Help with road trip - San Fran to Whister

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a two week trip with my husband and two tween boys in July. We will be flying into LA on 7/8 and out of Seattle on 7/22. I have worked out a basic itinerary but would love some input. I mostly can't figure out where is best to see Redwood trees on my trip. Monday the 14th is open but I don't want to drive 2 hours out of the way to see them. Maybe Big Sur area?

Also I'm planning on driving the coast Santa Barbara to Monterey and then Florence to Newport. Is Astoria worth the drive to on our way Portland - Seattle?

So this is what I have so far:

7/8 Arrive LA. Ronald Regan Library. Night in Santa Barbara

7/9 Drive up the coast to Monterey. Stop at Hearst Castle, Sea Lions. Night in Salinas

7/10 See Redwood trees? Night San Jose Earthquakes game. Night in San Jose

7/11 - San Francisco

7/12 - San Francisco

7/13 - ?? Napa vineyard tour

7/14 - Drive rt. 5 to night in Ashland

7/15 - White water rafting. Night in Ashland

7/16 - Drive to Florance - dune buggy - drive on to night in Portland

7/17 - Seattle

7/18 - Seattle

7/19 - Whistler

7/20 - Whistler

7/21 - Ferry to Victoria for day - night Seattle airport

7/22 - flight home

Would love comments!
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 11:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Comments? Your kids will likely hate you (and each other) after being stuck in the back seat of the car for hours on end w/ very little reward for all that car time.

>>7/9 Drive up the coast to Monterey. Stop at Hearst Castle, Sea Lions. Night in SalinasSalinas OMG no!

>>7/10 See Redwood trees? Night San Jose Earthquakes game. Night in San Jose>7/14 - Drive rt. 5 to night in Ashland
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Henry Cowell State Park is not far from Santa Cruz, and can be visited on the way to San Jose.

Why Salinas. Why not visit the Monterey Aquarium?
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:02 PM

I agree that you are trying to do way too much- I think kids would not enjoy a Napa wine tour for one thing - and there is a lot to see and do on the Oregon coast and you are just doing a drive by.

The northern Ca redwoods are spectacular- you would miss it all
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
My suggested alternative plan -

Day Overnight
8-Jul Santa Barbara
9-Jul Monterey
10-Jul San Jose
11-Jul San Francisco
12-Jul San Francisco
13-Jul Eureka
14-Jul Bandon
15-Jul Hood River
16-Jul Hood River
17-Jul Seattle
18-Jul Seattle
19-Jul Whistler
20-Jul Whistler
21-Jul Mukilteo
22-Jul Fly

Comments -

1. Swap a night in the Columbia Gorge area for the Napa Valley - tons more for the kids to do, some decent and uncrowded wineries, and with two nights, time to enjoy the many attractions of the area - Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, Gorge waterfalls, Herman the Sturgeon at the Bonneville hatchery... Along with the redwoods, the Gorge could easily be the highlight of your trip.

2. Skip Ashland - expensive, hot, crowded. If you really want a night of Shakespeare, do it in Vancouver at Bard on the Beach - http://www.bardonthebeach.org/ - and save a bunch of miles.

3. Stick to the coast (US 101) all the way from SF to Reedsport, Oregon. The best redwood viewing is between the "Avenue of the Giants" south of Eureka and Crescent City. I'd look at Bandon for an overnight on the southern Oregon coast, although Gold Beach would be an alternative if the Rogue jet boats are your aim.

4. Take Oregon Hwy 38 from Reedsport to I-5. Bypass Portland using I-205 and spend two nights in Hood River instead (see above.)

5. Take the much more scenic "eastern" route from Hood River to Seattle - east along the river to US 97, then north through great "old west" country and the Yakama reservation, then into Seattle via I-90. More vineyards in the Yakima Valley should you need more of that.

6. Drop Victoria - you simply don't have enough time. You'd be spending all day waiting for expensive ferries or riding on them. If you want Olde England, fly to Olde England on a different trip.

7. Return from Whistler/Vancouver to Seattle via I-5 to Bellingham, WA Hwy 11 ("Chuckanut Drive") to WA 20, then stop at Deception Pass at the north end of Whidbey Island (spectacular) and spend the night in Mukilteo back on the mainland, unless your flight from Seatac is so early in the morning that you have to spend the night at the airport.

This is still a super fast-paced two weeks, but it avoids unnecessary detours and provides the optimum exposure to the incredible diversity of the region.

Map - http://goo.gl/maps/xssu5
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:13 PM

Gardyloo lays out a really good alternative (the kids will hate you just a little less if you take his advice)
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks Gardyloo. I'm looking it over now.

