Reload this Page >

hilo or volcano village

Search

hilo or volcano village

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:29 AM
cindy

hilo or volcano village

we will be staying i night and we would like to take a helicopter ride in the am- we would also like to see the lava flow at night. where should we, a family of 5, stay?we would like it to be nice as well-not low budget. Thanks

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Becky

I cannot comment on the stay at Volcano Village, never having done that.
But I LOVE Hilo, and recommend the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. It is on a wonderful Banyon tree lined horseshoe shaped road, these trees are so pretty!
It is in the Entertainment Book for 50% rate. (When are you going? Before Dec 1? Because these 2002 books are $10 + $5 S&H right now! See at entertainment.com) And any city's book will get you the hotel discount.
They have a "family suite", but even 2 connecting rooms should be fine. BE SURE to get the BAY/OCEAN VIEW. It can't be beat. You will look out from your balcony onto Little Coconut Island, accessable on foot by a pedestrian bridge, great picnic spot.
Standard room should be under $90/nt. with the discount.
Immediately next door is a lovely Japanese Garden, very beautiful (free!).
The helicopters leave for volcano/waterfall tours from very close by Hilo Airport. Also, don't miss Rainbow Falls, easy to get to right in Hilo proper! Just ask.
More details on restaurants within walking distance, if you're interested.

Old May 27th, 2002, 03:12 PM
mj

Hi Cindy,
We have stayed in Volcano Village and loved the easy access to day hikes and the Volcano Center. We stayed for four nights in a great little house so can't speak to one night accommodations. I think that a stay up in the village is great if you want to spend some serious time exploring the volcano on foot and also want to sample a little bit of time in a small artsy community- great farmer's market, good food available, lots of artists. However, if I were there for just a night and wanted to see the lava flow at night and do a helicopter ride, I'd stay in Hilo. It is actually a shorter drive from Hilo down to the flow than from Volcano to the flow. Also, some beautiful scenery north of Hilo worth exploring and waterfalls close by.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:29 AM
John R.

Check with Volcano National Park BEFORE you make plans if you really want to see lava flowing. The flows aren't consistant in size or location so call the park for the latest info.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Ross

John did you see any night flows on your trip?

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:53 PM
irvinggirl

Both are very nice, depending on atmosphere and weather. Remember Volcano will be 10-15 deg. colder than Hilo. In Hilo, one of the nicest places to stay is the Shipman House (although I don't know if they take kids). In Volcano try Kilauea Lodge.