help with San Diego trip solo traveler no car in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Everyone.... I'm trying to help my son plan an 18 day stay in the San Diego Area. Due to a major repair on his apartment he needs to find a place or two to hunker down. He's hoping to work ( likes working in coffee shops with wifi of course), rent a bike and have a mix of work and relax. He would love to be in an area with outdoor restaurants and coffee shops nearby. He doesn't want to move more than once. As of now, he has a reservation at the Tower23 in Pacific Beach that we can cancel if he changes his mind. It would be nice if one of the 2 stays had laundry facilities. The tower23 doesnt. Was wondering if La Jolla, Del Mar or Carlsbad might fit the bill or maybe staying in Pacific Beach at an airbnb. As for the rate, he is actually looking for something high end and is not a big resort type.
Would appreciate any advice. Many Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does your son live in San Diego? If not, doesn't he have a job to work at while his apartment is being repaired? Most of our restaurants and coffee shops are doing delivery and take-out. Some have limited outdoor seating and a few have even more limited indoor seating. In San Diego, Covid 19 is taken seriously. We wear masks. We socially distance ourselves. Many people in San Diego are still out of work thanks to Covid closings. They may get priority in hiring for newly opened positions.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Barbara. He is not from San Diego but was looking for somewhere warm to go to be outdoors a little. He is social distancing too and always with a mask. He has some work he can do from his computer. I was just thinking it would be nice to have some restaurants or coffee shops nearby with outdoor seating.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 02:00 PM

Yes there are some cute little cottage rentals in the WindnSea or Bird Rock neighborhoods on Airbnb (might be called La Jolla).

Here is an example with a shared laundry
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5029634...Y99rubsaAhUfOW
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Mlgb.... I will check our Airbnb for those areas. Just wondering do the areas of WindnSea and Bird Rock have a little town or are they walking distance to the town of La Jolla?
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 02:58 PM

Bird Rock has an especially famous coffee roaster, Bird Rock Coffee Roasters. There are commercial blocks along La Jolla Blvd at Nautilus for WindnSea area and around Bird Rock Ave at La Jolla Blvd for Bird Rock.

Note that many restaurants are open for takeout or delivery only, not dine-in.

WindnSea is a bit closer to the main La Jolla area.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 26th, 2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you mlgb. I will look into the airbnb's in those two areas. maybe with a preference for Windnsea if its closer to the village.

Any thoughts on Carlsbad or Del Mar? I was a little surprised when doing a quick search online for good bike rentals I didn't see any in the Del Mar vicinity. If that turns out to be the case, then Del Mar might not work anyway.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We used Nancy’s Vacation Rentals and found a nice condo in Mission Bay for six weeks. She covers the whole San Diego area and is very nice to deal with. There should be many available now.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I looked into the bird rock area and it looks really nice. Unfortunately, there are very few airbnb listings though. There seem to be more in WindnSea.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Happy Trvlr.... I'll check it out!
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 08:38 AM

Carlsbad is a bit far, not really San Diego. I like Del Mar, but you'd want to be near the main commercial area (around 10th to 15th on Camino del Mar), not up in the suburban single family area. I used to house sit at the Seapoint Complex, which really isn't too far and is walkable to Torrey Pines State Beach.

I have no idea about bike rentals, but there is a bus service if you need to go somewhere else to pick one up. I'm not even sure if they are doing bike rentals during COVID.

There is a bike coalition in the San Diego area, maybe they have the info.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 30th, 2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much MLGB. Your input about Del Mar is so helpful. I'm drawn for some reason to Bird Rock and to Del Mar. From what I can see, they both seem like vibrant charming areas. Since its hard to pick, I'm even considering splitting the stay into 4 nights in each one. Would that make sense to you? I know of course thats a personal choice