Holiday in San Francisco in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 09:36 PM
Virpi

Hello!

My husbend and I are coming to San Francisco for 11 days in about a week. So we will be spending 4th of July in SF. How could foreigners partisipate your celebration?
We are planning to visit Wine Country (Napa/Sonoma)on an organized tour. Can anyone suggest a tour organizing company?
Also we would like to take a tour on our own to Santa Cruz and Silicon Valley. Is there something we shouldn't miss on this drive and what route to take?
And since we are coming from Finland, Europe I would like to know what places to see very early in the morning(I suspect to wake up around 5 am ;-)).

Thank you in advance!

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 05:48 AM
Owen O'Neill

In the US, the 4th of July is celebrated most frequently with parades and fireworks as spectator events and family outings (such as picnics or cookouts) as a participatory event. This year, because the 4th falls on Saturday, Friday will be a holiday from work for most people and expect the fireworks to mosty likely be on Friday OR Saturday night. The "Entertainment" section of the SF newpapers will have schedules and also list other events of interest. I've only been to SF a few times but strongly recommend the boat tour to the former Alcatraz prison. Take the audio tour - it's fascinating history. Also consider bringing a box lunch and enjoying the shoreline and view from the island. It's a bird sanctuary and offers the BEST view of the SF skyline that is available from any point. Walking the Golden Gate Bridge in the early morning fog might be fun but best to check with the locals as to best time of morning for that. Also, don't forget a jacket or sweater for evenings - SF gets cold breezes at night in mid-summer - and have fun - you'll love it there!

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 07:22 AM
Nyet

Hi there! 11 days is a long time for SF. Maybe you would consider some of the areas outskirts like Monterey & Carmel. These are beautiful towns and you will truly remember it. Also, don't miss out Sausalito across the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a very small town but a lovely place to watch the ships go by. Whatever you do, pls bring a jacket or sweater with you. The weather can change suddenly and gets chilly.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 07:45 AM
ram

The Bay Area is wonderful; you'll certainly find a lot to do for 11 days. There is a wine train which is a popular tour into the Napa Valley- you may find something on the web if you search "wine train". I agree that it is worth a visit down to Monterey and Carmel and if you have a few days, you can also make it down to the famous Hearst "Castle"- I'm sure there are tours from SF to there if you are not keen on driving yourself- although the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway is quite spectacular (but a little challenging- especially in bad weather). Highly recommend a trip out to Yosemite National Park as well (only 2-3 hrs. away). Enjoy.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 07:50 AM
ram

I forgot to add- I don't think there is really any tourist value in going to the Silicon Valley. All it is a large, spread out industrial area with many computer related companies- it is not a specific destination.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 11:39 AM
Kam

Have to protest here----as a resident of Palo Alto, one of the most prestigious universities, Stanford is here. Palo Alto is a wealthy college town with many interesting shops. Saratoga is another lovely little town as is Los Gatos. My recommended route would be to come south on 280 and exit at Woodside Road. Go West on Woodside (uphill) through some of the most beautiful redwoods to Skyline Road. Turn left on Skyline and stop every now and then to see the whole of the bay area. When you get to Route 9, you can go left and end up in Saratoga or right and cross the Santa Cruz Mtn. through lots of redwoods again. If Bonny Doon winery is open don't miss it. You will come down near Santa Cruz which is a funky beach town and then head north again on Route 1 which you can take all the way back to SF along the Pacific. If you want to stop for lunch, try the Moss Beach Distillery in Half Moon Bay--has it's own ghost. The above poster has probably only been to Sunnyvale and Cupertino and I would avoid them too, but there's a lot to see in Silly Valley!! Also luxury shopping at the Stanford Shopping Center in P.A.--to get directly to Stanford, take the Sand Hill exit from 280. Also, ask about Filoli Gardens if you like to see beautiful old homes and gardens. Enjoy at least one day here---and you could make it the day before you go down to Carmel which is where we go everytime we have a spare weekend!

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 03:06 PM
michael

Hi:

I spend a lot of time in San Francisco, where most of my family lives. All of the above advice is good, and Stamford University and Palo Alto are worth visiting. Have you considered renting a car? It is very easy and the roads are excellent, whether up in Napa and Sonoma or heading south toward Carmel. Part of the fun of exploring the region is the freedom to go where you want on any given day. Driving around Napa (do this on a weekday to avoid the crowds) is nicest on your own. Sonoma, which is further away from San Francisco, almost requires a car as most tours do not go there. In many respects, I like Sonoma more than Napa.

