Search

Holiday to Orlando

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:26 AM
ann anderson

Holiday to Orlando

We are going on holiday to Florida on 21st April for 12days. We are staying at the Best Western Movieland. We are not hiring a car,can we get about alright without one?Should we buy our tickets before we go or wait till we get there? Where can I find out the prices of the park tickets if we decide to purchase them over there? We will be taking my 4year old grandson with us,where do you advise us to take him?
I would greatly appreciate any help Thanks

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Postal

Where is the Best Western Movieland located? If it is in Kissimmee, you will definitely need to rent a car. Actually, I would recommend renting a car no matter where you stay, so you can travel around the area without depending on public transportation, which isn't that good.

All the parks - Disney's four, Universal's two, and Sea World - cost about $50 per adult per day.

It's been awhile since I had to entertain a child that young, so I'll let someone else take over those suggestions!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:03 AM
marylouise

Ann
We just returned from Orlando/Disney. Adult passes are about $50/day and about $40/day for a child.
I can't offer info on your car rental question but just want to share that "The Unofficial Guide to WDW" by Bob Sehlinger was an extremely helpful book for navigating the whole Disney/Orlando adventure. A very valuable $17.00 investment! Among other recommendations, the itineraries (in the back of the book) and the suggestion to arrive one hour early at the park gate were advice that made our park visits sane. We encountered minimal line-waiting and saw all the highlights we'd hoped to see. We found most of the advice to be right on.
Also, most hotels will sell park tickets though some provide only the multi-day passes. Info about that is in the book ,too.
Have a fun trip!
Marylouise

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Marylouise

Ann
One more thing! I just looked in my "Unofficial Guide..." and it has a whole section about whether to rent a car or not and more info should you decide to rent one!
Good luck!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:42 AM
Gin

Check out Disney's website, www.disneyworld.com. You'll get some great tips on www.disboards.com and mousesavers.com. Will second the advice to get a car. It isn't that easy to get from here to there in either Kissimmee or Orlando. Have a good time.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Alan

As well as the two wbsites mentioned by the previous poster, also click on to http://mousecodes.com for money-saving codes to quote when contacting the Disney people, and www.orlandotripplanner.com, for questions and answers (from experts)on just about everything you could think of. One point about the Best Western Movieland: do they offer free shuttle buses to the various parks, and if so, how often do they run? This is a very important question to investigate before deciding whether you wish to rent a car or not. Coming from Australia, we found the size of Orlando absolutely amazing, and, without a car, we had to do everything by public bus, which can take hours. We were glad that we had accommodation inside Walt Disney World, so that we could use their excellent transport system... but, of course, this isn't much use to you if you have a hankering for things other than Disney! Listen carefully to the people above who advised hiring a car... and if this isn't possible, maybe decide exactly what you plan to see and adjust your accommodation accordingly.