help with tipping in vegas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there again! We are going to renew our wedding vows in Vegas in a few days and as a bit of fun, are doing it "Elvis style"!! What a hoot! Tipping in Australia wehere we are from is not as much a custom for us as it is in USA so I was surprised to be advised by a compnay that the suggested minimum tipping was $40 each for a limo driver, photographer and Elvis..each not combined. If the entire package is $300 , the $40 each sounds steep to me. Can anyone please help and give suggestions please as we don't want to offend but also don't want to be ripped off. Thanks very much locals!!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:12 AM

I've never done a package deal like this, but $40 each sounds steep to me too. I doubt they usually get tipped that much on a $300 package. Generally, in the US we tip 15 - 20%. I'd probably do something more along the lines of $10 for the limo driver and $40 for Elvis. I don't think I've ever tipped a photographer.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Tip 15% to 20% of the total cost of the package - so in this case $45 to $60 divided equally among the three people. Since this is a "special event" for you I'd be on the generous side and give each person $20 and be done with it. At the end of the ceremony thank each member of the staff individually and descretely give them each their respective tips - I like to do it by putting the money in the palm of my hand while shaking the other person's hand. If by chance the reciprient makes an untoward remak simply ignore them - remember there is no legal requirement for you to tip.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Now that I think about it I agree with BarbaraS - the photographer will probably do nothing more than snap one or two pictures - certainly nothing that requires a tip. If on the other hand the photographer follows you around and takes plenty of candid shots (like a photographer at a wedding reception) then by all means give him/her a portion of the "tip pool". Otherwise use your best judgement to divide the total tip based on how much each person contributes to the event based on more for the Elvis and less for the limo driver.

There's one other tact I sometimes use when there are several people involved in the event - in this case I simply give the entire tip to the person who appears to be in charge but I do it in full view of the other people and say something out loud like "Thanks, here's a tip I'd like you to share with the others" - they will work it out themselves.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your help! usa HERE WE COME!