Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Here is the plan, my wife and I are going to New York November 2-10. We will be staying at the Pennsylvania Hotel in mid-town. One day will be devoted to the Met, one day for shopping and strolling. While there we want to see Ellis Island, statue o

Search

Here is the plan, my wife and I are going to New York November 2-10. We will be staying at the Pennsylvania Hotel in mid-town. One day will be devoted to the Met, one day for shopping and strolling. While there we want to see Ellis Island, statue o

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Larry

Thanks for your help

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Loquacious

....please take a step back and a big breath in, Larry....before you pass out.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:15 AM
xxx

Run, do not walk, to your nearest telephone and call the Pennsylvania Hotel and CANCEL your reservation. This place consistently gets horrible reviews.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:16 AM
Sue

Do not stay at the Pennsylvania. One full day is a lot at the Met even though there is so much to see. It can really put you on overload.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
me

While at the Met, find time for Central Park. Also you should explore some neighborhoods, particularly the village area and soho. There are many interesting shops, restaurants, galleries, etc. Also Chinatown and Little Italy are worth seeing once.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Me

Thank you for posting such an informative title Larry. Don't forget the outer boroughs (e.g., Bronx Zoo, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens).

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:59 AM
Ellen

Do not stay at the Pennsylvania. Awful. Get tickets for some of the wonderful Broadway & off Broadway shows, and a concert,ballet, or opera at Lincoln Center. Out of the way, less frequented sites might be: The Tenement Museum, The Morgan Library, Bronx Zoo, Brooklyn Heights.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:27 AM
Sarah

I always take a full day at the met and I have lived in NYC for about 15 years, not an art buff but love walking around exploring revisiting. I can't imagine coming to NYC and not giving it a day. You can break for lunch in the cafeteria, wonder outside in the park if you get a warm day. Get to Ellis Island ticket counters as early as possible lines cue up long early.

Out of the way stuff to do pick up a time out. Go to citysearch.com and see what is on for that week. 92nd street Y sometimes has great lectures just off the top of my head.

I would say out of the way sites for most tourist that frequent this board would be Soho, Fairways, Zabars (Upper West side 75th street (you can stroll up when you get out of a Lincoln center production. I just passed by last night and Fairways was open at 9:30.pm. I think they may be open 24 hours. You would stop here if you want to take home hard to find European food items like cheese,chocolates, cookies and a lot of other stuff. ABC Carpet on 18th Street & Broadway over the top expensive but soup to nuts on decorating.

I like the Asia Society around 72nd and Park small and great look at Asian American Artist with some foreign exhibits.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:32 PM
ttt

TTT for Larry!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:41 PM
Larry

Thanks to everyone for their help i want to apologize for the length of my title i didn't realize what I was doing until i saw it posted later on as you can tell this is my first time on the forum. i didn't know the pennsylvannia was so bad, we had some friends stay there for a weekend a couple of years ago and while they said it wasn't the nicest hotel in the city the price was cheap and the location was good to get around to a lot of different places. i'll see what other options are out there if there are any other ideas please let us know of things to do everything is sounding really good so far. Bye

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:08 PM
TryThis

You will have probably have a hard time switching rooms for the first night or 2 - the NYC Marathon is November 3rd. I would definitely try to see some of it.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
xxx

I have to agree - get yourselves out the Pennsylvania Hotel - it couldn't be worse. Check for some hotel rates on hotelkingdom.com and quickbook.com. "Try This" is right, it might be tough to find a new place for those first two nights, but after that you should be all set.

The immigration museum at Ellis Island is excellent, plan to get there early so you won't be rushed. I also spend a full day at the Met - take one of the free "highlight" tours and then go back to check out the things that you want to spend more time at. When you think you're on "over load" stop and have something to eat at the cafe and then continue on.

The Frick museum is also interesting, and add Madison Ave to your shopping tour - there are some interesting boutiques starting around the 50s and on up. Take time to see the Village and SoHo, and certainly a few shows! Also, checkout the wax museum - it is really done well and it's fun!

Pick up an "Eyewitness Guide" to New York, it's the only guide book you'll need and there are photos. maps, walking tours, admission times for museums, etc. Have a wonderful time, I envy you being able to be in NYC for 8 days.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:06 PM
former nyc resident

I recommend you try the Waldorf Astoria. They are part of the Hilton chain and you can get some surprisingly good deals. The marathon is a wonderful event to watch, as the runner arrive back in Central Park. Other tips:
1. Go for a sunset drink at the top of the PENINSULA hotel on 5th avenue, great views, outdoor terrace. Hope you get a full moon.
2. Go for a drink at the Four Seasons, best bar in NYC. Get there EARLY.
3. Go for weekend brunch at the Boathouse Cafe in Central Park.
4. For amazing beef and the best wine list in NYC, try Smith and Wollensky's.
5. For sushi try Japonica in the Village but there EARLY
6. Take pix from roof of the Met
7. If your wife wants to do power clothes shopping book a free personal shopping appointment at Saks, try Trish Heyman. You get the best, the sales, everything in record time. She can preshop for anything and have the stuff ready for you to try on.
8. Walk up the full length of Madison Avenue shopping and have dinner at La Goulue.
9. Eat lots of bagel sandwiches and street hot dogs, both terrific and cheap for lunch.
10. From 6PM on, it is HARD to get a taxi in midtown. Plan accordingly or stay at the Waldorf!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:08 PM
ahhh!

Dude, learn how to type a SUBJECT LINE and then put your text in the message box!!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:09 PM
xxx

former nyc resident: Your ideas are wonderful - but will you pay their bill?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:11 PM
do you like ghosts

Ellis Island is haunted. You can absolutely feel the sturm und drang that the people went through. I advise that you go late afternoon when it is empty and the shadows are lengthening. It is the most ghostly time. I had no idea until I went there myself. This is perfectly true and you will remember forever. I agree with the other poster, do not go when it is crowded. Let the people's voice speak to you. They will, they really will. The stories you will learn there are amazing, about rich NYC women making the women over who came from Eastern Europe so that their husbands, who usually came first, would accept them. Many people got there, turned around and went back. Families with sick members were divided, the ailing were sent back. Many people stayed there 8 months or longer, many babies were born there. Feel it.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:30 PM
ganja

Where do you buy your weed, 'do you like ghosts'?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:35 PM
former nyc resident

Other poster makes a good point about expenses in NYC. Whatever you think the absolute MAXIMUM is that anything could POSSIBLY cost, double it. You cannot walk around the block in NYC without dropping $80 to $100 bucks. Plan accordingly. Obviously you will want to do Xmas shopping. If you live outside NY state and IF you shop at stores that do not have branches in your state, you can have stuff mailed home and avoid the NYC sales tax which is stiff. As stated, grab a hot dog for lunch, splurge on cocktails and dinners. Dining is a key part of the experience, no doubt. Buy half-price theatre tickets. Take the godawful subway and busses or better, walk, except in the rain. Enjoy Central Park walks and runs. However don't skimp on your hotel or it will spoil things a bit. You gotta plug into the glamour to enjoy the full experience. That is New York.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:40 PM
do you like ghosts

Dear Ganja Brain,
I will make you a bet. You provide me with your real email, I will provide you with mine. You go to Ellis Island under the conditions that I have suggested and if you feel nothing as I have described it, I will send you a check for $50. It is impossible not to feel what I felt. Sort of like looking up at the Lincoln Monument for the first time. You feel Abe's spirit, his soul. Sort of like visiting the Vietnam Wall. You feel the sense of loss. Sort of like visiting Gettysburg, you feel what happened there. Have you ever visited Dachau, you would know what I mean. Ellis Island is one of those places.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:36 AM
ronnie

Larry, as former NYC resident so pointedly illuminates it is indeed an expensive thing to fully enjoy NYC, but then isn't vacationing and enjoyment about the experience? Scrimp when you can and splurge on the ambiance.
A little side note, as a Long Island resident, the overload of Manhattan can be overwhelming. Even when visiting Paris, a drive in the countryside puts the city into a different light. Having said this, financially possible, try either a car rental or Hampton Jitney ride(bus) out to either the Montauk or Orient. Indulge in the wine tasting, views of the vast beaches and pastoral landscapes that make New York state so diversified. Even a trip on the LIRR(aproximately $15.00 each) to a small B&B for an overnighter will break up an overload of cosmopolitan atmosphere. At Montauk I'd reccommend the Manor, a historical building with beautiful ocean views and in Greenport there is the new Shady Lady Inn. You'll be surprised what a difference 60 miles makes.
Enjoy your trip....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -