Search

Hilo-is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 04:46 AM
Dawn

Hilo-is it safe?

I just booked 3 days in Hilo before checking into the 4 Season on the Big Island. Now I am hearing that Hilo is rainy and the locals are unfriendly (possibly to the point of vandalizing cars). We have rented a house with a tide pool that sounds charming, but now we are having serious doubts about the area. This is our 1st trip to Hawaii, please help!

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 08:18 AM
C.Clark

Hi Dawn, we love Hilo!!!!!! We stayed there for a week and it never rained once, even though people said it rained all the time. And we found the people to be very friendly. We think that Hilo is far more beautiful than Kona, more lush. (probably with all that rain it get's, at other times of the year LOL)
Have fun and don't worry you'll be very
safe and you'll love the people!!!!

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 08:58 AM
ellie

Check out the rainfall at www.worldclimate.com. Looks like lots of rain in Hilo compared to Kona.

The big island is BIG. I would venture out and see the rest of the island. Maybe then the rainfall won't be an issue.

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 11:02 PM
Bob

Dawn, in my opinion, there really isn't any point in staying in Hilo at all -- especially if you're staying at the Four Seasons! And there is more of a local "native" population in Hilo that IS rather hostile to "outsiders." But that's not my main beef. I just don't think it's worth your time staying in Hilo. However, I do HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you at least take the drive from Kona down to Hilo and back because it IS the more lush and beautiful side of the island and is worth the trip, so whatever you do, DON'T miss that particular drive! My advice is to keep the Four Seasons as your home base, then choose day one to drive NORTH of Kona, then EAST to the Waipio lookout and then continue driving down along the "Hilo" coast as I call it, and then back again. Then use day two to drive SOUTH of Kona to Volcanoes National Park, take your time touring there, etc., and then drive back again. After those two trips, then decide WHERE you would like to return to. But in any event I would skip staying in Hilo and just keep the 4 Seasons as your home base. Besides, as beautiful as the drive is down to Hilo, Hilo itself is a big ZERO in my estimation! No, it is not ugly, but it is just not worth staying there!

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 07:25 AM
Ruth

Dawn,

Basically, I agree with Bob about Hilo, except that I would spend at least one or two nights in a B&B at Volcanoes Nat'l. Park, 35 minutes from Hilo. My favorite place is Kilauea Lodge, but you might want Chalet Kilauea, if you want a 5* B&B. I would visit Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens right above Hilo, Akaka Falls and Rainbow Falls, and see the Park, then spend the rest of my time on the Kona side. And, yes, it does rain a lot in Hilo, especially in winter. Good luck! Have a great trip!

Aloha, Ruth

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Barry

Dawn's question and the helpful responses are of particular interest to me. I plan on spending one night in Hilo, after driving from the Kohala Coast and leisurely visiting Puna. After overnighting in Hilo, I am planning to visit the Suisan Fish Auction (7 am) and the Farmers Market in Hilo, before driving back to the sunny Kohala Coast. I think one night in Hilo makes sense for this purpose...what do you think?

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 05:34 AM
Rich

I must say that I am a little surprised at the responses here. I was in Hilo for the day the last time I was on the Big Island, and I found it to be a refreshing break from the touristy Kona side.

Dawn, as for your question, I found Hilo to be as safe as any other city in Hawaii. Just use some common sense, and you'll be fine. As for the locals, again, if you just use some common sense, and treat them nicely and don't act like a boorish tourist, they will in turn treat you nicely.

As for the rain, I'm sure it gets more than the Kona side (which is basically a desert), but I was there in Jan., & it was quite nice.

Ruth: I'll take your word (since you apparently live there) that there are some nice accommodations near Volcanoes N.P., but if they're there, I certainly didn't see them! And where's your mention about touring one of the many interesting Macadamia nut farms?!? I enjoyed the Kona Coast Macadamia Nut Farm in particular!

Basically, it boils down to what you are looking for...if you want the more touristy Hawaii, I'd stick to Kona. If you want the more "native" Hawaii, I'd spend some time in Hilo. But I think your best bet is to do as you are doing, and spend some time in both! Have fun!

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 06:28 AM
Ruth

Rich,

To clarify a couple of things, I wish I lived in Hawaii but, unfortunately, I just visit whenever I can manage it, and that has to be enough!

Secondly, I find Hilo safe and charming, but the accommodations there can't begin to compete with the charming B&B's, lodges & cottages around Volcanoes Park! Go to "alternate-Hawaii.com", and check out some of them. Some are fabulous! I'm not talking about resort hotels - they don't exist there, and you wouldn't want one there!

I didn't mention a macadamia nut farm tour, because that is not my thing, but to each his own adventure. My husband toured one once and enjoyed it, but wouldn't go back. It's just that I'd rather do flowers and water!

It is absolutely lovely around Hilo, but I just wouldn't stay there.

Aloha,

Ruth

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 06:32 AM
Den

I think that we're judging Hilo by its touristic value and not from the eyes of rsidents. I have never been there but I think that we just dislike the fact that people there don't the asses of tourists like in other parts of what we assume to be "paradise, ours for the taking". Maybe Hilo is, what the rest of HAwaii wishes it could be, itself, instead of trying to satisfy our Elvispresley-fied vision of what it should be. Really Bob, Call somewhere a zero only if youre willing to say which hole you come from.

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 06:33 AM
Den

I think that we're judging Hilo by its touristic value and not from the eyes of rsidents. I have never been there but I think that we just dislike the fact that people there don't kiss the asses of tourists like in other parts of what we assume to be "paradise, ours for the taking". Maybe Hilo is, what the rest of HAwaii wishes it could be, itself, instead of trying to satisfy our Elvispresley-fied vision of what it should be. Really Bob, Call somewhere a zero only if youre willing to say which hole you come from.

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 06:37 AM
gp

Aloha Dawn,

Please put your mind at ease, Hilo is fine and very relaxing. I am a resident of the "Big Island"-Kona side. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and recommendations.

However three days is alot of time to spend in Hilo, usually 2 days is plenty.

Bob's ([email protected]) itinerary is the one I usually suggest to my guests, but please keep in mind the island is quite large and you may feel more comfortable at a more casual pace.

Ruth's([email protected])recommendation is a wonderful option as well. You will not be disappointed.

Rich's ([email protected]) observation is very wise and should be observed whenever you are on vacation and not just in Hawaii!!!

Also, The best way to familiarize yourself with Hawaii is to purchase "Hawaii - The Big Island Revealed" by Andrew Doughty & Hariett Friedman. This guidebook can be purchased online from Amazon.com for about $13. & S/H. It's the best!!!

Hope to hear all about your vacation when you return.

Regards,

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 10:43 PM
Bob

Message to Den: Since you claim that you have NEVER been to Hilo, then you certainly don't know from whence you speak! Also, since I am from Laguna Beach, California, I can assure you that this area is definitely NOT a "hole" as you describe it! I strongly suggest that you dust off your Birkenstocks and head straight back to Berkeley where you belong!!

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 04:36 PM
BRAZIL

MANY PEOPLE GO TO HAWAII FOR THE FIRST TIME TO HI RISES AND TOURISTY PLACES,ONLY COMPLAIN BECAUSE IT ISNT THE LITTLE GRASS HUTS AND DON HO- PEARLY SHELLS--- BY ALL MEANS GO TO HILO, ITS DELIGHTFULL, GREAT PEOPLE, REMEMBER YOU ARE A GUEST IN THEIR CITY,SMILE AND BE COURTEOUS, IT WILL BE RETURNED, HILO IS AS NEAR AS YOU WILL GET TO THE OLD HAWAII ! ENJOY !!