Help with Sarasota / St Petersburg areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, we are planning a week in Florida in January and would really appreciate help with deciding on an area to stay in. We've been to Florida a few times before and the Sarasota or St Petersburg areas sound good. Can anyone describe them for me?

We are in our late 40's and love cafes for coffee and people watching, secondhand bookshops, cheaper stores, a choice of cafes/restaurants - we prefer casual places. We are after an apartment, a beach view would be nice but we probably wouldn't spend any real time on the beach. It's important to have some places to eat within walking distance. Not into nightlife or bars. We plan to fly into Orlando and are likely to be out and about exploring the area with the car most days.

Any particular area that would suit us?

Thanks, Kay
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I lived in Sarasota for 22 years. Much nicer than St Pete. Wonderful restaurants and all kinds of shopping from the Women's Exchange consignment shop (fabulous for anything) to upscale. Siesta Beach has baby powder sand. Great city; wish I was there!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Vicky. I've been reading a lot about Siesta Key. What would you say the main differences are between Sarasota and Siesta Key? Would staying in Sarasota be just like staying in a small city? Siesta Key sounds nice, just worried it's all about the beach with not much else.
Kay
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM

Another option is Venice, which is about 1/2 hour south of Sarasota is a cute, quiet, small town. Great hotel across from the beach called Inn at the Beach Resort. From the beach to the shops is about 3/4 mile walk. There are restaurants within walking distance. The coffee/people watching is more like a mile walk but would be lovely in January.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM

What about Anna Maria Island, north of Sarasota? It has the type of casual vibe you are describing.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'll look into these two places as well. It's hard to narrow it down when you've never been there but trying to look at apartments in each area is overwhelming, so I definitely need to pick one area to look at.

Any other help appreciated.
Kay
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
LN

Hi

I'd vote for staying in Sarasota although I live on Longboat Key. If you're coming for a week in January you'll find the city is bustling with sidewalk cafes, great theatre, and shops like Women's Exchange and Designing Women (great shops). You can also head over to St Armands Circle for some high end shopping and great restaurants. As for beaches we have Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island and Siesta Key. Take your choice by the day as they each have talcum powder beaches and public access.

Good luck and enjoy yourselves
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM

Hi Kay,

For all the reasons cited, I agree with LN that you would most likely enjoy staying in downtown Sarasota or within walking distance; there's even a great farmers' market on Saturday mornings downtown. Having said this, however, Siesta Key isn't just about the beach! Siesta Key Village has a number of interesting restaurants, shops, etc., and will also be bustling during January. A well-located apartment on Siesta Key could provide (walking) access to both Siesta Beach and the Village (which are about a mile apart).

If you rent an apartment on Siesta Key that requires you to drive to Siesta Beach, then you may as well stay in downtown Sarasota and drive to one of the beaches nearby (including Siesta, Lido, Longboat, etc.).

Bottom line: I suggest either an apartment in downtown Sarasota or one on Siesta Key within walking distance of both Siesta Beach and Village.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. I am leaning towards the idea from Beaucoup (above) and trying to find a place within walking distance to Siesta Key Village and the beach. Of course, that isn't the cheapest area, as I've found. But I'm still looking (eyes hanging out at the moment from too much time today researching properties!) and wanted to say thanks for the input.

Just a thought, are there any public swimming pools along that stretch of coast? I've found a couple of apartments without a pool but it might not be swimming weather in January anyway.

Kay
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
LN

You can't go wrong staying at any of these places. They're all really great. Don't forget to visit St Armands Circle.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Kay.

The only public swimming pool that I know of is near South Lido Key (not far from St. Armands Circle). The County is considering closing this, however, because of "budgetary constraints". The apartments' pools likely will be heated in January; the outdoor weather may be fine for swimming in a heated pool (or it may not be)!
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Check out St Armands Circle on Lido Key.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, we do like shopping in America on holidays - there are usually some good bargains - so will check out all the main shopping areas. We had such a hassle trying to book a cottage or villa on Siesta Key, via VRBO, that we gave up. We are staying at Hotel Ranola in Sarasota which should be good. It's within walking distance of shops and restaurants which is what we wanted. No pool but January is probably not warm enough for swimming, and there is a public pool on Lido Key if we really want to swim. And the sea of course.

