Honeymoon in Oregon - Tips Please! :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé and I are tying the knot in late April, and a friend of mine generously paid for our airfare to honeymoon in Oregon We're both 23, so renting a car is not really an option. A friend of ours may lend us their car, however.
I'm wondering what the weather is typically like in late April, and how we should pack.
Also, where are some good (and affordable) places to stay?
What sights would you recommend seeing? (We're already planning on seeing the Japanese Gardens)

We both love the outdoors, picnics are one of our favorite things to do. Our first date was at a local nature preserve, and it is where he proposed as well.
We're also both musicians (he plays traditional Irish guitar, whistle, and flute. I play wedding and Irish harp music), so music-related things would be pretty fun for both of us.
And museums! We always enjoy museums!

So if you were a 23-year-old, somewhat-hipster (gosh, I hate that I fall into that category) person on their honeymoon, what would you make sure to do with your new spouse?

Any tips would be appreciated!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 03:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
First, congratulations!

All the major agencies make provisions for under-25 drivers. You might have to pay a little extra, but it's certainly doable. A car is almost a must.

The weather in April is all about "where." On the Oregon coast it's likely to be wet, it might be snowing on Mount Hood, and in eastern Oregon it can be warm and lovely.

With your preferences it sounds like the Columbia Gorge - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_5a.JPG - is the place for you. You've got beautiful waterfalls that will be full of water from melting mountain snows, the orchards in the Hood River Valley - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_85a.JPG - will be in bloom, and you can pop up to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood where they'll still be skiing.

Hood River is far enough east that you're out of the wettest climate, and as you go further east it dries out more, and by the time you're at The Dalles or Maryhill the landscape has changed to red rocks and sagebrush.

Like museums, you say? Well, the Maryhill Museum is a don't-miss: Rodin in the sagebrush and a weird copy of Stonehenge just down the road. http://maryhillmuseum.org

Look at McMenamin's Edgefield for a very fun and funky place to stay - 15 min. from PDX airport and 20 from the Columbia Gorge. http://www.mcmenamins.com/Edgefield McMenamins has properties in Portland, too. Music is a big deal at their hotels.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 04:40 PM

Check out the Travel Portland website.
Has info on upcoming events and also lodging info.
You might like the Kennedy School-- a hotel- or the Inn at Northrup Station.
There is a lot going on in Portland in the way of music.
Forest Park is a large Park in Portland with lots of hiking trails.
Maybe visit the Japanese gardens - beautiful any time of year.

Portland is famous for its food carts and there is even a food cart tour available.

The Pearl is where a lot of the young people's action is. Lots of restaurants, bars and brewpubs.

April could be anything weather wise. But I would count on it being cool, maybe
rainy.
You could rent bikes and ride the Springwater Corrider trail which goes along the river.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Also on the west side of Portland is the World Forestry Center and the zoo. http://www.worldforestry.org/
If you can't get a car, you can get to Bend using the Central Oregon Breeze bus service.
There are buses that go from Bend up to the Mt. Bachelor ski area which will still have plenty of snow if you wanted to ski or snowboard.
Getting around the Portland area is quite easy on the TriMet system with light rail from the airport (red line), bus and a trolley system in the downtown area.
If it does rain while you are in Portland, head for Powells books. (10th & Burnside).
You can also get a bus over to the coast (Seaside or Cannon Beach).
The hostel in Seaside is cheap and they do rent kayaks for the day.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! A friend of ours has offered to let us use her car as long as we don't speed or eat donuts in it
We cannot wait to see the sights and enjoy our first trip together!
Thanks for helping us out with ideas!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:33 PM

Thinking about your musical leanings, i believe 5 Pint Mary is located in Bend (a favorite band of mine). You might want to consider tomfuller's suggestions in that area. Otherwise, Portland sounds like it might be pretty good too.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Also, now that we have a vehicle, we are considering making Washington a part of our trip as well... Any suggestions on what to do there?
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 06:15 PM

I don't know if you will still be in Oregon but there is an event at the Tower Theater in Bend on May 10.
http://www.towertheatre.org/tickets-...the-carpenters
The week before is comedy at the Tower.
About 5 miles south of Bend you want to see the High Desert Museum.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Hood River (Columbia River Gorge) and Cannon Beach (Oregon coast) are both accessible by public transportation from Portland.

These are both delightful towns, and beautiful Ecola State Park is a 3- to 4-mile hike from Cannon Beach.

HTtY
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 08:29 PM

Astoria, OR has a maritime museum, and that's probably my favorite museum in the region. If you do go to Seattle, the Wing Luke Museum in Chinatown is hands down one of the best small museums I've been to in the nation. And I have been to a lot of museums...Also in Seattle, the underground tour would be perfect for you as well as the Sci fi/Emp museum and Chihuly Glass. Seattle Art Museums has some impressive collections. But Portland is pretty much hipster paradise- and Powells Books is nearly museum status (or an sacred shrine for books lol). Pittock Mansion is good if you like historic house museums. Unique shopping, hipster wise- absolutely do not miss Paxton gate. And if you have any interest in terrariums, check out Roosevelt's. Best terrarium shop I've been to and the bonus is that the owner is a Teddy Roosevelt reenactor (impersonator?) anyway, it's definitely one of those only in Portland kind of shops.

Kells (Irish pub) is a good bet for music although I generally like the one in Seattle more than the Portland location. Definitely try to stay at the mcmenamins!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 09:51 PM

Since you have a car, you might consider Silver Falls State Park which is east of Salem. There are 10 waterfalls connected by a hiking trail. We have had a lot of rain so should be lots of water coming over the falls. Some of the trails go behind the falls, so water gushing out over your head. You can get trail maps at the visitors center. Trails may be muddy this time of year so wear shoes that will keep your feet dry.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 02:43 PM

Most romantic place we visited in Oregon was the Tu Tu Tun Lodge in Gold Beach. If I could do a second honeymoon anywhere, it'd be right up there on my list
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 03:14 PM

Gold Beach is much farther south than they wanted to go on the Oregon coast.