Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Nantucket. Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 1998, 10:19 AM
Laura

My original question didn't get posted correctly. My question was if anyone had any suggestions on where to stay on a honeymoon in Nantucket? I've heard about The Summer House, but can't find anything on the web to give me more info. Also heard of the Wauwinet, but thought it might be to exclusive. Has anyone ever stayed there before? What was the atmosphere?

Our honeymoon is in September, 1999. We'll be in Nantucket for 5 nights. I'd prefer to be near the beach, but am flexible.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Laura

Old Dec 30th, 1998, 02:51 PM
Donna

Best of the best would be the Wharf Cottages (800-425-2637), situated right on the harbor, convenient to town, but far enough out of the way for privacy, which are part of the White Elephant Hotel. The Wauwinet (800-426-8718) is an excellent choice, since it is on the water. It's too far to walk to town (not that you'd every want to leave), but they have a shuttle service to pick you up at the very and take you back and forth to town. We love the Summer House for dinner (very Cassablanca - awesome spot for enjoying a drink on the porch after dinner with the moon shining on the lapping waves on one side and the piano music wafting from inside). I wouldn't recommend staying here though. I don't think they provide transportation to town, so you'd have to take a taxi (not that big a deal). But, the real problem is privacy. The cottages are wonderful and overlook the ocean. Unfortunately, all the foot traffic to and from the restaurant goes right by and can be very annoying. You can't get any closer to the ocean than the Cliffside Beach Club (228-0618), where you can step right from your room or deck onto the beach. They also have a spectacular restaurant overlooking the ocean. Watch out for the Beachside. They promote themselves heavily and it's no where near the beach. If you are planning to take a car to Nantucket, it would be advisable to make a reservation on the ferry each way NOW. The Visitor's Bureau publishes a fabulous guide (228-0925). As I recall, they charge $5 s&h, but it's well worth it.

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 07:34 AM
John

We have stayed at the Wauwinet. It is luxury personified (by Nantucket standards. The rooms are not big but the location is great (at the end of the island beach and bay nearby. Has the most fabulous restaurant on the Island (Toppers). They have van service itnto the town so you don't need a car.

Old Apr 3rd, 1999, 11:13 AM
rosalyn

My husband and I spent our honeymoon on Nantucket. We stayed at one of the Coffin Houses. Unfortunately I can't remember the name. There are at least two. I know we didn't stay at the main house which was across the street. The room was simple and very roomy. They had an enormous and very nice breakfast at the main house and it was located in town although not directly on Main street. If you're looking for luxury, it's not the place.