Search

Honeymoon in CA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 07:53 AM
molly

Honeymoon in CA

We are currently going crazy trying to find the
perfect Honeymoon destination for late October. Our ideal
destination would be warm weather, beaches,mild hiking, great restaurants (not too pricey), private accomodations (fire place in room maybe...again not too pricey), a little dancing, swimming, bicycle rides, exploring on our own. But we also are on a budget. We are 24 and 27 years old and do not want to come back home more exhausted than when we left. Do you
have any suggestions? We would like to stay between $3000 and $4000. for 1 week (including air.) Any help would be so greatly appreciated!! Thank You!!!

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Gary

It depends on what you mean by "warm", but how about San Diego? It's a popular place, so there are chain motels that wouldn't cost so much. It's a beautiful city, and not so big that you can't drive a little way and be surrounded by gorgeous countryside, anything from desrt to mountains to beaches. Though the ocean is too cold for swimming that time of year, the beaches are great. There is some nightlife, and the city has every price-level of restaurant you could want. And bicycles for rent galore.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Christina

How about Costa Rica or somewhere in Mexico like Mazatlan (another board I know). Personal opinion, but I dislike San Diego and wouldn't think of it as good for a honeymoon--I just don't like it, I think it's boring and best for children's activities (ie, Sea World and the zoo), and don't find it a very attractive city either. Lots of other places in California might be nice, but they wouldn't be that warm in Oct and maybe too expensive (like Carmel is romantic and good for activities). I think you are limited if you really want to stay in California to places between Mexico and Santa Barbara for warmth + beach, but the places that might fit your description are expensive. Seriously, I think you could easily do Mexico or Costa Rica for that price and get more value for your money than in coastal California. You should say where you are coming from as that affects your air cost big time (ie Las Vegas or London).
My recommendation: how about Villas Nicolas in Costa Rica near the rain forest/Manuel Antonio national park in Quepos, on the beach--where you can get a villa condo for like $70 a day. Plenty of sports activities (kayaking, hiking, horseback, biking, etc) plus beach. If you live on west coast and that's your reason for CA, the air fare won't be too bad. Go to www.costarica.org/vilnic.html or www.orbitcostarica.com/villanicolas.htm for descriptions (they claim it is a "honeymoon paradise" -- I would definitely prefer it over some cheap CA motel. I've never been there but just became aware of this as I was helping a friend plan his vacation there and he's internet-challenged; I think his sisterinlaw had stayed there and loved it.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 09:24 AM
lisa

Your budget is very good for a week -- you aren't limiting yourself that much at all, especially since October is the off-season for a lot of destinations including the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, etc. If you are willing to leave the U.S. then I suggest:

1. St. Lucia -- gorgeous. An incredible place to stay there is Ladera -- check out www.ladera-resort.com -- they have open-air rooms with private plunge pools, perched high on a hillside with views of the mountains and the caribbean. Even the least expensive rooms have breathtaking views. You can get package deals that make it even more affordable -- when we went in November '98 our travel agent got us airfare on American Airlines, a week's accommodations including breakfast, and a choice of one excursion (we chose a guided hike in the rainforest) for $2400 total for two (may be a bit higher now if Ladera has raised its rates since them, plus it probably depends on where you are leaving from). Wonderful hiking, restaurants, gardens, waterfalls, snorkeling, mountain biking 10 minutes away. Lots of info on this on the Caribbean forum.

2. Costa Rica -- also gorgeous. Check out the Latin America forum for lots of info and a trip report from my trip in November '99. There is an INCREDIBLE resort on the Pacific coast called Villa Caletas (http://www.distinctivehotels.com/hot...etas/index.htm) which has great off-season rates (we paid $85 a night for a gorgeous private Villa with ocean-view balcony complete with toucans in an adjacent almond tree), incredible food, the most beautiful food I've ever seen, amazing views, and a private beach. A little further south is a wonderful national park called Manuel Antonio which has very nice beaches, where you can see tons of wildlife -- monkeys, tree sloths, you name it -- and there are lots of accommodations options there.

Also, I would look into Mexico or Hawaii if those interest you at all. You can definitely do a week in either of those within your price range. I'm currently planning trips to both places and have found some great bargains out there in really special places -- e.g. $85 per night at Hanalei Bay Resort on Kauai at the entertainment book rate. In Mexico look into Isla Mujeres or Playa del Carmen maybe.

The only thing none of these places have is a fireplace in the room -- but if you want warm weather then fireplaces don't really fit into the picture. For fireplaces in the room and warmish weather in October, I would think about California if I were you -- Big Sur or one of those romantic inns in Napa Valley maybe.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 11:11 AM
kam

Napa will still be quite warm in October with Big Sur a bit cooler because it's near the ocean. Incredibly romantic hotel in Healdsburg, that's in the Sonoma wine country, called Madrona Manor. Ask about the Honeymoon suite rate. Or, somewhere in Mendocino like the Joshue Grindle House. Farther south in Pacific Grove there are wonderful Victorians as well. It's hard to know what you mean by "warm". For me almost all of the coast of California will be warm although too cold to swim.Rains shouldn't have started at that time. Congratulations.