Search

Hilton Head Island

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Head Island

Traveling this summer with 2 adults and 4 teens. Renting a villa/townhouse on the island. Planning on staying close to beach. What is best location for teenagers - Palmetto Dunes, Shipyard, Forest Beach, or Sea Pines? They will have a car and bikes. My husband and I will be taking day trips while the teens will be hanging out. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Sorry. I'm not a Hilton Head expert. If you don't get responses here, try posting your question on the TripAdvisor's HHI forum which might be more active at this time - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum..._Carolina.html
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM

I am a long time Sea Pines vacationer. What's right about Sea Pines for your group is that Sea Pines beaches are excellent. Sea Pines has an extensive network of bike paths. Your teens can bike to Harbor Town, South Beach, and Sea Pines Center for restaurants, shopping, and water activity without leaving Sea Pines. Harbor Town and South Beach have free entertainment most evenings.

Coligny Plaza is just outside the Forest Beach gate for even more shopping and a theater. Can be bike able depending on your rental location.

Many adult and family restaurants are inside and just outside the gates.

Sea pines is safe, attractive, and not crowded. I often say that you can park your car and take a complete vacation on bike or foot inside Sea Pines. Have fun.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

I always check trip advisor but never checked the forum...THANK YOU! Sea Pines is a bit pricey for us.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:19 AM
DRJ

As an island resident for 29 years, I would tend to agree that Sea Pines has the most of what you're looking for. Try VRBO. You might find something.
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
nlg

We have been to Hilton Head several times and have stayed in Shipyard Plantation and also at the Monarch at Seapines. Both areas are great for biking and if your kids have a car I think you can stay anywhere. The bike paths are wonderful and it is a short bike ride to the beach from anywhere and there are bike racks to park your bikes when you want to look around, shop, go to the beach, etc. When we were there we rented bikes for $18 a week(per bike). Hope you have a great time.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.! I have tried every site known to man and more. I'm very thorough in my research down to a map of the complex. I'm down to 2 units, 217 Turnberry Villa which owner said 1/4 mile to beach...can't be? and 677 Queens Grant. There is one in Sea Pines Lawton Woods, but it's a tad over my price range. Do you think Sea Pines is far better than Palmetto Dunes, teens ages: 20,19,16,16???
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
DRJ

I believe Turmberry is in Sea Pines. And it probably is only 1/4 mile to the beach. I would check with the owner and if it is indeed in Sea Pines it is the best by far.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM

I would say either Sea Pines or Shipyard. Sea Pines has more to do within the plantation, and a shuttle system to take you around. Shipyard is smaller, but it's easier to find accommodations closer to the beach.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Both Turnberry and Queens Grant complexes are in Palmetto Dunes. Queens Grant is the first complex on your left coming into P Dunes. Turnberry is further inside the Plantation. I know it indicates only a 6-10 min walk, but in the heat of summer I suspect it will seem much longer. You can park free at the Beach House where there are washrooms, and a snack bar. Personally if you could get a Turnberry villa on the lagoon I would try it -- they look more spacious and Queens Grant complex always looks a little crowded to me, but that's only my opinion.

Both Palmetto Dunes and Sea Pines are lovely plantations. I love Sea Pines, but this time we went back to P Dunes and I have to admit it was handier for slipping out for a quick meal pickup etc. at Fresh Market Shoppes.
Those who've been there will know the attraction!

Palmetto Dunes map:
http://www.beach-property.com/wp-con...010-PD-Map.pdf
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM

"I have to admit it was handier for slipping out for a quick meal pickup etc. at Fresh Market Shoppes."

