ten days, and with "honeymoon" somewhat in mind... Fly to Seattle... stay downtown... for 2 (ahem, or will you need/want 3??) nights... (only) then rent a car from a downtown location... drive north toward Burlington, WA... and then through a beautiful mountain area on hwy #20... maybe spend a couple of nights at the above-mentioned spot near Winthrop (ahem, or will you need/want 3??)?

Then press on toward Leavenworth, WA... at least one night there... then via Ellensburg... (take the RIVER route - #821 to) Yakima... and then west via Highway #410.

(again, do as little as possible in Yakima... for starters, it's a place that can't even spell its own name correctly

See how that fits your thoughts...
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
For a few of those 10 days, I'd take a ferry over to Victoria BC.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Great suggestions. Victoria would be perfect for a honeymoon. It is a charming town with lots to do, good places to eat, and excellent hotel options.

HTtY
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 03:17 PM

However, the original post says they are staying in the US for their honeymoon- that leaves Victoria out.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM

I read the OP differently - that they are able to splurge on hotels more than if they flew outside of the US for their honeymoon. A ferry to Victoria may fit their budget AND give them a different experience. IMO it's like landing in England without the flight
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for these responses! It looks like a few folks aren't sure about the Seattle area as a good honeymoon spot. We would be willing to go out of the area if need be -- we need to fly into and out of Seattle because my fiancé has a conference there at the end of our honeymoon. We went to Victoria, BC together for a conference last year and really liked it. We'd consider going back, though it might be nice to try somewhere new. It looks like the Oregon coast might be a good idea??

NorthwestMale - to answer your question, we are coming from North Carolina, though I am from England and my fiancé is from Virginia.

We'd also consider renting a house rather than staying at hotels the whole time. We're just not really sure what to do! Thanks so much for your advice -- it's much appreciated!
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 07:39 AM

I think the Seattle area is great for a honeymoon! With 10 days though, I would opt for adding ONP as well as the North Cascades and Leavenworth areas that were already mentioned. There is so much beauty and so much to do, 10 days will leave you wanting more. I would look at vacation rentals at ONP and the Leavenworth area especially, and if you go that route for Seattle itself you will be more apt to find a house with a view as well as rates less than hotels. Hotel rates in Seattle in July and August are very high with it being cruise season.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 08:02 AM

I think you can't go wrong with ONP, North Cascades or the Oregon Coast- all beautiful- the coast can be foggy and chilly in the summer, especially if its hot inland.

Sun Mountain Lodge is really spectacular- and I love Lake Crescent Lodge too

And then there is the San Juan Islands too- too many choices
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 08:13 AM

If you've been to Victoria already, you may want to spend your time elsewhere. (Personally, I'd go back and stay at the Empress again for two nights.) I'd definitely head out to the San Juans. This is at the top of my bucket list and their kayaking tours include 3 day wine or craft beer tours. Take a look to see what you think -
http://www.outdoorodysseys.com/sea-k...-descriptions/

I agree that a mix of Olympic National Park, the San Juans and Seattle would make for a wonderful 10 day honeymoon.
http://www.nps.gov/olym/index.htm
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 08:14 AM

For a foodie splurge, the first thing that came to mind was staying a night or two at the Willows Lodge in Woodinville, and then having dinner at the Herbfarm. You could tour wineries / wine tasting rooms for an afternoon (even better if you splurge again and hire a driver).

Willows Lodge is also fun because it shares a parking lot with the Redhook Brewery. You can also go on a kayak tour from Redhook which is fun/different. But I'd avoid the ropes course...it tries hard, but isn't that thrilling. You could also do a hot air balloon ride in Woodinville.

I think this area - especially in July - is a lovely choice for a honeymoon.

Leavenworth is also a fun suggestion - it's a beautiful drive on Hwy 2, and the town itself is pretty cute/fun for a night.

OR fly into Portland, stay a few nights, maybe see the coast (I'm partial to Manzanita), make a stop in Hood River Oregon, and make your way up to Seattle. Lots of choices!
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 08:17 AM

I agree with Beanweb on the Willows, etc. They have a really good spa there too. If you want something a bit less pricier than the Herbfarm, the Barking Frog there is very good too. It would fit the bill though for a great place to stay, great food, and a great spa.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

These are such wonderful ideas! Thank you all so much. I can't wait to have the time to search the web for each of these suggestions and plan a trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -