Search

hiking in Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
tricia

hiking in Yosemite

My husband and I are planning 3 nights camping in Yosemite Valley and 2 nights at Tuolmne Meadows. Can anyone suggest some dayhikes from either place?

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:35 AM
xxx

Try Yosemite's home page at NPS or the GORP site, Great Outdoor Recreation Pages, for some hike descriptions.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:41 AM
Liz

Here's a link to a site with pictures from the Vernal Falls hike, which was our favorite. I suggest you get a map and book with good descriptions and advice on difficulty for various hikes.
http://www.cyberhikes.com/HYNP01MP.HTM

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:23 AM
Hiker

I would suggest stopping at the Visitor's Center in the Valley on your first day there. You can grab a map (it's not the best but it works for basic needs) and ask the staff members about different hikes and trails the park offers in the areas you are visiting. I've found them to be very good at suggesting hikes, best way to get there, etc.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:59 PM
HalfDome

Tricia: Yosemite is one of my favorite places on earth. Definitely get off the valley floor. Depending on what time of year you are going the floor can be like L.A. at rush hour, but 15 minutes down a trail an you might find yourself all alone. Depending on how fit and adventureous you are, the absolute best hike is the one to the top of Half Dome. It can be done in a day, but it is a very long full day. The effort is worth it and the view from the top is indescribable (sp). I think it is about a 12-13 mile round trip. Very strenuous in parts because you go from the floor to the top of the Dome and the last 500 feet or so are up the cables that are strung down the side of the rock. However, while you do not have to have technical expertise to do i, it is not for the feint hearted because in spots its a 2000 foot drop straight down. But to my knowledge, no one has ever fallen, at lease unintentionally. Another hike would be the Panorama Trail. It starts at Glacier Point and goes down to the valley floor. You can catch the bus in the morning at Curry Village (make a reservation) which takes you to Glacier Point and drops you off. Then you just hike down. We took our time and it was about 5-6 hours, however, you pass Illouette (sp) Falls, Nevada Falls and Vernal Falls (take the mist trail route at Vernal Falls). Top of Nevada Falls is spectacular place to have lunch. Another hike is the Pohona Trail. It also starts at Glacier Point and follows along the rim back toward the tunnel entrance to Yosemite. It crosses over the head of Bridleveil Falls. It was on this trail that we encountered a black bear non-chalantly sitting right in the middle of the trail snacking on something (it was not another hiker). He paid us no mind, ignored us completely and left when he finished his snack. He just ambled back off into the woods. Yosemite is wonderful, I can't say enough about it. You will absolutely love it.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:03 PM
kam

Advice from a very timid and non athletic hiker......The hike down from Glacier Point is lovely. Half Dome requires more moxie than I have! El Capitan is the huge mountain that you see in photos, but requires real serious expertise in hiking. But, the people in the info center in the valley are invaluable in being able to guide you to what is appropriate for you. Have a great trip.