The main thing we are looking forward to is some sunshine as we have been living in Britain for the past few years and find the winters too long, too cold and very dreary. Not long now till Florida!

Kay
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting choice -- would like to hear how it works out.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Fra-Diavolo, your comment makes me slightly nervous. Have we made a mistake? The hotel gets excellent reviews. Is there something we should know?

Kay
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oops, sorry, I guess it could be read that way. No, I was just curious. Most people go to Sarasota for the beaches, I think, so choosing the city struck me as unusual. Despite visiting my parents in Sarasota for over twenty years, I don't know much about "downtown." I've only gone there for a few movies or to walk the marina.

I always associate the most concentrated shopping and restaurants with St Armands Circle on Lido key, though of course you will find both everywhere. And there are a few areas -- the one near the Burns Court Cinema and around Morton's on Osprey, which have a neighborhood feel.

I first visited Sarasota, like you, during January, after a few years in London. The light was amazing!
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I feel better now. I wondered if we accidentally booked in the seedy redlight district. We chose Florida because it's a lot warmer and sunny than cold old London in January and as we're Australians, we crave sunshine during the long winter. We've visited Florida a few times so wanted a different area and chose Sarasota. We plan to do some exploring in the car, up and down the coast. We aren't really beach people, we'll walk along the beach for half an hour and enjoy the seaviews but would never sit on the beach all day - way too boring.

Kay
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Hi Kay F
Just spotted your thread this morning- we have stayed in the Laurel Park area of downtown Sarasota, for a month, the past three uears. The Hotel Ranola is on a small side street, off of Ringling Blvd, just one block from Main Street. I have been inside, it is a small boutique hotel, very clean, and should be quite quiet, as that (the easterly side of Main Street and Ringling)is not the "bustling" part of Main, with it's shops, restaurants et al. The further end of Main, there is a wonderful coffee Shop, on your way to walk the bayfront and it's park, with art and scultpure exhibits. Every Thursday ( I believe) is the "art walk" downtown, and Main and Palm are fun to stroll, to catch a performance of a dancer or pianist, in one of the many galleries. Burns court has an interesting theatre, which shows foreign films,and also has a craft and art show, as well as interesting boutiques to wander through.The farmer's market on Saturday is much fun, quite large,and some streets are closed to traffic. It has had a cfaft portion nearer the library- and do take a gander inside that building, it is beautiful.
I might suggest you google Sarasota, for the visitors center will e-mail you what is happening when you are there. Great live theatre, the Van Wetzel for traveling performers/shows, Ringling Museum and Mansion to tour (well worth it, and one night during the week they will have cocktails on the terrace of Ca'de Zan(the mansion)- and Marie Selby Gardens, a beautiful place to visit, with concerts on Sunday.
You will enjoy it, I'm sure, and if you need any more info, don't hestitate to give a shout.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

This is great info. Thanks capecodshanty. We only have a week which I think will fly by very quickly. I'll make a note of the things you have mentioned. The guided art walk and interesting coffee shop are just the sorts of things we like. It sounds like there is a ton of things to do, I love magnificent mansions / stately homes and am looking forward to seeing the Ringling mansion and museum.

Just hoping we have sunny weather and no rain. Have been checking the forecast lately and there has been lots of rain. If we can get out of wearing heavy coats, scarves and gloves we will be happy though.

Kay
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM

There is a small barrier island off Nokomis (just north of Venice) called Casey Key. There are a number of small, funky mom and pop motels here that are right on the beach. We love to bike up and down Casey Key and oggle the mansions (Steven King is a resident). This area has a very different feel from the high rise rows of condos that line Long Boat Key. Be sure to enjoy the art installations along the park on Sarasota Bay. First class theatre, opera, and the Ringling Museum make the Sarasota area desirable to culture lovers. There are lots of great ethnic and seafood restaurants and be sure to take a boat ride to enjoy the gorgeous bay views. The Selby Gardens is famous for orchids, but the estate gardens are gorgeous as well. If you are interested in architecture there are a lot of noteworthy homes and public buildings in Sarasota including the public library and City Hall. The area has lots of beaches, parks, and public golf courses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -