Help with Yellowstone & GTNP plan

Old May 9th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Yellowstone & GTNP plan

Hello!

I am taking my 17 & 19 year old sons to Yellowstone May 29-June 5. We are flying from Nashville, TN to SLC, Utah and renting a car. I have made the following reservations based on what was available and on the advice of the representative who booked it. We have not been to Yellowstone before and I'm feeling a little nervous about it all because I have not idea what it will be like or how these reservations will work out. Any input is appreciated!

Tuesday, May 29: Arrive in SLC at 9:45 am - do not have lodging for this night because I wasn't sure if we would stay in SLC a little bit or how long it would take us, etc.. but thinking now I should have a place near Yellowstone..
Wednesday May 30: Old Faithful Snow Lodge -frontier cabin
Thursday, May 31: Old Faithful Lodge
Friday, June 1: Lake Yellowstone Hotel -frontier cabin
Saturday: June 2: Mammoth Springs cabins
Sunday & Monday - GTNP and drive back to SLC
Tuesday, June 5: depart SLC at 10 am

Questions: I am thinking of possibly canceling the night at Mammoth Springs and leaving Yellowstone to drive to GTNP on June 2 and stay at Jackson Lake Lodge for 2 nights so we can go to Jackson hole rodeo? or horseback riding or rafting?
Or should we drive to Jackson Hole and GTNP the first night and stay there then?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Last edited by 3boymom; May 9th, 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 9th, 2018, 05:26 PM

My son and I spent a week in Yellowstone and 3 nights near GTNP last September. I would keep your Yellowstone reservations--so much to see. I think the balance of days is good.
Old May 9th, 2018, 07:26 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Of all the areas you mention that you have reservations, the natural attractions around Mammoth were the most memorable for me. If you can adjust some other way and keep that night, I'd suggest that you do.

Though no photos can quite convey the beauty & otherworldliness of the landscape, I gave it a try here:
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/a-ye...mmoth-terraces

And the village:
Yellowstone HQ, Mammoth Hot Springs | TravelGumbo
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I just added a night on Monday 29th at Canyon Lodge.

Is it best to go horseback riding, white water rafting in Jackson Hole area or GTNP ?
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:25 AM

I think driving from SLC to Canyon Lodge on your first jetlagged day is problematic.

We flew from Phila. to Jackson, and this wss my only trip to the area, so I don't have an alternative suggestion, but somebody else probably will.

Jackson Hole and GTNP are basically the same place.

​​​
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:34 AM

Since you arrive in Salt Lake City before noon, you could make it to your lodging before dark. Do be aware that the animals on the roads will make driving in the park very slow.

You also need to be aware of the possibility of snow at that time of year. We had a brief flurry on June 24 when we went.
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:40 AM

We did a float trip in Grand Tetons along the Snake River with Barker Ewing Float Trips and it was spectacular. Saw at least 6 bald eagles. Always wanted to do a horseback trail ride, but we've never had the chance.
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for more input!

I have more questions:

From SLC airport, which entrance to Yellowstone is closest?

Should we go to Jackson Hole, Tetons first part of trip or on the way back to SLC?
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:19 AM

From SLC airport to West Yellowstone is about 5 hours, and we have found that to be the best route. From there, you will enter the park and head up to Canyon. In the park itself, travel will be much slower thanks to gawking at the scenery, animals jamming up the road, people stopping to see them, etc. - maybe give it 2 hours to get to Canyon. Leave the airport right away, stop in the town of West Yellowstone for a late lunch, and then you will be in fine shape. For what it's worth, our flights typically don't arrive until noon or so from where we live, and we always drive straight to Yellowstone.
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:26 AM

You have your reservations in YNP, so entering through West Yellowstone and doing GTNP at the end of the trip and heading back to SLC through Jackson makes the most sense.
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:29 AM

Yes, agreed. The route back from Jackson down to SLC can be quite scenic. There are a couple of possible routes going that way - emalloy, do you have any preferences?
Old May 10th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Great! thank you! Now, I am going to see when we can go horseback riding or white water rafting!

Appreciate the help and affirmations that the reservations made will work..
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:14 AM

You might be well aware, but pack with the expectation for chillier temps than Nashville. Mt. Washburn should still have snow, and I would also expect patches of snow here and there in general. Drink lots of water - you are at significant altitude. It's a glorious place, enjoy!
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:16 AM

From Jackson back to SLC, going through Logan Canyon is beautiful https://goo.gl/maps/jMqrvzHFjDm
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:30 AM

We drove straight away from SLC to Yellowstone, that was the reason for our visit! You shouldn't have a problem with jetlag with just an hour time difference. We stayed in West Yellowstone our first night, which we really enjoyed - they have a Grizzly Bear Rehab Center and a Zip Line activity center our kids enjoyed. I think it would be convenient to you staying your next night at snow lodge as well.
Old May 12th, 2018, 07:43 PM

You will be fine driving from SLC to West Yellowstone. Stop off in Idaho Falls to see the Museum of Eastern Idaho--they often have really cool traveling exhibits and this stop breaks up the drive. I wouldn't go all the way into the park that day. You could also stop off at Herriman State Park--really cool place along the Henrys Fork--you can see lots of birds. Be prepared for snow at the end of May/start of June. It certainly will not be very warm. It is a good time to see the park--its just cold. And trails can be really muddy. Bring your rain gear.

I don't know about whitewater rafting then. The water levels could be dangerously high. I have gone in the middle of June and it was rip-roaring. Barker Ewing is the group I always go with--have floated the Snake south of Jackson many times over the span of 30 years.

Monday night when you get back to SLC, don't stay at the airport. It's only a 15 minute drive from downtown to the airport. There is nothing near the airport hotels. You are better off staying downtown where you can have a decent dinner.