Honeymoon in the Keys? Help!

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Terri Smith

Honeymoon in the Keys? Help!

Getting married july 7th...interested in going to the keys. I need serious help! We are budgeted for around $2000 for 1 week stay. We are 30 and 26 yrs old. We would like to try snorkeling for sure and any other things that the Keys are known for. Partying included ! haha
Is a chain hotel better? or a condo? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
We will be flying in from Alabama, will it be best to arrive in Miami? or somewhere closer?

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Ginny

Terri-I would suggest staying in a romantic b&b. The Marquessa gets good reviews here. Do a text search on Key West and you will find tons of info. Stay away from the chain hotels unless it is the Hilton. The Galleon is another great place to stay, but it is condos that the owners rent out. Not nearly as romantic as a b&b in my opinion.

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:43 PM
John

First, congratulations Terri. Second, I would reserve a room soon if Key West is in your plans. We're going in June and many of our top choices are sold out.

Also, there is an airfare sale going on until the end of the week so check fares directly into Key West. Usually New Orleans (my hometown) to Key West costs about $500 so we fly to Miami. Yesterday I bought a ticket directly into KW for $170 roundtrip on Continental!

Old May 8th, 2001, 05:51 PM
susan

It would help a lot if you'd let us know where in the keys you want to go. From Miami down to Key West is about a 4 hour trip, so it's really impossible to make recommendations until we know exactly where you want to stay. My personal preference is Key West.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Ron

Terri,

I'm with Ginny, Marquesa Hotel! Here is my view of the place:

Pros: Staff, staff, and staff. Romantic, atmosphere, rooms, pools and close location to Duval St.

Cons: Very pricey.

The Bottom Line The friendly and knowledgeable staff treat the stunning home and its guests with extraordinary care. The decor is handsome; the plush creature comforts reflect first-class accommodations.

This is a charming place. Each room is uniquely, but tastefully decorated. The best part is the pool area. It is beautiful. Relax among richly landscaped pools and gardens against a backdrop of brick steps rising to the villa like suites on the property's perimeter. Tea is offered poolside. It is much larger area then what many of the B&Bs here offer, so I doubt you will feel crowded. Make sure you ask about all the rooms before you make a decision. They also offer you wine when you check-in.

The Marquesa offers the charm of a small historic hotel coupled with the amenities of a large resort. It encompasses four buildings, two adjacent swimming pools, and a three-stage waterfall that cascades into a lily pond. Two of the hotel's houses are luxuriously restored Victorian homes whose rooms are outfitted with extra-plush antiques and oversize contemporary furniture. The rooms in the two other, newly constructed buildings are even richer; many have four-poster wrought-iron beds with bright floral spreads. The green marble bathrooms are lush and spacious. The decor is simple, elegant, and spotless. These are the only hotel rooms I have ever seen that I would love to have in my own home. They one place we've been in the world where we were asked if we wanted wine while registering.

Dining/Entertainment: One of Key West's most elegant restaurants, The Cafe Marquesa, serves only dinner. You can, however, order breakfast to your room or at poolside.
It offers consistently good service and food. Combinations of fresh seafood and Caribbean sauces, try the grilled shrimp with black-bean salsa and coconut rice. Reservations required.

Facilities: Concierge, valet, newspaper delivery, twice-daily maid service, valet parking. Two outdoor swimming pools (one is heated), access to nearby health club.

Size: 27 units, Extras: A/C MINIBAR TV TEL, No children under 12 allowed, Prices: Winter $245-$380 double. Off-season $155-$265 double.

Room Rate: US$ 155- 265
Room Type: Suite
Best Suited For: Romantic Getaway