Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with planning a driving trip to North West USA

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago my husband, three children and myself spent a wonderful 6 weeks on a camping holiday of the North West of USA - From Glacier Nation Park through Montana, down to Yellowstone, over the Oregon Trail to just south of Portland, up to Mt Reineer NP, over to Spokane and back up to BC and back to Alberta where we were living at the time. DH and I are giving ourselves 3 weeks to see more of that region, by ourselves now, and would love some input by Fodorites as to what we must not miss now. We have been around the World several times and the NW still remains on of our favourite areas in the World because of its Natural beauty and scenic wonder. We will be leaving from San Fransisco, returning to Australia, but as yet have not booked the sector from Honolulu into the mainland NW USA to start our trip so any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM

It looks like you had not visited California and southern Oregon. Even if flying into SF, you can still do the camping if you are willing to invest initially about $300 for tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and cooking equipment. Any Target, KMart or large sporting goods store will have the equipment you need. The weather is generally mild with little rain so that you do not need first-class equipment.

In terms of what to see: the Mendocino coast, the redwoods (camping can be a problem in that the area id very popular). The Oregon coast, especially the dunes area, Lassen NP, Crater Lake NP. You might want to visit Mt. St. Helens even if you did see it after it blew up because the flora keeps on changing.

My trip reports might be useful:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34540668

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35084132
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for that information Michael. Do you think that the campsites will be open & easy to get into from April 18th - May 11th?
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM

There should be no problem on lower elevations, especially along the coast, and no problem in getting a campsite. Higher elevations, such as Lassen and Crater Lake might still have snow. You might want to see if you can contact the various local NP headquarters to ask them about it. Plan for very cool nights, and rain is still much more likely than in the summer.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Mid-April is a little early to camp in the Pacific NW. Even in Northern California, the mountains will still be under snow and the nights cold except right on the Coast. You can do it (or stay in Inns) but the weather will be better further south.

Yosemite Valley is often beautiful at that time of year and so is Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Parks in the desert. Another great destination is Zion National Park in southern Utah.

Washington and Western Canada are also some of my favorite areas (maybe my favorites) but I don't consider going on a camping trip there until June.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM

http://www.treehouses.com/
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your invaluable information. Now though you have reminded me how much I wanted to go back to the Canyonlands and Yosemite so perhaps a loop through those first before heading to the coast only of Oregon and Washington. Will do day trips up to higher altitudes I think in view of your comments.