Janisj my kids won't hate me. Last year we did 2k miles around TX and it was great.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:47 PM

You do NOT want to stay in Salinas, it is a pit, stay in Monterey instead, much nicer and on the ocean. Budget motels along Munras Avenue.
It is a long drive from Santa Barbara to Monterey, maybe stay in Pismo Beach instead (and I LOVE Santa Barbara). From Cambria to Carmel is the Big Sur stretch with slow speed limits and hope you do not get stuck behind a slow RV. Lots of stuff to see so take your time and enjoy with your kids.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

The reason for Ashland for two nights was so we could spend a full day white water rafting. That's a must do on the kids list. Is there somewhere else we could do that if we took the 101 route to Oregon?

I agree about Victoria. I was just pondering it I guess.

Columbia Gorge I'm reading about now. Is Mount St. Helen worth the detour?
Thx!
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Jamie - well now I know why the hotels are 1/2 the price in Salinas over Monterey!
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 01:02 PM

>> now I know why the hotels are 1/2 the price in Salinas)
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 02:37 PM

The reason for Ashland for two nights was so we could spend a full day white water rafting. That's a must do on the kids list. Is there somewhere else we could do that if we took the 101 route to Oregon?

Alternatives -

Lower Rogue River (jetboats) from Gold Beach - http://www.roguejets.com/

White Salmon River, Columbia Gorge (very close to Hood River) - http://www.wetplanetwhitewater.com/ (several others.)

At Whistler - http://wedgerafting.com/

One important thing to note is that this is a VERY poor winter for snow pack in the Northwest, the source of any whitewater rivers. You should brace yourselves for the chance of extremely poor rafting conditions anywhere along your route. By July it's highly possible that rafting will be curtailed or even unavailable at many of the normal sites. No promises, of course, it could still snow a ton, but the odds are against it at the moment.

As for Mt. St. Helens, sure, it's worth a stop, although doing so would come with a time and boredom penalty. I-5 between Portland and Seattle is very boring, plus getting up to the Johnston Ridge visitor center and back adds around three hours to the drive from Portland to Seattle. If you stay at Hood River in the Gorge, there are so many things to see and do for two days that Mt. St. Helens might not be so compelling. On the "eastern" route I proposed, you could stop at Maryhill Museum and the nearby Stonehenge replica - weird and wonderful. http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/

Google "Oneonta Gorge" and look at the pictures, for an example of the things one can do around the Columbia Gorge.

Some views of the Gorge area -

Vista House and the Gorge - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_5a.JPG
Latourelle Falls - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_42b.JPG
Mount Hood from Hood River Valley - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_85a.JPG
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 02:54 PM

The jet boats at Gold Beach are fun- not exactly rafting but entertaining. The drivers will do lots of spins, create huge wakes, get everyone wet. you might see some wildlife- bears, eagles, otters etc.

There are lots of raft trips available out of Eugene on the McKenzie River- all day and 1/2 day trips.

There are also many wineries in the Eugene area- and no huge tasting fees like they have in Napa.

Also in Eugene- we have the largest covered skate board park in the country- just in case the kids are into skateboarding.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

OK great info again. I had read about the snow caps (lack of) and picked the Upper Klamath because of the dams so the flow of water will be there. But I'd rather not do two days in Ashland or go up I5 if there is a reliable alternative. I wonder if the McKenzie is dammed - I must google.

The jet boat have no allure I'm afraid. Too many similar super soaker boats around here.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 04:35 PM

Link to rafting the McKenzie.

http://www.highcountryexpeditions.com/home/hce/page_259

Their office is at Belnap Hot Springs- which is a resort where you could rent a cabin or a lodge room. Beautiful spot with pool heated from the hot springs and beautiful grounds to roam-
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 04:43 PM

Just googled the McKenzie flow rates at Leaburg (near Springfield) and they're at near-historic (25 years) lows. If it doesn't snow, having dams won't make much difference by July.

Frankly, as cramped as your trip already is, I'd be looking for "twofer" or "threefer" areas where there are other things to do if the rafting is poor or nonexistent (hence my suggestions of the Gorge or Whistler itself.) Going all the way to the Upper McKenzie, Klamath, or Umpqua rivers is a massive detour, and if it's a trip in vain...?
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:11 PM

I would not count on any white water rafting anywhere in CA or OR this summer . . . or at least none worth any sort of detour.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:13 PM

How about sea kayaking?? Not the 'thrills', but at least there will be water . . .
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Looks like I can do just as well white water rafting (or not at the case will probably be) in the Columbia Gorge area - I think it was White Salmon River. At least that won't be a detour and it keeps me off Rt5. Ok awesome!
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The kids might like windsurfing on the Columbia River at Hood River. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/local-knowledge/faq/
Why do you want to go to a Canadian ski resort in the middle of summer? I advise against taking a US rental car into Canada even if the rental contract allows it.
If you do want to go north of Seattle, do it on an Amtrak train or bus. Vancouver is an interesting city but don't try to drive a car there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -