Help with San Diego Trip Planning

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Help with San Diego Trip Planning

I am looking into booking a family trip to San Diego but I am not sure what the best area would be. There are 3 kids ages 14, 12, and 5 to please. Does anyone have a recommendation---La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission Bay, other? I appreciate any ideas.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Depends on your hotel budget, interests, and length of stay. If you give us more info about your plans we can make some recommendations.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM

The Catamaran Hotel was a hit for our family. Nice beach on the lagoon side. It's in Mission Bay. The zoo, SeaWorld, Del Coronado, Old town, Legoland (for 7 and under)are all fun to visit. Gaslamp district has great restaurants (Croce's). Take one of those cable car tours to get a lay of the land. You can jump off anytime and get back on later. San Diego is my favorite place in California. Enjoy!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM

With a family of that size, I would totally recommend renting a condo. We usually stay in Solana Beach, about a half hour north of San Diego, because there are a ton of rentals there. Solana Beach is the next town up from Del Mar--we rent from Dave Stubbs realty and most of their properties are walking distance to the beach at Del Mar (they're right near the fairgrounds).
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:03 PM

You did not say when you were coming to San Diego. If it is soon I also would recommend the Catamaran Hotel. It is on the bay, one block from beach and boardwalk where the kids could go biking, skate boarding, on the beach. Plently of other restaurants around beside the hotel. If its summer I would rent a place in Mission Beach. The kids will love it.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:30 AM

You also didn't mention if you want to be right by an ocean beach. Mission Bay hotels are, as the name implies, by a series of bays -- not right on the ocean -- although it's a short drive. Mission Bay is very close to Sea World.
Also, hotels in downtown or old La Jolla aren't right by large, sandy beaches. Hotels in the La Jolla Shores area are, and we have stayed and liked the Sea Lodge. But La Jolla is farther from the Zoo, Old Town, Balboa Park, and Sea World than the other locations you mentioned.

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the lack of details in the initial posting. We are looking at the end of June/beginning of July for the timing of the trip. Planning on staying about 10 days, possibly splitting the stay in two different areas. Ocean front hotels would be great. We are from the NYC area, so we are used to high prices on accomodations.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM

My parents rented Dec - April in Solana Beach from Dave Stubbs for decades ('77 - '97).
After we left SAN, we rented houses in LaJolla for July or August '81-94.
I agree with Monica Richards.
M
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:07 PM

While the Catamaran is on the bay, the ocean is literally across the street. I think it gives you the best of both worlds - you feel like you're away at a resort at the hotel but just a short walk away and you can swim in the ocean...
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:05 PM
lvk

Another family-friendly place is Paradise Point. www.paradisepoint.com

However, with 5 people for 10 days, I agree with the suggestions to book a condo. Try www.vrbo.com
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM

I would suggest you either stay at the Catamaran or rent a condo on the beach. San Diego Vacation Rentals have very nice condos right on the beach.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:18 AM
ltt

i'd recommend a condo on mission beach. plenty to rent there. plenty of action for the kids - the bay side is only 5 minutes away when you want a more mellow area. make sure they provide parking.