Reload this Page >

Here's the plan for our weekend in Texas - please comment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM
dmlove

We fly into San Antonio late afternoon tomorrow. We will have a car. We are staying at the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk. We have a reservation for tomorrow night at Boudro's. I assume we'll spend a couple of hours walking around the Riverwalk before dinner -- anyplace in particular we should stop in for a drink?

Saturday, we're going to drive up to Austin to have an early dinner with our nephew and his wife (at The Salt Like in Driftwood). I assume we should stop along the way, but where besides Gruene? We will go into downtown Austin -- at least take a peek at the 6th Street and Congress area (unless you all tell me to go someplace else or in addition), and then a few innings of the Stanford v UT baseball game (we're Stanford fans - just fortuitous that they're playing in Austin this weekend).

Sunday and Monday we'll be in San Antonio and will do all the other things we've read about here - again, we are two mid-50s adults, so SeaWorld isn't high on our list....but we'd like to know the other must-dos for adults traveling without kids.

Thanks much.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Austin, you might want to check out the Second Street area (near Colorado). Sixth Street is fine just to look but it's basically like a small Bourbon Street. Don't miss the Driskill Hotel on Sixth! Also, check out the Capitol Building. Walking on South Congress to check out the funky stores is fun too.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:42 AM
dmlove

Ah yes, the capitol building -- I had heard it's a must see (taller than the US capitol, among other things?)

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM

dm, Boudro's is known for their prickly pear margaritas - good stuff to go with the tableside guacamole. Are you going to check out the Alamo?

Are the bats in season yet in Austin? If so, it's fun to watch them fly out from under the Congress Ave. Bridge. I think it usually begins in March. We also like to go to The Oasis for great views of Lake Travis; grab a margarita and watch the sunset. Hula Hut is fun too.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Hi dmlove,

For Austin- We should have some really nice weather this weekend so it might be a nice time to take advantage of some outdoor things. Don't miss the state capitol, it is quite beautiful. Very close by is Zilker Park. The trails alongside Lady Bird Lake(Town Lake) are very nice to walk. There is an outdoor sculpture garden that I absolutely love called Umlauf Gardens. I find it to be very relaxing and I really enjoy the sculptures. It should be open in the afternoon. Another spot that you might try is Zilker Botanical Gardens, I think that is the right name. It is also a nice place to stroll and the blooming season is beginning so you might see some pretty flowers.

For SAn Antonio- You can take one of the trolley rides which I believe is close to the Ripley's museum and go to the King William District. Old historic homes that are just beautiful. You can tour Steves Homestead or stop by the Guenther HOuse( for lunch or breakfast.) I went to the King William District for the first time about 2 years ago, and I found it refresing after being on the oh so touristy Riverwalk.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM
dmlove

Thanks all, this is perfect. (And we love looking at historic houses, so the King William District would be right up our alley).

I'm having table-side guac at Boudro's even if my DH doesn't like guacamole. I skipped it at Adobo in Chicago for that reason and still regret it!

Looking forward to the trip and the great weather (although I'm leaving equally great weather here in SF).

Thanks all.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM

dm, it's too bad you'll miss Houston; the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo starts this week - it's quite the spectacle and fun for non-Texans to see. I hope you have a wonderful time and hope the weather stays nice for you.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Definitely visit the Capitol; the LBJ Library is also very nice. In San Antonio, recommend driving the Mission Trail--5 missions, all so beautiful, ending at The Alamo.
Our favorite restaurant is La Fogata, not downtown but worth the drive. Their green (verde) enchiladas are so good as is the guacamole made tableside. And, trip to SA not complete without a stop at Mi Tierra, restaurant and bakery in the market area downtown. Enjoy your visit!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Another vote for the Capitol in Austin, it's beautiful and contains interesting history and insight.

For drinks downtown on the Riverwalk, if you like jazz, I would go to The Landing located just outside the Hyatt--we've been there during weekend days and the music has been fantastic....and it's located just a hop, skip and a jump from Boudro's. Unfortunately, I can't get their link to work but you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

Boudro's was reviewed, favorably, once again, in the food section of the local paper yesterday. Their "misses" were desserts so buyer be aware. Also, they complained of noise, something I don't associate with that restaurant.

Winter returned today! Temps dropped into the 40's but I believe should rebound by tomorrow. Here's a link to the local forecast which I find to be more accurate than The Weather Channel,

http://www.ksat.com/weather/index.html

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM

The Landing link is just not working....

Here's a recent review of The Landing from the travel section of the NY Times...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/22qzsb
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM

dmlove,

have you heard of fredericksburg? it's a beautiful area and about a 2 hour drive north of austin. if you have an extra day to spare, it should be lovely up there.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Fredericksburg is due West of Austin . .

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Fredericksburg+TX/
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM

sorry. west then.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM

The Austin Rodeo is going on this weekend as well. Maybe not as good as the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, but good times to be had and excellent weather predicted this weekend (upper 60s to low 70s).
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM

I hope the weather turns around for you; we got a nasty cold front last night with tons of rain and cold temps. Houston is having their Azalea Trail which is wonderful this weekend, so I'm hoping the predictions for good weather are true.