HOLLAND AMERICA CRUISETOUR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I have booked a Cruise Tour Package with Holland America - 3 days Inside Passage and 8 days land tour that includes Dawson City, Denali National Park, Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Has anyone been on this type of tour and if so, what additional excusions were worth trying? There are so many to choose from and they are mighty expensive.

Help?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Yes, That's what I did my first trip to Alaska. My land tour also went up into Canada, then we made our way to Skagway and the HAL Zaandam.
In Fairbanks:the Salmon Bake is great! YUMMMMMMMY. As far as excursions, although expensive you will be very happy if you try something that is a flight, by float plane, small fixed or helicopter. Hiking on a glacier might interest you as well and being with the sled dogs. You don't say what your ports are. But I am guessing Ketchikan is one. I really enjoyed Misty Fjords. You can do it by sea or by air, very different experiences. If you do air somewhere else opt for sea.

Choosing the shore excursions for Alaska can be challenging, soooooo many.

Enjoy Alaska and HAL
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have booked the helicopter flight with dog sledding in Juneau. Mighty pricey but I hear it's great. Also booked the Salmon Bake and Palace Theatre in Fairbanks. But, I'm wondering about the excursions in Dawson City? Did you stop there? Two nights and a whole day here. There are Jeep tours, river rafting, hiking, etc. Did you try any of these?

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Hi There, Seems you have make some nice choices for your trip. No, My trip did not stop in Dawson City, so I don't know what there is to do there. Try something that interests you and that you have not done before.

Enjoy Alaska!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

To hpeabody,

Our tour is for 11 days along with an extra day that we booked in Vancourver beforehand. (We're coming from Florida)

I'm trying not to overpack & that is ALWAYS a problem for me. Is casual the norm for the Cruisetours? Also, we will only be on the Ryndam for 3 days at the beginning of the tour, the rest is the land portion. Will that include a formal evening onboard ship? I'm hoping not as that's just more to pack. Any helpful suggestions?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Just like this U.S. forum there is a Cruises forum - look at the upper left spot for the menu. there will be some cruise type experts there.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Hi, We took the Ryndam for 7 days on May 28 out of Vancouver BC. There were quite a few people that were on the Cruise Tour for 3 days on Ryndam and they got off in Skagway and continued on. Our cruise had two formal nights. Since there was another group that boarded ship in Skagway that had been on a cruise Tour before and then ended with us on Ryndam. We went to Juneau,Skagway and Ketchikan. We were on open seating so we got to talk to a lot of people who were on Cruise Tours.
If you don't want to go to the formal night you don't have too. There is a buffet up on the Lido deck in the evening. We had a ocean view cabin and had a great time. If you have any questions I would love to tell you more.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Hi there,
I think carolsong said it well. I think you WILL likely have 1 formal night. Try looking for a lightweight dress that may be simple and accessorize to glam it up.
Personally, I would not spend the formal night at the Lido buffet. I enjoy the surf and turf and baked Alaska and seeing everyone looking soooooooooo nice