Honeymoon in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading info on this board for a few weeks now trying to find the answer to my questions without adding a posting, but here I go. We are planning to get married at Christmas here in Virginia and spend our honeymoon in SF & Monterey for about 8 or 9 days starting Dec 26th. I have been to SF 4 or 5 times, but not for 10 years. My sweetie is English and has never been there. She insists that's the place. I love the area, so no problem. So my question is, where should we stay in both locations? Money is an object, but I will spend $300+ plus a night if it is worth the money and will give her the experience she deserves. At the same time, I realise that the best places don't always have to be expensive. She loves the sea. Being close to it, looking at it, listening to it. Everything to do with water touches her soul. I found the Inn above Tide in Sausalito and because of the location, the balconies over the bay, it seemed like a place she would love. Also found the Casa Madrona. Those two seem to satisfy the close to the ocean feeling. Any opinions on these or other places or other places to stay?

Now, I have to show her SF itself. Should I forget those places and stay in town? If so where?

On to Monterey. Her daughter and family went to SF and Monterey for the first time about a month ago and they insist we have to stay at the Spendrift Inn for the water experience and the closeness to Cannery row. I don't mind being in the middle of things, but don't want to feel like I'm on Bourbon street during Mardi Gras either. What do you think? As far as what to do in both places, I think I've read enough of everyone's earlier postings to answer that, so just help me decide where to stay. Don't get me wrong, I'll take any advise anyone wants to give me.

Sorry I made this so long. Thank you in advance for your help. By the way, for what it's worth, we are in our 50's and have been together for 4 years.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:24 AM

I would choose Inn over Madrona as it's directly on the water. There are 2 easy connections with the city - Ferry to Embarcadero, or Golden Gate transit bus. #10 runs along Van Ness and Mission (parallel Market) and $50 goes, I think, through the Richmond area, Golden Gate park - depending on where you're going.

I don't even know if I'd prefer to stay in Sausalito or in the city.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:46 AM
SAB

I would choose Carmel over Monterey for a honeymoon and would pick the Highland Inn with it's great views of the ocean. Or if I was really going to splurge, the Post Ranch Inn.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:46 AM

California in the summertime, which is what her daughter saw, can be very different from California in the wintertime, which is when you propose to come.

There are still plenty of things to do in the wintertime. It might help to get an idea of your interests -food, wine, hiking, theater? Or even a ski trip to Tahoe for a few days?
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:09 AM

I just registered so i could post a reply to your message....so you MUST take my advice!! If you are going to be in Sausalito you have got to take a 3 hour cruise on the Hawaiian Chieftan. New ship that was built to look like an old 18th century trading ship! My hubby took me on a cruise for my bday...best thing he EVER did. Blindfolded me all the way to the dock!

We are in SF right now and i just got back from my 2nd trip with them, different from the first but just as enjoyable. This one was a sunset trip, with wine and snacks provided. The first trip was a daytime adventure cruise where they show you and let you work the rigging , unfurl the sails, teach you about old fashioned sailing! You must visit the web site. The guys tell me that they are possibly selling the Ship next year to a movie company.

$80 doesn't go very far in SF, but it will buy you 2 tickets for 3 hours she will never forget!

http://www.hawaiianchieftain.com

PS. they may not be in SF during winter...i think they go further south, but worth checking into.