Reload this Page >

Hilo Hattie stores - uniquely Hawaiian?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:23 PM
abc

Are the items they sell in Hilo Hattie really representative of the islands? They opened one here on the West Coast and I went around the store thinking, "if this is Hawaii, then it's just a big tourist trap."

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:54 PM
lcuy

Hilo Hatties is a uniquely Hawaiian tourist trap. Lots of visitors love the place, but I think it is because their service is friendly, they offer a wide selection of something that many people want, and lots of tour busses stop there. Personally, I would never think of taking a visitor there, as prices aren't that cheap, and styles are, well,designed for the couples that want his and hers matching outfits. There are many other places that sell real Hawaiian crafts, art, and clothing. Nohea Gallery, Native Books & Beautiful Things, the Bishop Museum gift store, the Mission Houses gift store, and others spring to mind immediately.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Joanne

lcuy, your first sentence made me LOL, it's so completely accurate!

We were taken to Hattie's while visiting cousins who apparently feel that no tourist visit to Honolulu is complete without such a visit. The highlight for us actually was the picture-window-sized hole between the store and the factory. I have never seen an actual sweatshop in action before!

To answer abc two different ways, since the question was ambiguous: Yes, Hilo Hattie's products are typical of the souvenirs that tourists bring home from the islands, they're one of the biggest purveyors. However, there's a good chance that nobody who's actually LIVING in Hawaii has a single HH product in their home.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Sarah

ditto lcuy. I did stop in at Hilo Hatties (sp) thinking my sister and I would find something that she would think was fun. Her first trip to Hawaii. We left with a case of Macadamian nuts and 30 key chains on a ring (for child's school mate). She said to me there is nothing to buy in Hawaii using Hatties as a measure.

I think I would stop into Hilo hatties if I was in Alamoana already but by no means make this a destination on it's own. Lcuy suggestions will take you to the places that offer quality gifts and if Hilo Hattie is your taste I would hit the flea market at the stadium on Saturday much cheaper and the same junk. I would also go to Daie (Japanese Walmart type store) much more interesting and also probably cheaper. Hilo Hattie’s just seems to have a wider selection of what you find in the ubiquitous ABC stores. So there is not much reason to seek it out.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Al

Yes, Hilo Hatties is real tacky, but the best part about visiting is the great bus ride there. It's free, and it's a great way to see the area.