Reload this Page >

Historic bars of NYC

Search

Historic bars of NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Dan

Historic bars of NYC

I'm going to be spending a few days in NYC next month and would like to visit a couple of the city's more historic drinking spots. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:42 AM
xyz

I honestly cannot remember if this place has a bar, or if its now just a restaurant (maybe someone else will know?).. but there's a cool place "under" the Brooklyn Bridge just off of Fulton Street near the Seaport called "Bridge Cafe".. it claims to be one of the oldest drinking establishments in the city (a few make that claim though).. even if its not THE oldest.. its pretty darn old and very cool..

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:45 AM
aNYer

McSorleys Old Ale House, 7th St between 2nd and 3rd Av. It's been around in the same spot forever.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:56 AM
suzanne

I LOVE historical bars. Here are some of the best, which I frequent:

Ear Inn (Spring Street, way way west near the Hudson) - an old sailor hangout, and supposedly haunted. Very good food, and some benches outside where you can take your beer and hang out. It's become popular (i.e., crowded) lately.

Liquor Store (West Broadway at No Moore St) - the oldest continually inhabited building in the city. It doesn't serve food but it has great big windows...good for people-watching.

Walker's (Varick and No Moore St) Don't know the history on this one, but I'm sure there is some. Great food!

Old Town Bar (18th St. East of Broadway) Don't know the history on this one either, except that it used to be shown in the intro to the Letterman Show. I hear the men's rooms are "interesting". Best burgers in the city!

Cedar Tavern (University Place near 11th St.) - an old Beat poet and Dylan hangout.

ddd

Keen's Chophouse.

Owen O'Neill

The Ear Inn - reputed to be the oldest functioning bar in NYC - at 326 Spring Street west of Greenwich.

White Horse Tavern - Hudson at 11th in the west Village - the bar where Dylan Thomas drank regularly (including the 18 whiskies he imbibed the night before his death)

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:57 AM
xxx

The Oak Bar at the Plaza Hotel, The bar at the St. Regis and The Bull and whatever (can't remember) at the Waldorf=Astoria.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:14 AM
P.Styv

Are women allowed in McSorley's?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:19 AM
me

In response to P. Styv's question, yes they allow women and the women even have their own rest room.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:02 AM
al

Dan, you can get more info on most if not all of these places on www.newyork.citysearch.com.

Here's 3 more (with approximate addresses):

PJ Clarkes, on 3rd Avenue & 52.
Landmark Tavern, on 11th Avenue in the 50s.
Pete's Tavern, on 18, east of 5th.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Philip

"Chumley's" on Bedford Street. It used to be a speakeasy during Prohibition.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Laurie

PJ Clarkes is on 3rd & 55th & is currently under renovation.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Elfie

Fraunces Tavern, one of the oldest in the city. Here's a website about it.

http://www.fieldtrip.com/ny/24251778.htm

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Ted

Definitely Chumley's. It's tough to find but worth the effort.

Dorrian's is "historic" for another reason -- Robert Chambers, the "Preppy Murderer," picked up his victim there before murdering her in Central Park. Dorrian's is on 2nd Ave at 84th Street. (This may or may not interest you - some people, particularly those who have seen the movie, find it an interesting bit of pop culture.)

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Dan

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll skip the Preppy Murderer bar since the connection will probably bring down the mood but I'm looking forward to trying some of the others.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Postal

Chumley's is my first choice. I swear it's haunted with all the writers who've been there!