Search

Hiking on BI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking on BI

I will be visiting the BI for the first time in March. I would like to do some hiking in either the Waipi'o Valley or in the Pololu Valley and continuing into Honokane Nui. Must one be an experienced hiker to take on these trails?

Waipi'o seems to get the most attention in all the literature I've read.

I would probably have 4-5 hours to devote to this hike and would probably be going on my own since my wife dosesn't care much for hiking. Does one of these two hikes sound better than the other or maybe some other stunning location would be better still?

v
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:24 PM

i don't advise the hike to hiilawe falls. you will be trespassing on private property which is adjacent to hiilawe stream and the only way to get there. that property belongs to my family. although, we cannot stop everyone, i use these travel forums to discourage breaking the law. i hope other posters here will agree with me.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

You probably know that the author of "The Big Island revealed" claims that there is a route to Hilawe Falls that does not go over private property. However, I would rather avoid any encounters with anyone who feels I am trespassing. Do you know if the hikes through Waipi'o and Pololu onto Honokane are generally safe? Which of these hikes has a bigger "wow" factor?
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Have you looked at this website?

http://www.hawaiitrails.org/island.asp?island=Hawaii

Carole
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM

don't believe everything you read. unless the author is talking about the "swimming" route, like i said, its private property. you can still get permission.

i've been on the z a few times to the next valley with my brother and cousin in my twenties, it was tough. bring a lot of deet, you also have to wade through at some places. once there, there was a few sunbathers. i haven't tried the other side where you're talking about but i know locals who have. i only know waipio side. good luck.