For two great meals, make reservations now to eat at the Auberge du Soleil in Napa, as well as The French Laundry in Napa. Both are leading American restaurants. These should be listed in your guidebooks.

Near to San Francisco, while lots of tourists go to Salsaulito, the locals go to Tiburon which is smaller, quainter, and quieter. There are a series of wonderful restaurants along the shoreline of Tiburon for lunch and/or dinner.

For a great afternoon of walking with great views, drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and park in the Marin Headlands, This is a very large park and protected area. There are great trails with scenic vistas of the city, ocean, and bridge. Plus there are ruins of old military fortifications and lots of wildlife. It is very worthwhile.

For two great meals in San Francisco, try Cafe Kadi (French/American/Vietnamese fusion cuisine) (I think that is how you spell it -- it is right off Fillmore Street)and Blowfish (superb Japanese/Californian sushi).

The coast road from San Francisco to Santa Cruz and then on to Carmel is a joy. Stop in Half Moon Bay for lunch. You should plan on spending two nights in Carmel or Monterrey -- it is definitely worth it. Best Western has a series of very nice hotels on the ocean which are reasonable and easy to book from abroad.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 04:14 PM
kam

Definitely agree with the above---rent a car and drive up to Napa/Sonoma. A wonderful place to stay in Sonoma is in Healdsburg at the Madrona Inn--eat there also. Also eat at the Souvorain winery restaurant--yum. Napa is more touristy and not much fun on a weekend---whereas your drive to Palo Alto and down Skyline Drive would be great on a weekend. There are great outlet shops at Gilroy on the way from the Peninsula to Carmel, just off Hwy 101. Only warning---expect Yosemite would be fully booked at this point so could only be a daytrip, not spending the night. Enjoy.

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 02:33 AM
Conrad Becker

We two are going to san Francisco at the end of July
and thank everybody for there great sugestions we plan to stay at
union square and then hire a car a go to Yosimite ..but we don't know
where to stay there..it may be booked out since it
is yur summer time.. oh well once again thanks to all from australia.

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 11:49 AM
Bob

I live in Silicon valley...San Jose. Not much to see here considering all else in the area. As for Yosemite: good luck in summer. You may want to check with Redwood Cabins in Wawona at the South end. These are private homes that are rented out. Tourists not always aware of them. We use them and they are nice. Nice place in Carmel is the Pine Inn. Good eats at Roys at the Spanish bay resort. Have a good time. We travel all over the world, but this is the best place to come home to.

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 06:15 PM
kam

I guess we can't decide how to define the Silicon Valley! I agree San Jose has little to offer as does Sunnyvale, Cupertino Etc. But, the rest of the Peninsula has some lovely places. I would wonder if Bob from San Jose has been up to Bonny Doon Winery or to Ben Lomond in the Santa Cruz Mtn. Perhaps that's not the S.Valley and we need to call it the Santa Cruz Mtns. At any rate, the Pine Inn in Carmel is a funky old place which used to be a stage coach stop---reminds me of a little Fairmont Hotel in SF---ie. red flocked wallpaper. It does have an excellent restaurant, Il Fornaio---Italian and has parking for guest which is very impt in Carmel. Take a few days and visit the Peninsula and then Carmel. Also take a few days to see Napa or Sonoma (not on the weekend)--our favorite restaurants are Tra Vigne and Mustards Grill. The French Laundry is one of those that requires a credit card in advance and will charge it if you don't arrive. Somehow, that just doesn't appeal to me, although I undersand the economics of it. The John Ash restaurant in Santa Rosa is also excelllent. You could eat your way around the Bay and never be done---something that I think we are attempting to do!! There are so many other things I could tell you, but would suggest you try to find SF Access and Wine Country Access books.

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 09:43 PM
Conrad Becker

Thanks again for all your help..sounds like we will have a great time... thanks

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 02:53 PM
ray seva

Don' forget to pack jackets/sweatshirts. It gets REALLY cold in San Francisco. It can be 100-degrees all around the Bay Area...and barely 60-degrees here in SF. The wind and fog makes it seem much colder.
It's really, really quite fun to see all the tourists/visitors dressed in summer gear (shorts, tank-tops, sandals) freezing their buns off...while I share the same sidwalk wearing a jacket (sometimes my down-filled jacket.) So bring a jacket along w/the summer stuff.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 03:47 AM
Conrad

Thanks Ray i was thinking it would be hot over there..so i'll pack something warm..we are going down to LA via the coast too..and then over to Las Vegas..Thanks again for all the great advise..All the best from downunder...