Hilton Head and Savannah help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Hilton Head with my mother in law and my 8 and 9 year old boys. We will be there for 4 nights at the end of February. My mother in law chose the destination, and now I'm trying to find things to do. She will NOT do anything involving water. She can't swim, so she will not set foot on a boat. Dolphin tours or other things like that are a no-go.

We are staying at the Disney Resort (her choice).

Wednesday: Fly into Savannah, grab lunch, drive to resort. Probably just enjoy the resort amenities, specifically the heated pool and water slide.

Thursday: Maybe play miniature golf if any courses are open (mother in law is a fan), go to the Coastal Discovery Museum and sign up for the 3-4pm Civil War tour, walk around Shelter Cove (she loves to shop). My husband will arrive later in the evening for the rest of the trip.

Friday: unsure. Do we do today and Saturday in Savannah? Is there a different town to visit on a day trip?

Saturday: Head to the Georgia RR Museum, lunch and strolling in Savannah, Old Fort Jackson. I'd like Fort Pulaski, but it's just that much further away.

Sunday: fly home

Advice?
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is hard given these "restrictions" you've talked about. Does she have any others we need to know about concerning sightseeing, etc.?

i was going to suggest a visit to the older part of nearby Beaufort if you don't want to do Savannah.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

She's 70, but in relatively good shape. She has no issues walking around town. But hiking is out of the question. She's more shop/eat local organic food/sip tea/some sightseeing. She will also be dressed nicely the entire time. She doesn't own jeans or sneakers.

I enjoy Savannah/Hilton Head/Charleston. But I'm not really sure what to do with her since nature is out. I've got the railroad museum and the Fort for the kids. They love that kind of typical "boy stuff". But they are pretty adaptable.

I wonder if Savannah has any scavenger hunts that you can sign up on line for and you use your phone? I'll have to google.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 12:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have to spend every minute of this vacation in her company?
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 01:02 PM

Drive up to Charleston and see the Hunley exhibit, have a great lunch, go to the aquarium.
It's February--water isn't gonna be in the picture unless it's indoors and/or heated!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Cdnyul...well, most of it. I'll have only one rental car. She won't drive in unfamiliar places. I can maybe leave her at a shopping plaza for a bit. Or the boys and I can rent bikes and ride early while she's getting dressed and doing make up.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Gretchen, the hotel pool is heated. So the kids will take advantage of that after dinner each night. But I realize not Beach weather. That's why I'm not really sure why she chose Hilton Head.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 02:10 PM

Since your MIL appears to have the same character as my mother, my advice is:
- MIL pays 100% of cost, you don't go
- MIL pays part of costs, gets to do what she likes part of the time
-MIL does not share any of the cost, you do what you want.

In Savannah, I enjoy the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum and the Bonaventure Cemetery.

It is a bit of a drive (about 2 hours) from Hilton Head, but I think all should be able to enjoy Francis Beidler Forest near Charleston.

There is nothing wrong with Hilton Head, nice beach, nice accommodations, easy biking.

Bring a couple of kites.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

We are sharing the cost.

I'll check out the places you mentioned. Thank you.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 04:52 PM
nlg

You and your boys will enjoy riding bikes. The bike trails are great in Hilton Head. You might like the Old Town Trolley tour in Savannah-it is a lot of fun and you can get on and off at the stops where you want to spend more time. We enjoy Hilton Head-we mostly walk on the beach and ride bikes. Wexford is a very nice shopping area with good restaurants also.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 06:44 AM

Well, I would NEVER choose HH, but for having a resort with those amenities, it is good for kids. The chances are your weather will be REALLY pleasant that time of year for walking or playing on a beach, biking.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 02:09 PM

Here is my recent trip report for Savannah, Charleston, and Beaufort. It was a couples trip but we did lots of fun/nerdy things that boys would like. The Savannah History Museum with the tour given by the Revolutionary War Guide is a MUST. Fort Pulaski is sooo much more interesting. The Gullah/Geechee exhibit was something your kids would like too. Drop off Grandma to go shopping and you can do the fun stuff.

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...rip-report.cfm
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I just contacted the history museum and the tours are year round. My boys are going to love it! I hadn't come across that in my guide books. So excited!!
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:13 PM

Go down to the third reply to see what I did in Savannah (2 days) and Charleston (3 days) on this thread:

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...-itinerary.cfm
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!! We moved hotels. Staying in Savannah now since she wasn't interested in biking, beach combing, dolphins or anything in HH.

Staying at the new Fairfield Inn. Many hotels have no availability. We are right next to the RR Museum and the Savannah History Museum. Planning to do a 1030 tour at the museum. We will also go to Pulaski and Pin Point. Going to teach the boys lots of history on this trip.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 03:27 AM

Great location!

The Gray restaurant is practically next door.

Take the boys to Savannah's Candy Kitchen and Leopolds Ice Cream.

SCAD has a store on Bull St near Madison Square.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 03:35 AM

A whole lot better than HH!! If you have time do a day trip to Charleston and the Hunley and Aquarium. MIL will love shopping.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 03:38 AM

Your boys might enjoy the Juliette Gordon Low house (Girl Scout museum)

Definitely take them to Vinnie Van Gogos for pizza.

They also might enjoy eating at the Pirates House.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Leopolds is on our list!!

Once I get a plan together, I'll post it here for review.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Love your revised plan!!! You will be so much happier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -