Notices

Hip hotels/restaurants in NYC

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Frank

Hip hotels/restaurants in NYC

We are 3 couples planning to visit NYC in October for five days and are looking for a place to stay. We are in the 20-30's and like to stay in a cool place, but it has to be nice and clean, OK beds and with rooms that are not too small. I've been recommended 3 hotels. W Union Square, Soho Grand and The Mercer. Which should I pick, or does anyone have a better hotel to recommend?

We are also looking for some cools places to have lunch. Any suggestions?

I am planning to book tables at Nobu and Union Square Café for dinner. If anyone has better ideas, please let me know.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:29 AM
kim

Check out the new hotel 60 Thompson in Soho. I posted a review of it back in June. I believe the restaurant and rooftop bar are now open. I have been seeing the place mentioned quite frequently in magazines like People and US as they mention celebrity doings about town.

The other 3 hotels are definitely good choices though!

Loved Union Square Cafe!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Lindsey

My wife and I recvently stayed at the W Union Square. We really liked the hotel and the location. Staff was very helpful, maids were a little slow. Rooms were decent size and clean. Bar scene is very active most evenings. Staying at the hotel gets you in at any time, regardless of the line.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Jennifer

The 3 choices you have are good. My favorite out of the 3 is the W in Union Square. Union Square is hip, close to everything, and filled with great restaurants. If you're staying for the weekend, check out the farmer's market right across the street from the W. In addition to Union Square Cafe, try the Blue Water Grill. Remember if you have trouble getting into Nobu, check out Nobu Next Door. Same owners, just easier to get into. Another great hotel is The Tribeca Grand. Brand new, great atmosphere, and the food in the Church lounge is great!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:07 PM
infoman

Lived in NYC for 8 years and now only go back for business. Have stayed at Soho Grand and love it. Good food and the bar at the Grand is a place to watch people. Great neighborhood and good rooms for NYC. (Actually have views) Can walk to Nobu and Odeon. Mercer and Thompson Street and much smaller and moire $$. Tribeca Grand is bigger and not as nice, I'm told.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:47 PM
TooCool

What makes you cool? And what classifies as hip? Are you a beatnik? Or are you just pretentious?

I don't think New York is ready for you.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:06 PM
Frank

TooCool: I'm not sure if I’m cool or not, but I tend to like hanging out with cool people – and guess what; most of them like hanging out with me! (FYI, I’m Norwegian, and in my language “cool” means a nice, friendly and funny person that dresses well (not necessary in designer labels – but with style). I really hope that NYC is ready for me…

To all of the other answers I’ve got: Thanks a lot! I will check the replies, so please keep up giving me useful advises.