Search

Holland Michigan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Jan

Holland Michigan

Is Holland Mi worth a trip over if I am visiting Douglas? Is it hokey? I have children ages7,10,15....I guess i'm talking about the wooden shoe factory, etc...\
Would appreciate any comments.......

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:10 PM
jan

Oh, please...someone post a reply...hasn't anyone been to this town? anyone, anyone?????

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Paul

My Brother lives in Holland. It is a nice town, has a great Lake Michigan shoreline, and some good restaurants and shops in the downtown area. The city has spent a lot of money on downtown renewal and it shows. In the winter, they even have the snow "heat melt" through a warming system under the sidewalks.

I have not stayed at any of the hotels in Holland, but I would assume there are some good ones. Hope college is also in Holland. They are shown every year during the holidays on PBS for their Christmas Vespers.

I wish I could tell you more. I know that DubYa spoke at the huge Central Weslayn (sp?) Church there before the election. The town is rather 'right' in it's thinking, while Douglas and Saugatuckt are more 'center/left.'

I hope you enjoy it. Lake Michigan has a wonderful shore.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:03 PM
SouthHaven

As a child I loved visiting Holland. The windmills, wooden shoes, tulips. Your 7 and 10 year olds will probably enjoy it. Be sure to see the Dutch Village and Windmill Island.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Robbyn

Your going to Saugatuck aren't you? It's right next to Douglas. A wonderful place with a great beach on the other side of the river. Lots and lots of neat shops, resturants,bars, etc. Holland is okay, though it's more of a city than a cute little town like saugatuck. Have fun.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Craig

A cuple of other thoughts with the kids.
The wooden shoe factory is interesting. the kids might like it. There are dune rides also in the Saug. area. Downtown Saug. also has a little chain ferry across the river which could be fun for them. The beach in Saug. is very nice, the Douglas beach is not as nice. It is also a gay beach.
One other thing Holland is a heavy Dutch Reformed Church area and not alot of stores are open on Sunday.