That's a good point - Sea Pines is a bit of a pain for entry & exit, both because of the volume of traffic at the gate, plus the size of the place once you get in.
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:05 AM

We have been vacationing at Hilton Head for 15-20 years, and have seen many changes. When we had to keep to a summer schedule, we enjoyed the Bluff Villas in South Beach (Sea Pines). They are older, but spacious and right next door to the Marina and South Beach Village, with shops, restaurants, and water sports. Also a tennis center, bike rentals, and community pool The beach there, however, is on the sound, rather than the ocean, but it's just across the street and usually quiet and peaceful. My problem with the rest of Sea Pines is there is limited public parking for beach access, and what is available is usually quite full, especially in the summer. So you will probably have to walk from wherever you stay to the beach, carrying all your beach stuff, unless you bike or have someone drop you off.
When we became empty nesters, we started going in the off season with our dog, and discovered Turnberry Village in Palmetto Dunes. We have been there five or six times in October, and usually stay for a month. It is a good mile from the beach. The units are spacious, mostly shaded, with large decks. We like the ones on the golf course. We have always found parking in the lot shared with the Disney Beach House, but would guess that also would be more crowded in the summer. This beach area is lifeguarded, with chairs, umbrellas and beach toys for rent. Just a short walk down the beach is the Mariott Hotel, that has a lovely oceanfront open air bar. You can enter it from the beach, and is a great spot for lunch or drinks.
Though the bike paths here are not as nice or extensive as Sea Pines, there is a marvelous lagoon system, and kayaks available for rent. Flat, calm water, with minimal currents, and it's a closed system, so one can't drift out. Might be fun for the teens.
Another thing we always enjoy is the free doubles tennis exhibitions offered on Mondays around 5 or 530. Even if you are not tennis players, it's fun to watch, lasts under an hour, and has door prizes, free beer, wine and lemonade.
Be aware reservations are practically required in any restaurant during the summer unless you want to wait a LONG time!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:05 AM

Good advice in the above post to chrisinauld -- much as we love Sea Pines, particularly the South Beach area, I don't think the beach there is comparable to the main beach plus the traffic at the circle can be intimidating at certain times even in off season and there's no avoiding it. Also I'd forgotten how small the parking lot is by the Monarch. Good point. The closest reasonably priced villas would be Ocean Course, Beach Lagoon or those off Lighthouse Rd, I think and even then it's a fair hike in the heat. You can get a daypass for Sea Pines, scout out other areas, visit Harbourtown, South Beach etc. and see what you think.
We love to beach walk and PDunes is our favourite for that. For your first visit, PDunes provides easy access to the mainland and shopping etc. There isn't a full grocery store or pharmacy within SPines -- closest would be either at the entrance to SPines or the Pope/Coligny area. You're only 5+ min. by car to either the Pig or Fresh Market if you stay in PDunes.
Get a good map and have them circle services at the Welcome Center on your way in --it's a challenge locating everything at first. We're charter members of the U-Turns-R-Us Club!! LOL
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

WOW! You all have such great advice and have really helped me out. I'm in the process of renting in Turnberry, although the owner said it was available and this morning the rental agent said he's wrong. What about Ocean Breeze townhouses? They seem close to beach and Coligny Circle? How's the beach there? or Mooring condos, very close to beach?? I so appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks again, Christina Bert and SusieKay you're the best.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
DRJ

The beach near Coligny is what you're coming here for. The best.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Christianauld-The area around Coligny Circle is fun and lively, with shops, restaurants, hotels, motels, condos and time shares. It has a real "beachy feel". The private gated plantations of Sea Pines, Palmetto Dunes, Shipyard (and a few others that offer limited rentals), are quieter, mainly because they are more residential and one must either be a resident or guest with a gate pass (includes those of us who rent), to enter. I do know that the Mooring condos are located within Palmetto Dunes. I have seen them from the outside while biking, but never been in one. They looked nice, and are very close to the beach-with the exception of the ones directly on the ocean, probably one of the closest. We have never stayed there due to the multiple steps that our aging dog wouldn't be able to handle. Guess you will have to figure out which area works best for you, and select accordingly.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million for all your advice!!! Have a great summer everyone.
Christina